Sponsored by:

Cost of Special Paint Colours

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 08:29 AM
jonboy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of Special Paint Colours

I agree with the previous posts on cobalt blue and am pretty sure I will be ordering cobalt exterior and grey interior. A couple of questions though:-

1) Cobalt is listed as a "special" exterior colour, any ideas whether this will cost more than standard metallic?

2) Also noticed a suggestion to put a protective film over the front wings and bonnet as cobalt is especially liable to stone chipping - can this be done by the dealer and approx what is it likely to cost.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

jonboy
Old 09-19-2004, 09:55 AM
cooz
Pro

cobalt does carry an additional charge....i can let you the number tomorrow if that helps.

cooz 95 C2
Old 09-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Sobe
Pro

http://www.autosupershield.com/#
Old 09-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Ide like to say special paint is around $3200. I remember seeing that somewhere. I might be think of paint to sample though. Either way, special colors are more than metallics.

I recommend the 3M clearmask product. A professional installer SHOULD be used. The some dealerships work with installers, so you might want to ask. Otherwise, the first place you go after delivery should be an installer! I took my black car immediately and the paint still looks brand new even after a full winter of snow and sand.

It can run anywhere from $500 - $1500 depending on the installer and how much you do.
I paid $850 and did the whole front bumper area, side skirts, mirrors, inside door handles, edges of doors, parts of quarter panels, 1/4 hood, front valence, and headlights. The headlights are done using thicker material and can withstand a rock up to 130mph. I had a few extra pieces done as well custom, and the guy cut them by hand right on the car. I also have a lifetime warranty and can have panels redone for free.

Then again, its up to you. There is a 911 down here that my installer did. The guy requested the whole car, THE WHOLE CAR. That obviously cost more. My 944 was quoted at around $1000 for a full job like my other car.

Oh, it also helps for bugs! After a long trip with millions of bugs splattered and hardened on your bumper, ITS OK! Just get a moist towel, or bug remover, and wipe them right off! Its vinyl they end up on, not your paint! Same with bird droppings.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:03 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Special Paint= $3070
Forest Green Metallic
Cobalt Blue Metallic
Slate Grey Metallic
Dark Olive Metallic
GT Silver Metallic

Paint to Sample = $4315 (usually results in a production delay of 3 to 6 months)
Old 09-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJones
(usually results in a production delay of 3 to 6 months)
sends shivers down my spine
Old 09-22-2004, 09:27 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I think the paint to sample is a 3-6 month delay, but not the special paints, which are semi-standard colors. The 05 order guide shows $3,070 extra cost for cobalt (a beautiful color IMHO).
Old 09-23-2004, 12:22 AM
DD694
Instructor

Standard metallic paints are US$825, so the actual upcharge for Special Metallic Paint over the standard metallic paint is "only" US$2,245.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:25 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

OK wait, does paint to sample mean ANY color? what if you order a color that porsche has used before, such as riviera blue? how much would that cost?
Old 09-23-2004, 03:46 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Paint to sample is $4,315. It means ANY color (with a caveat that not all paint colors are possible and PAG may require a paint sample to conduct feasibility testing), and usually results in a production delay of 3-6 months. I assume most previously used Porsche colors, such as Riviera Blue, shouldn't be a problem, just a matter of cost and delay. ("ANY color" means except standard colors and the special colors listed in the order guide, such as cobalt blue.)
Old 09-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

If you really want to delay the car, order paint to sample and specify Gulf Blue as the color. The delay will vary depending on how long it takes you change colors as paint to sample requires Porsche's approval and some colors they won't approve.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Ha, see thats what they "say". I bet they WILL do any color. All you need is a willing checkbook and a trip to Germany. Werks 1 is up to most challenges I hear. Remember though, if Porsche strangely isnt up to it, i bet Ruf would be! Save your money on options and paint and have the car sent straight to them. Give them your option list and color combos and get something back even more special than before!
Old 09-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Tony: I speak from experience regarding Gulf Blue, not mine but a friend's. Funny you'd mention Ruf. I was going to add to my post that I'd bet Ruf would be very willing to accomodate one if Porsche wouldn't but I haven't heard of them doing any 997 work yet.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:31 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Again, they havent...YET! Open your checkbook and they will tomorrow! Otherwise its just a matter of months.

What kind of offer did your friend make? Asking for a color is different than faxing a request with a check stapled and having them fax it back with their price and name filled out. Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, they all do it. Big dollars make very special cars! Ive seen some wild stuff. Custom embossed leathers..."special" color combos...silk instead of carpeting...its not common, but its out there.

Quick Reply: Cost of Special Paint Colours