Sponsored by:

Mods for Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:45 AM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods for Carrera S

How much HP increase can you get with an exhaust, software upgrade and an air intake?

Last edited by MoneyBiz; 09-14-2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:05 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You will get a little, you always do, cost/ benefit worth it?, not likely.
Bigger question is: can you drive the car at its limits in stock form, not likely,
Learn to drive first, then look for more HP if what you have is not enough.

In it's stock form it's alot of car
Old 09-14-2004, 12:41 PM
RSA333
Racer

I agree that improving your driving skills, unless you are a Lucas Lohr, is the best route to increasing performance.

However, when in Germany recently, there were a number of aftermarket tuners selling enhancements to the 997S, including remapped ECUs, exhaust and suspension modifications to the PASM. I assume we will eventually read about the utility of these on the list or elsewhere.

-----------------
05 997S (October build)
92 RSA
93 911 Turbo S2
80 SC
Old 09-14-2004, 12:49 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyBiz
How much HP increase can you get with an exhaust, software upgrade and an air intake?
you talk as if these components are generic. Some parts have been dyno'd and shown to actually REDUCE power whereas other yield modest gains. Be careful about marketing hype!
Old 09-14-2004, 01:52 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good grief, the car is out for a couple of weeks and mods are already being discussed? The car seems to be plenty powerful to me, and I drive a freaking 450+ HP 2500 lb. modified 996 GT3 racecar on weekends! I can "scare" myself with how quickly the 997 S can attain high speeds, and can't imagine why it needs to be any faster for the street.

The biggest problem with mods, in my not so limited experience, is that they tend to sacrifice something in order to get a relatively small power gain. Resonance, lack of torque, and less linearity are just a few of the problems that can occur. Mods are fine if the car is older or truly underpowered, but if the latter is the case for the Carrera S, why buy one when a used 993/996 TT will have more power than any mods are likely to achieve?
Old 09-14-2004, 01:55 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,205 Likes on 657 Posts
Exclamation This is the best mod you can do. Guaranted to make car faster

Yourself!!

Invest in yourself at driving school. Seriously. Do you even have a 997?? I doubt it by your comments, but yet you feel the need to make it faster and handle better. Trust me and others on this board when we say the car is great out of the box and just upgrade yourself.

Join PCA/BMWCCA/Quattro Club these are all great places to learn car control.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

unlike other cars, intake and exhaust on modern porsches buys you very very little performance gains.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:26 AM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:25 AM
RSA333
Racer

There seems to be some confusion about modifying the 997.

Saying that "seat time" is the most important determinant of performance is rather obvious, yet at the same time, everyone on this list touts the innate performance characteristics of these cars.

The 997 was released in Europe first (not everything revolves around the USA), and Porsche subcontractors have had access to the engineering specs for quite some time.

While it may be true that modifications to the exhuast, air intake, etc yield modest gains in modern 911s (with the exception of the turbocharged variants), decreases in weight do yield quite a bit. The exhaust on this car is very heavy, as is the car itself, and lightening the car can yield significant improvements.

Just my $0.02

--------------------

92 RSA
93 911 Turbo S2
80 SC
Old 09-19-2004, 12:54 PM
jonboy
AutoX

I agree with the point about lightening the car but if you make a significant saving, say on exhaust, won't you upset the balance of the car and in some way decrement handling characteristics?

jonboy
Old 09-19-2004, 01:14 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Skip in Boulder
Good grief, the car is out for a couple of weeks and mods are already being discussed? The car seems to be plenty powerful to me, and I drive a freaking 450+ HP 2500 lb. modified 996 GT3 racecar on weekends! I can "scare" myself with how quickly the 997 S can attain high speeds, and can't imagine why it needs to be any faster for the street.

The biggest problem with mods, in my not so limited experience, is that they tend to sacrifice something in order to get a relatively small power gain. Resonance, lack of torque, and less linearity are just a few of the problems that can occur. Mods are fine if the car is older or truly underpowered, but if the latter is the case for the Carrera S, why buy one when a used 993/996 TT will have more power than any mods are likely to achieve?
I couldn't agree more. I've been modifying bmws for ten years, and found, in the end, the modified product oftentimes gave up too much. Issues with NVH, non-linearity extend to suspension mods as well. Few aftermarket companies can even remotely approach the R&D that Porsche does with its components, and I think it's extraordinally difficult to outdo the factory.

My current 'modification' philosophy revolves around those things you have to do to withstand some fast open lapping: Rcomps and brake pads. Fortunately my current 996 (and hopefully its replacement 997S) is so good out of the box, that only tires/wheels and pads are necessary for some fun track days.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:17 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by RSA333
suspension modifications to the PASM.
Really? What did you see?

Quick Reply: Mods for Carrera S