Will Porsche Dealerships give out service records

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 12:23 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Fanatic997
Link or reference to this law please?
I remember battling a Los Angeles Mercedes Dealer for service records on a car I was buying for my wife. Was like pulling teeth.
No way they would give them up and I was unable to get ahold of the previous owners.
.....I've also run into the same issue with Porsche Indy shops. It's all about privacy laws and Identity Theft

What is the FTC safeguard rule for auto dealers?
The Safeguards Rule is an integral part of the FTC's efforts to protect the security, confidentiality, and integrity of customer-sensitive information from cyberattacks, identity theft, and other forms of fraud.

Related Thread:
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...vacy-laws.html

Last edited by groovzilla; 06-16-2024 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:16 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

I found while looking at specific cars, a dealer won't give you service records, unless the SA is a complete tool they will at least give you a rundown of service provided and dates if they aren't too busy. Most were very good about it. Some were complete tools and wouldn't give anything. Luck of the draw I think.
Old 06-17-2024, 04:12 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Bought my 2008 C2S Cab in 2012. I actually got the service record (singular) from the local Porsche dealer unmasked (!), but only got a verbal rundown from the selling third-party dealer. It was detailed enough, so I wrote it out by hand and added it to my file. What was really interesting is that I was able to get the original owner's name and physical address from the warranty and service record booklet supplied with the car, and with a little sleuthing on the internet, I obtained his email address. I explained who I was and that I now owned his old car, listed the service record lines items and dates of service I collected, and asked him if he knew of anything else. He told me my research was correct and that there was nothing else. So, I have a 4" binder of *complete* service records on my car including those items I purchased and added myself, what tires were on it and for how long, etc., etc., etc.
Old 06-17-2024, 07:12 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts

Just to add a data point, when I asked HOEHN in San Diego even to just read me what had been done to the car with no other info, they were rude about it. The car's 2 previous owners both got the car from there (new + CPO) and both owners serviced it there but Hoehn wouldn't give me any more information than what I could get from CarFax. I tried 2 or 3 different ways of contacting them all with the same kind of rude replies. I was thinking about going in but the discrepancies I was trying to clear were more for duplicate services rather than lack of services, so I just decided to drop it.
Old 06-18-2024, 12:33 PM
PJP13
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 64 Posts

I was able to get full print outs on my last two P car purchases from dealerships they were serviced at... Both times they wanted to see the registration in my name and they also blacked out the name address of the previous owner....
Old 06-23-2024, 10:08 PM
enzomn71
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping to get mine from the dealer. Any tips to getting it?
Old 06-25-2024, 09:42 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts

Based on my experience, I would physically go in and just be super polite. Email and calling was a waste of time but I also didn't want to drive 3 hours to get denied and then drive 3 hours back...so, it matters on if the car was local to you or not.

Quick Reply: Will Porsche Dealerships give out service records