Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 cylinder damage from failed spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
spessx
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Which cylinders are in the pictures? Is it 4/5/6?
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
Better yet, post a picture of you looking in the mirror and I'll tell you what an ******* looks like.

Wow, I didn't know I had a twin! or is it a doppelganger? Thanks brutha.

I just ended a two month ordeal with an insurance company. My neighbor hit my parked Mini Cooper SE. It was deemed a total loss. the accident did indeed involve another vehicle, and the words collision, accident, loss and total loss were used. The word wreck was not used once by me or the insurance company. The car was undrivable, it was wrecked. The car drove away from accident on the carfax for my 997, and was used for a while before being fixed. However at the 1/4 mile oval by me when two cars made contact, and when one hit the wall the word wreck was used. Those cars had to be removed from the track by a "wrecker."

Should I be sorry i got your panties in a knot by pointing out an inflammatory term you used to describe someone's car? No.
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Wow, I didn't know I had a twin! or is it a doppelganger? Thanks brutha.
I've learned from the best!
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by tbobby910
I'm sorry to hear that. I am seeing the costs involved to get the car to Atlanta Speedwerks since that is a shop Jake has recommended in the past. I've engaged them and they confirmed they have the experience but think it's bore scoring. I just want to get the parts aligned in a path to fixing, whether it's injectors followed by fuel treatment and reinspection or engine teardown.
If you don't have other issues or do but resolve them and then subsequently need to do the deglazing procedure described by Charles, you can get the Cummins Valvoline Restore he mentions from a Cummins center. I just picked some more up last week and they usually have it in stock but if they don't they can order it for you and usually have it within 2-3 business days. Here is the part number in case you need it because there seems to be a lot of confusion online about this with a similar Valvoline product that is not the same:

The following users liked this post:
cwheeler (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I am seeing the costs involved to get the car to Atlanta Speedwerks since that is a shop Jake has recommended in the past.
I wish you had mentioned (see attachment) this mistake. It would have probably cleared up at least half of the posts on this thread, IMHO. This is the FOD that caused all the scoring hell within the cylinders.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...plugs-1-a.html

At this point, I think you should either request the thread be deleted or get assistance in changing the title of the thread.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; Yesterday at 03:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
groovzilla (Yesterday), Petza914 (Yesterday), wdb (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 589 Posts

All vent tubes were replaced. I used the kit from Pelican Parts. No smoke test completed.
Was the AOS Genuine Porsche?
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I am seeing the costs involved to get the car to Atlanta Speedwerks since that is a shop Jake has recommended in the past. I've engaged them and they confirmed they have the experience but think it's bore scoring. I just want to get the parts aligned in a path to fixing, whether it's injectors followed by fuel treatment and reinspection or engine teardown.
Having just caught up on on this thread, now knowing there was debris from a spark plug I can guarantee that is what caused the scratches/gouges in the plating- that's some hard materials that were bouncing around in there. We know that it is very common for debris from one cylinder to cross-pollinate to other cylinders.

Last I checked with my team, no one has reached out to LN directly to review the photos or ask our opinion, ATL Speedwerks included. As a Certified Installer, they have a direct line to Jake. It's possible that they spoke to Jake, but without all the details, it's hard for anyone to make a firm diagnosis from photos alone.

As discussed previously, a dyno pull to verify the engine is performing well should be sufficient paired with doing used oil analysis test to know if the engine is healthy, once all other issues are resolved that might be contributing to the problem. I would expect oil consumption to improve following the corrective break-in procedure outlined above.

I do want to also mention that it is critical that the engine is not overfilled with oil. This often leads to high oil consumption. Our directive for setting oil level can be found here:

https://lnengineering.com/free-downl...n-and-911.html
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 269 Posts

Thread seems to be missing a HUGE data point. Dude posted about a spark plug issue and the electrode missing from the plug back in January. Why was this not mentioned?

This is not a Jake Raby, FSI, LN, Charles nickies, et. al. issue. This is a maintenance issue that cause a failure.
Youhad a missing piece of spark plug banging around. And call that a build failure?

Really. Freaking. Lame.

