Sponsored by:

Wrong Spark plugs .1

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 04:44 PM
tbobby910
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wrong Spark plugs .1

How screwed am I? I just got done replacing the AOS, water pump, and thermostat in my .1. Replaced the plugs too (2nd time doing this) and somehow purchased the wrong plugs for later 997 models that are 3-4 threads longer. Got a misfire in cyl 6 and pulled that plug to switch it with another when I realized the plug was wrong. The central electrode was broken off and the ceramic around this was broken and missing. The side electrodes did not look damaged. I pulled all the plugs and the 3 on the pax side of the engine (4-6) were all in this shape and the drivers side were fine. I have purchased the correct plugs and planned to run a borescope in. Is this a case of "if it runs after start up its fine"? Or am I sitting on an imminent grenade? What specific damage to look for? It has nickel sleeves and stock pistons.
Old 01-19-2024, 05:51 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

I would do my best to get any remnants via vac or suction into those cylinders to remove any debris that may still be in there but it only takes a few piston revolutions to most likely munch such debris into dust or be sucked out "hopefully" without any real damage to the top of the pistons and cylinder walls. Do the best you can as mentioned scope the cylinders and have a close look at the top of the pistons. They could possibly have a small nick in them from the impact and hopefully no other damage and if so start it up and keep a close ear for any peculiar sounds or codes and if so turn the engine off immediately and if not you escaped and should be ok if the impact was minimal which it sounds like it was and always double and triple check your part numbers and compare the parts new vs old before installing. Wouldn't be the first time I have received wrong parts in the right box !
Old 01-19-2024, 07:29 PM
tbobby910
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks. I have my vac ready. That was kind of my plan. It’s funny cause I do usually compare old and new parts but was complacent cause I’ve done plugs on it before and “it’s just plugs”.
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 08:05 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by tbobby910
Thanks. I have my vac ready. That was kind of my plan. It’s funny cause I do usually compare old and new parts but was complacent cause I’ve done plugs on it before and “it’s just plugs”.
In hear you been there done that in my youth now I double / triple check everything before it goes in .. Hate doing things twice !!
Old 01-20-2024, 07:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,603 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Ugh. Good luck and post the boroscope photos for us. Hope things are ok.

Quick Reply: Wrong Spark plugs .1