May sell my 997 before I take delivery

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 01:00 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually,

You should be able to avoid the 7 % sales tax by leasing and then "conducting" the transfer through your accomodating dealer. Or substituting a buyer from the get go.

That way everybody wins, unless the Dealer will not (unlikely) give you a 6% discount on the next car.

It would seem that you ought to pass along all the discount to encourage someone to take the car of your hands (since it mighn't be quite what they wanted), maintain your relationship with the dealer; and you get what you want in the spring.

As they say in the market:

Bulls make money,
Bears make money,

Hogs get slaughtered!
Old 10-11-2004, 01:04 PM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car should be in by Thursday so it probably won't matter. As i have said before if it is not sold by the time it arrives I will gladly take it.

I respect both sides of this issue, although I don't understand the "sleeze" comments.

I guess the good news if I didn't respect the opinions of all members of this board and their right to voice them they wouldn't have bothered me so much.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:14 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OH997, the issue I brought up in my original post is trying to profit on something you don't actually own, and the POSSIBILITY (capitalized intentionally) that your original intent was to profit all along. Admittedly, this may not and according to your previous post, is definitely not the case.
If you owned the car outright, then you can sell it for whatever you can get.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Niels Jĝrgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eh Ok, let me try to understand. If OH997 had taken delivery of the car, driven a few hundred miles and sold it for MSRP+x it would be fine with you, but selling it off the lot at MSRP-3% is not?

SO, if you were to actually take OH997 up on his offer, it would be cool with you to pay MSRP +, say 3%, if he drove the car around the block first? I am sure that can be arranged.

I've heard stranger things, but not many.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:46 PM
sjsharks
Racer

Trying to figure out what you just posted is stranger.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:49 PM
OH997
Pro

This will be my last post to try to justify my logic but the reality is that if I did what some suggest to be ethical, the Rennlist memeber who bought it would have to pay more since I would first have to pay sales tax. I negotiated a good deal based on the money I have spent with this dealer and my loyalty. The fact is there seems to be much more interest in the ethics than the car so the point is probably moot.

As far as my intentions I can tell you that I have been Porsche-less since I sold my cab in late June(way faster than I'd hoped) and I have been sick about it. It is far from tragic (in fact one of the happiest days of my life) that by the end of the week I will be driving my car. I'll lament the first snowfall, but all else is good.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:42 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Niels, it's not his to sell off the lot.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Niels Jĝrgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I tend to disagree; Unless OH997 pass on the car, it will be his, so no-one else is getting it unless he says so which, for all practical purposes, makes it his car.

Besides, I don't see how that is relevant to the buyer.

As long as the current owner (Porsche AG, the dealership, whoever) eventually gets whatever price they're asking (MSRP-6%) and as long as the buyer will not have to pay anymore than he has been promised (MSRP-3%), no-one has been cheated out of anything. It's not like a potential buyer could bypass OH997, go directly to the dealership and grab the car for MSRP-6%. Or even MSRP-5% for that matter.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:48 PM
MNJohn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Niels Jĝrgensen
It's not like a potential buyer could bypass OH997, go directly to the dealership and grab the car for MSRP-6%. Or even MSRP-5% for that matter.
Huh-how are you possibly able to come to that conclusion from the facts??? If OH997 would just pass on the car the dealer might very well be willing to sell the car to the next buyer in line for MSRP-6% to get a quick sale (especially as the car to the next buyer will not be a “special order” and winter is on its way). The problem is that it appears OH997 is trying to skim 3% off MSRP on the deal and did not volunteer this information until another Rennlist poster called him on it.

You’re correct that OH997’s profit making attempt is perfectly within the scope of a market economy and there is no shame in making an honest profit. There are however some of us capitalists who are actually grateful for our fortunes in life that allow us to buy a 911 and don’t feel the need to make an extra couple of bucks off our fellow enthusiasts on this forum to subsidize our hobby.

Last edited by MNJohn; 10-11-2004 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:41 AM
Niels Jĝrgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MNJohn
Huh-how are you possibly able to come to that conclusion from the facts??? If OH997 would just pass on the car...
That's kind of what I said, isn't it? IF OH997 pass on the car. Meaning, an alternative buyer cannot get to that car unless OH997 pass on it first. So, the car is available to other buyers at OH997's sole discression, which means it's his car to sell, just as much as if it had been parked in his garage.

Originally Posted by MNJohn
some of us ... don’t feel the need to make an extra couple of bucks off our fellow enthusiasts.
That is exactly the attitude I don't get. Stop thinking of it in terms of how much someone else makes and start thinking of it in terms of whether or not this is a good deal to you. If it's not, pass on it. If it is, go for it. No need for name calling because someone puts HIS car up for sale and stands to make a profit from it.

Even if this was in fact speculation, what of it? If no-one wants it, he'd loose his deposit or be forced to buy a car he couldn't afford or didn't want. His problem.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:00 AM
Christer
Race Car

Well said Niels, all you other guys need to stop the bitterness and the jealousy. If you want it go for it, if not just STFU (respectfully)
Old 10-12-2004, 08:17 AM
Loopysnarechop
Cruisin'

i had a situation last year when i could not be without the £ due to a deal about to happen.
i took delivery of a C4S Cab and had forward sold it (4-5 days before delivery) to a trader for £5,000 over list. He - in turn - thought it to be a £10,000 over list value car.
I used the 5K to help fund a property deal which made me smile.
I was miffed that i couldn't take the C4S Cab for myself as my everyday car - as originally intended - but i came out of it well nonetheless (although i ran an Audi A4 for a few months).
My property deal happened nicely...& now i have a C2S coming.
Interestingly - the dealer who took my car was advertising it for 3-4 months with the price being lowered every so often. I believe he eventually sold it for close to "list" - taking a £5K "hit" in the process.
So....for once an amateur did OK! The pro got it wrong. Lesson to be learnt here is If you are a speculator - you are going to get burnt sometimes....even the pro's get it wrong!
I was very lucky.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

997's are readily available at discounts deeper than 3%
Old 10-12-2004, 11:33 AM
sjsharks
Racer

Lets keep the facts straight.

997 does not own the car.
997 never intends to own the car.(In this scenario)
Porsche owns the car.
You would be buying the car from PORSCHE.

In all reality, 997 has absolutely nothing to do with the transaction. With all due respects to 997, he is selling air. He never took title, and never will.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by sjsharks
Lets keep the facts straight.

997 does not own the car.
997 never intends to own the car.(In this scenario)
Porsche owns the car.
You would be buying the car from PORSCHE.

In all reality, 997 has absolutely nothing to do with the transaction. With all due respects to 997, he is selling air. He never took title, and never will.
I have determined you are a fool, and as such no further dialog on this subject will be entered into. Just let go.

Quick Reply: May sell my 997 before I take delivery