The following 5 users liked this post by cwheeler:
GH996 (Yesterday), groovzilla (Yesterday), Rig.Stunts (Yesterday), sburke91 (Yesterday), ZuffenZeus (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,861 Likes on 2,878 Posts

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
I wish you had mentioned (see attachment) this mistake. It would have probably cleared up at least half of the posts on this thread, IMHO. This is the FOD that caused all the scoring hell within the cylinders.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...plugs-1-a.html

At this point, I think you should either request the thread be deleted or get assistance in changing the title of the thread.

Wowzers!!! ----->ZuffenZeus excellent investigation work!! Broken spark plug in the cylinder can certainly cause the gouge/scoring shown in that photo #4 and most likely the culprit.
I agree this thread is uncalled for and should be DELETED considering the horrible service & accident history on this car since 2013 and crappy attempts at mainenance.

May hat is off to you ZuffenZeus

The following 2 users liked this post by groovzilla:
Hootsama (Yesterday), ZuffenZeus (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
tbobby910
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand drawing a correlation however allllllll of these symptoms were present prior to that issue or else I would not have posted.

but, when I am no longer on the road I can modify/remove thread and start a better thread for solutions.
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

I think that would be best. You can clearly see the marks from the FOD on the top of the piston and those are more gouges vs scoring. I can’t imagine your error and those marks are just coincidence. Fortunately, Charles was kind enough to continue providing advice regardless the oversight on your part. To me it demonstrates just how great these guys are.
The following 4 users liked this post by bgoetz:
cwheeler (Yesterday), groovzilla (Yesterday), Hootsama (Yesterday), Rig.Stunts (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,462 Likes on 4,118 Posts

I understand drawing a correlation however allllllll of these symptoms were present prior to that issue or else I would not have posted.

but, when I am no longer on the road I can modify/remove thread and start a better thread for solutions.
So really, the thread should be titled something like "concerned about oil consumption on FSI rebuilt engine" and really has nothing to do with bore scoring caused by an incorrect spark plug being installed and the internal engine damage it coming apart may have caused. That should also be in the first post with the comment that the oil consumption issue was present even before the internal engine damage from the spark plug debris.

Sounds to me like the best course of action is to check the fuel trims, smoke test the intake for any leaks or AOS leaks, then do the cylinder break in process and see where you are.

Attaching a "bore scoring" accusation with Jake's name that had nothing to do with the engine he built isn't fair to either Jake or Charles and becomes more click-bait than fact.

I'm seriously considering deleting the whole thread and letting us start over or at least changing the title.
The following 4 users liked this post by Petza914:
bgoetz (Yesterday), sburke91 (Yesterday), TerrestrialFlyte (Yesterday), wdb (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
spessx
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm pretty relieved to see that this is a wrong spark plug issue. It just didn't make sense. It seems like the motors that score are the ones that had the crappy piston coatings. Once you change the pistons, and further harden the cylinders, how could they score?
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
So really, the thread should be titled something like "concerned about oil consumption on FSI rebuilt engine" and really has nothing to do with bore scoring caused by an incorrect spark plug being installed and the internal engine damage it coming apart may have caused. That should also be in the first post with the comment that the oil consumption issue was present even before the internal engine damage from the spark plug debris.

Sounds to me like the best course of action is to check the fuel trims, smoke test the intake for any leaks or AOS leaks, then do the cylinder break in process and see where you are.

Attaching a "bore scoring" accusation with Jake's name that had nothing to do with the engine he built isn't fair to either Jake or Charles and becomes more click-bait than fact.

I'm seriously considering deleting the whole thread and letting us start over or at least changing the title.

agree except I’m not sure anyone can prove the issues occurred before the plug failure.

Seems very suspect.
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Agree except I’m not sure anyone can prove the issues occurred before the plug failure.

Seems very suspect.
I will say that if there was an AOS or enrichment/cylinder washdown issue, these will cause high oil consumption, so I cannot discount that with the age of the vehicle and also the knowledge that it had a bad AOS and that the engine has not been smoke tested, that there isn't some other issue at play here, especially with the OP's comment about the car running rich. Fix these issues and the oil consumption issue will likely resolve itself.

Might be useful to pull a current manometer reading and also look at fuel trim values after the engine has been smoke tested to ensure there are no vacuum leaks and the AOS is functioning properly.

Quick Reply: 997 cylinder damage from failed spark plugs