Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May sell my 997 before I take delivery

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 05:16 PM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

MNJohn, I guess I am not smart enough to know how selling it for a discount is the same as gouging for a hot car.

Tahoeblue, you feel the investment aspect of my post is offensive? Why? Don't we all wish that the cars didn't depreciate as quickly as they do and therefore our investments would be better protected?

SJSharks, how is someone doing me a favor? I will keep the car if noone else is not interested.

Bottom-line is this is a free-market econonmy and the only way I will seel of the car is if someone on this board feels that a 3% discount on a car they get immediately is meaningful to them. It's clear it means nothing to you, but that's your choice.

I paid for my membership on this board when I bought my c4 cab. I did not join this forum to "broker" a car.

In the final analysis I know I won't change your opinions and I respect that. What I don't respect is someone who doesn't know me callimg me a sleeze.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:39 PM
tahoeblue
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't find the investment aspect of your sale offensive, only that it has taken this long for you to acknowledge it.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Sobe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said you ordered your car three months ago ... so what are the details ... optons .. color ... when is it comming in etc .. price ... so someone can see if they want it or not .
Old 10-10-2004, 09:05 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

There is a 997S listed on ebay that appears to be the same car. Bid is around $71,000.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:15 PM
OH997
Pro

Tahoeblue, never said I bought it as an investment. I simply asked why you found the notion offensive. I bought it to drive it. I acknowledged days ago that I was not passing the entire discount along.

At this point I have received so much grief I could care less if someone on this board is interested. I will no longer defend my motives. It’s interesting that my dealer has no problem with the transaction.

If three months ago I had found someone was able to get me this car at a 3% discount with no wait I would have gladly jumped on it. For some reason I have been vilified because I am trying to make a sound financial decision. Come April I will either be driving a 997, it’s just a matter of which one. To call me a speculator who does not respect Porsche is unfair. I have had a lot of great cars but my Porsche’s have been the only ones that have moved me enough to visit a bulletin board on a daily basis. I love Porsche but I must admit I don't always understand those that drive them.

I would guess that every member of this board operates in some capacity to make profit. But in the case of the car it is sacrilegious.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:25 PM
tahoeblue
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Despite all the feedback, I think you still just don't get it.

I'm sure everyone on this board acts in some capacity to make a profit, as you suggest. We just don't do it while on this board trying to make a profit from each other.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:35 PM
OH997
Pro

So none of the items that get sold on this board are sold at a profit? When Alfie lists a car on the board, not the classifieds, he is selling it at a loss? When other members tell us about bumper plugs etc they are selling them at cost?

You're right, I don't get it.

If your point is that I should be a paid sponsor to do this then I stand by may comment several posts ago to move the post if it is inappropriate.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:59 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

oh997's post seems reasonable. if he turned around, and tried to sell it for msrp plus, then he would be a scum bag, for trying to take advantage of people during a high demand period. he is passing some of his discount along to the buyer. if there is no market for his deal, he will keep the car. not unreasonable.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:37 AM
OH997
Pro

Thanks docjackson1.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Niels Jørgensen
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I understand this correctly, OH997 orders, and places a downpayment on, a car he expects to be able to drive this season. Come end of season, still no car, so OH997 figures it makes more sense to pass the car onto someone else (who might still be able to enjoy the car this year) than to buy it and put it in storage for 6 months.

He even offers a 3% discount over MSRP.

The fact that he "keeps" 3% for himself makes what difference exactly? Think about it, what if he'd really been given a discount of 12% and was offering it here at MSRP-6%, claiming that was the price he got at the dealership. Would that make you guys feel better?

I'm guessing it would, which suggest to me that you'd rather be lied to than actually knowing how much profit people make on you. Ignorance is bliss, eh?

When goods changes hands, profits are made - get over it...
Old 10-11-2004, 11:17 AM
sjsharks
Racer

I think it might depend on the term "sale".

I'm not real clear if 997 is really selling something he actually owns. The car seems to belong to Porsche as we speak. And title will never pass into 997s hands. It is almost a type of futures sale in the Stock Market.

If true, it does call into question of whether this meets all the conditions of a sale in the traditional sense.

997 can correct me if I am wrong but it seems like he selling that which is not his, and attempting to make a profit on something he never owned. He seems to be acting(not intentionally) as a surrogate agent of the Dealer.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:38 AM
Christer
Race Car

i am with 'oh997' on this one - even if he tried to sell it above MSRP. Its a free market, if you don't want to buy the car or option at WHATEVER price then fine - just ignore.

I have heard this jealous talk before.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:44 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Will the dealer pass the discount on to someone other than to whom the original discount deal was made?

Perhaps if the car is not taken, a similar discount can be negotiated, at 3% straight its a better deal for the new buyer, and the middleman is cut out. Would not the dealer rather give a 3% discount than give 6%.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:34 PM
OH997
Pro

As long as I order another 997 for myself, and I will, the dealer will honor the deal to me and sell to the new buyer. The difference is MY car will be slated for a spring delivery.

I chose this rooute versus buying it since taking delivery and then selling would force me to pay 7% sales tax and then I would have to mark the car up to sell it and not lose money. No one on this board woujld benefit from that. I am also not going to tell the dealer he has to put the car back on the market in Northeast Ohio in late October. Although I know he will eventually sell the car it could sit on the lot for some time.

I guess I can see the "speculator" aspect but I can assure you my intention was and is to get a 997 for myself. As I said, if the car arrives and no one is interested I will keep it and be thrilled.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:36 PM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

I am really having a problem understanding some of the people posting in this thread.

1. If I have a car that is in demand and people are willing to pay 20% over MSRP, why should I sell it at MSRP? (When cars are slow moving people don't have a problem paying less than MRSP)

2. "How you can you sell something you don't own?". Gimme a break, people buy and sell options ALL the time.

3. If there isn't a rule ,I would say there should be. This should be in classifieds.

Quick Reply: May sell my 997 before I take delivery