Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got it back from the shop and noticed this!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024 | 02:39 AM
BeeBurr
Intermediate

Default Got it back from the shop and noticed this!

Saturday of a long weekend and my shop was still able to get my car to me…
With them being so accommodating. Should still complain of some minor issue?

Anyway, here’s my issue. I notice immediately upon getting into my car.

Both switches still work, just like they were pushed in.

So is this 1. Worth bringing up to my shop as an issue or
2. Easy fix don’t be a Karen?

Last edited by BeeBurr; 08-08-2024 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2024 | 04:48 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The switch is held in by small plastic clips. Hard to tell if it was just bumped/pushed in and clips fine or if broken.

Would require taking the door panel off and seeing. I think best case scenario it clips back in, second best is the tab is broken on the switch. Worst is the broken tab on the door panel.

Could also try pulling the switches out and seeing if it snaps into place.

Many write ups on this. Just google window switch replacement.
Old 08-08-2024 | 08:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

We're they working on the door panel or inside that door? If so, they didn't clip that switch into the backside properly. Panel will need to come off again to correct as @kellen says
Old 08-08-2024 | 12:07 PM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

Depends on the indy. Mines a god send and saved me a ton of cash over the years. I'm only bringing that back to him if it was something real expensive or I couldn't do myself. If its otherwise and the prices aren't really that great Id bring it back after trying to pull gently as others said.
Old 08-08-2024 | 10:32 PM
M3Cavalry
Rennlist Member

I’d sure make them fix it.
Old 08-09-2024 | 02:26 AM
BeeBurr
Intermediate

“We're they working on the door panel or inside that door?“

No, they weren’t not at all. Which is odd right. Would bumping into the door cause it?
The shops great, which makes me even more hesitant about bringing it up.

Last edited by BeeBurr; 08-09-2024 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2024 | 02:48 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Not sure I understand the issue. Tell the shop and just it’s not urgent but you need to taken care of when their schedule lightens up or when you need some other service. Just make sure they’re aware of it.
Old 08-09-2024 | 02:55 PM
FLPorsche
Track Day

There’s nothing “Karen” about expecting value for money, or for any shop to treat your car with respect and at a MINIMUM return it to you like they received it. They screwed it up, make them fix it. Any reputable shop would be embarrassed and will gladly make it right; if not, maybe it's time to find a new shop. These people aren’t doing you favors—you’re paying them.
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (08-11-2024)
Old 08-09-2024 | 03:07 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLPorsche
There’s nothing “Karen” about expecting value for money, or for any shop to treat your car with respect and at a MINIMUM return it to you like they received it. They screwed it up, make them fix it. Any reputable shop would be embarrassed and will gladly make it right; if not, maybe it's time to find a new shop. These people aren’t doing you favors—you’re paying them.
THIS

I am sure if you're polite about it and like workhurts suggests even flexible about the timeline to fix, the shop will make things right.
The following users liked this post:
FLPorsche (08-09-2024)
Old 08-09-2024 | 06:07 PM
wamcneil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BeeBurr

No, they weren’t not at all. Which is odd right. Would bumping into the door cause it?
If the shop wasn't working on the door, they'll probably be pretty reluctant to take responsibility for that. Sure, they could have bumped it while working on the car. But maybe the parts are brittle, and it was inevitable. Maybe you bumped it yourself while getting out of the car the last time and just didn't notice.
I suppose there's no harm is taking it to them and saying you are certain it wasn't like that when you dropped it off, but don't be a karen and be prepared to accept no for an answer...
In a past life I ran a shop and it was pretty common for the customer to find something wrong and incorrectly blame it on us. One time a customer accused us of stealing his CD collection out of the car and found it at home a week later. Another time a lady accused us of "attempting" to steal her crappy factory GM radio. I assured her that if any of my guys had wanted to steam her radio, it for darn sure wouldn't have been an "attempted" theft...
Old 08-09-2024 | 11:20 PM
RandyVW
Advanced

One of the conundrums I run into these days.....dealing with shops is "trust" regarding them vs me.

I can do most anything myself but sometimes choose not to. In the case of a door panel removal....(and being that they're probably 'mechanical' shop folk)......I'd trust myself over them.

Now maybe someone there is familiar with door cards in general but if not, they'll probably have to research & learn themselves and you might be just as qualified as them at that point.

I've already done a couple repairs in both of my door cards since some of the fiddly/small bits in there are simply getting brittle now over time. Gorilla tape/glue/etc are a fantastic tool. Should you get a peak yourself in there and find that there are no longer "tabs" or "retainers" sufficient enough (i.e. broken) to hold those switches in place, you can easily make as good as new with use of those tools.

Post-covid, my trust level for goods and services has gone WAAAAY down. (This world is a very different place now, imho)

There's often more than one way to skin a cat and at times I just have to shake my head at the way some "professionals" have chosen to do so.
Old 08-10-2024 | 12:26 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BeeBurr

Chose your battles.

Remove the door panel, snap it back in place, and reattached door panel. Go for a long drive and count your blessings that you drive one of the best sports cars ever built.

The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
928FIXER (08-12-2024), Scalp_em (08-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Got it back from the shop and noticed this!