Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 cylinder damage from incorrect spark plugs installed in Raby engine - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,866 Likes on 2,879 Posts

So the Thread should read: "Changed plugs, accidentily may have had broken shot glass shards fall into spark plug holes causing scoring"

Last edited by groovzilla; Yesterday at 06:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by groovzilla:
cwheeler (Yesterday), SpectreH (Today)
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 219 Posts

This post is chock full o' things that scare the bejeezus out of me: bore scoring, egregious oil consumption, and self-inflicted maintenance SNAFUs. HOWEVER, I am incredibly impressed by and grateful for:

1. The absolutely generous and steady-handed input from @Charles Navarro

and

2. This community that genuinely aims to help 997 owners (somewhat inexperienced, occasionally careless and perpetually paranoid) like me with their four wheeled babies.

I sincerely wish the OP a quick and easy resolution to his current issues with no further headaches down the road. And thanks, again, to Charles and the seasoned vets like @ZuffenZeus for figuring this out.
The following 4 users liked this post by Hootsama:
cwheeler (Yesterday), groovzilla (Yesterday), Stephen-LN (Today), TerrestrialFlyte (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 137 Posts

Groovezilla is a much nicer guy than his photo seems.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 688 Likes on 428 Posts

Just wow! Damn!
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts

In the OP's defense when I first responded to this thread it had a different title. In one of the first few posts the OP was told to change it to "Jake Raby rebuild has Bore Scoring".

That being said it would have been helpful to have all the facts. But my vote would be to not delete this thread. It still contains good information like the deglazing procedure and sometimes I come back to search these threads for reputable information from reliable sources.

This thread is a reminder that it's smart to buy parts only from a reputable source and always using your VIN to be sure you don't get the wrong part. I personally also would have used an OE AOS from a Porsche dealer (many sell online at cost + fixed margin) not using a kit from Pelican. Even OE AOSs have failed out of the box but on a part so important it's still your best bet. Aftermarket AOSs should be avoided. Even if the Pelican one was "OE" I wouldn't be surprised if it's from WorldPac, etc.....
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 340 Posts

Agreed, good info in the thread.
Old Today, 01:02 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,007 Posts
Default I'm going to be straight and to the point.

Originally Posted by tbobby910
No engine noise but oil consumption was a quart every 300-500 miles. I parked it for awhile and then replaced AOS as I was told it was bad (manometer vacuum test at shop).
Obviously, you had a failing AOS that was verified by a reputable Porsche shop. I assume either Mack Motorwerks or Velocity Motorwerks. You then carried out the work by yourself instead of paying the shop. (correct me if I'm wrong). Along with replacing the AOS, water pump, and thermostat, you also replaced all 6 spark plugs that turned out to be the wrong parts. As you mentioned in the other thread, they were longer which meant they protruded into the combustion chamber thus coming in contact with the pistons. You confirmed this by stated that the 3 spark plugs on bank#2 all had broken electrodes along the bore scope photographs in this thread. You never pointed that out in this thread which wasted our time.

Your other big concern was oil consumption. All flat 6 engines either from the factory or rebuilt, will consume some oil, but if you have a failing AOS and scored cylinders, oil consumption will increase. The clearances from the FOD gouging allow more oil past the rings. And a failing AOS causes the engine to ingest oil which could eventually lead to hydrolock if not replaced. Countless threads on the subject, especially with tracked M9X based Carreras, Boxsters, and Caymans.

I did not have it bore scoped when I purchased it. Honestly its all a bit frustrating because it seems like it shouldn't have happened but it did...
That was another mistake. At this point, it's all speculation based on the facts. What we do know is that the AOS was failing and confirmed by the Porsche shop. You handled the job yourself and botched the spark plug install. As a result, FOD broke off inside the cylinders and you drove the car until the engine exhibited a CEL for misfires. You replaced the plugs with the correct ones, but could have NOT gotten all the FOD out of the cylinders. You continued to drive the car for another 6 months with possible FOD banging around inside the cylinders. As a result, the current shop has confirmed severe gouging as a result as shown in the bore scope images. That's what we know.

And yes, agree. We own a few investment properties and recently moved out of one of them and we're renting a place while we decide where we want to live. Wife found a house she liked and selling the car was just adding to the down payment. No matter how you slice it, the sale of the car was a nice addition to the house fund. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...11-carrera-41/
Listen to your wife. She seems very smart!

WP0AA29965S716394

So, leaning into the group brain trust to see what the general advice and options are including rough cost estimates.
As others have mentioned, get the car serviced and checked out in light of the cylinder situation. Provide the PPI and Dyno results and be upfront with the buyer about your mistake if you chose to sell it as-is. IMHO, to repair the cylinder damage means the engine will have to be rebuilt again and that would cost as much as you paid for the car. Not smart given you current property investment situation. I'm sure your wife is thrilled to hear the news.

If you sell it as-is, does it mean the car is not ok to drive and perform in spite of the circumstances? IMHO... no. This car could go years without any problem, but coming on a public forum to gain leverage with a title of "Jake Raby rebuild suffers bore scoring - options and help" without being fully upfront with us about YOUR mistake is just plain wrong. The original thread title and your first post implies that FSI engines are no better than the factory when it comes to cylinder bore scoring. I'm glad I was able to see through this "WRECK" (just for you Tom!) of a thread title. That's a hard pill to swallow and I'm sure some of the tender hearted on this forum will find my comment a little harsh. Like me, or hate me. I don't really care. What I do care about is two men and their companies that have spent the better part of 25+ years provided solutions to these engines.

My best advice is get rid of the car and pour your energy and financial resources into your wife and family.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; Today at 01:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
EVOMMM (Today), groovzilla (Today), M3Cavalry (Today)
Old Today, 01:11 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 340 Posts

Fair comment, I think.
The following users liked this post:
M3Cavalry (Today)
Old Today, 01:51 PM
M3Cavalry
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hoping to learn, as I have a new to me 997.2. What function does the AOS perform (beyond the name), what are symptoms of a failing one, and is it a replacement item based on mileage? Am a little concerned about the oil consumption I am seeing on mine but have only 1500mi to assess. Thanks!
Old Today, 01:54 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,121 Posts

As you guys can see, I decided to change the thread title. Not fair to Jake or Charles to have "bore scoring" associated to one of their engine builds when it had nothing to do with the engine they built or quality of their work or processes.

It is a Raby and LN built engine, so I left that reference in the title but removed the mention of scoring. I've also adjusted it one more time so it's clear the incorrect plugs were not installed by FSI as part of the build.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
groovzilla (Today), Tom R. (Today)
Old Today, 02:05 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Cavalry
Hoping to learn, as I have a new to me 997.2. What function does the AOS perform (beyond the name), what are symptoms of a failing one, and is it a replacement item based on mileage? Am a little concerned about the oil consumption I am seeing on mine but have only 1500mi to assess. Thanks!
it’s a vacuum oil separator, so it also serves the primary function of regulating the crankcase vacuum. This is why it can be tested easily with a manometer.

you can read more here:
https://lnengineering.com/products/aos.html?mode=list
Old Today, 02:12 PM
M3Cavalry
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
it’s a vacuum oil separator, so it also serves the primary function of regulating the crankcase vacuum. This is why it can be tested easily with a manometer.

you can read more here:
https://lnengineering.com/products/aos.html?mode=list
great. Thank you.

Quick Reply: 997 cylinder damage from incorrect spark plugs installed in Raby engine - what to do?