PDK Problem - P17D3, P17D9, P176D

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 08:52 PM
gkiener
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK Problem - P17D3, P17D9, P176D

Hi!

I’ve had a 2012 997.2 for a few months now, and have occasionally had pdk go into “emergency transmission run” mode, and finally captured codes today.

typically these go away on restart, but has happened frequently enough I thought I should look into it.

any advice or suggestions on what might be the issue would be more than appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by gkiener; 05-28-2024 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 09:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,794 Likes on 4,326 Posts

@PV997 is our resident PDK expert.

Usually the codes get more frequent until the car won't let you drive it. PDK issues aren't usually mechanical and are distance or temp sensors.
Old 05-29-2024, 10:19 PM
weberlukas74
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I guess that there could be a problem with the transmission control module or a sensor. Also, check the PDK system's wiring for loose connections, which might cause these error codes. You could try resetting the transmission control module to clear any stored errors and recalibrate the system. And check the transmission fluid level and condition
Old 05-29-2024, 10:58 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 991 Posts

2009 C2S 200K

Where are you located? We can recommend a shop or two that will repair PDKs. You may try your dealer first... if they say you must replace the whole transmission, again we can give you some repair shops.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 05-30-2024, 12:48 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,539 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by gkiener
Hi!

I’ve had a 2012 997.2 for a few months now, and have occasionally had pdk go into “emergency transmission run” mode, and finally captured codes today.

typically these go away on restart, but has happened frequently enough I thought I should look into it.

any advice or suggestions on what might be the issue would be more than appreciated. Thanks!
These are all hydraulic faults that are typically associated with the valve body, probably a solenoid or a valve internal to the VB sticking, Check out the PDK repair thread and scroll down to the section on the valve body for more info.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...nsmission.html

The good news is the VB can be repaired/replaced without dropping the PDK by removing the bottom pan. It's also one of the few PDK issues the dealers will repair though you'll pay through the nose. You can DIY replace all the solenoids with Chinese remanufactured versions for ~$250. At the other extreme the dealer will replace the whole VB for around $4-5k.

I'd start with a DIY solenoid replacement as it's easy and pretty cheap, not a guarantee it will fix it but very likely based on those three faults. You will need to refill the transmission which usually takes a PIWIS or a good scan tool with Porsche functions. There's also a no PIWIS refill procedure linked at the bottom of the same PDK post.

I'm not very active on Rennlist anymore but happened to see this. The PDK repair thread comments are quite active and if you have follow up questions you'll likely get a response from some very knowledgeable folks if you post it in that thread. Many people have DIY'd the solenoids.

Last edited by PV997; 05-30-2024 at 12:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vg247 (06-02-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 02:50 AM
gkiener
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses all.

@Bruce In Philly -- Located in San Jose. Talking with an indy shop but recommendations always more than welcome -- relatively new to the area.

@PV997 -- Thanks for the nitty gritty details. Will be digging in. Tempted to grab a PIWIS/solenoids and give it a shot myself before taking further steps.

Appreciate all the help!
Old 05-30-2024, 08:24 AM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi!

There are several versions of each of these codes. You want to get the full description of each code to properly start identifying the issue.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:21 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

Most probably valves/solenoids/actuators problem. BR Racing is a PDK repair shop in San Jose area we work with. I would suggest giving them a call
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 05-30-2024 at 01:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wjk_glynn (05-30-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 10:21 AM
J.Correa
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PDK Problem

Hi!

Hi. Some time ago, after 6 weeks stoped with battery disconnected I had to go from Luxembourg to Brussels (+-200 klms). Lots of traffic and road works. Trip took 4,5 stop and go hours with long stops and very few free running parts. At one moment I decided to stop the engine at each stop that could be really very long ones.
At the end of trip, suddenly, I got, first the yellow engine light and after the white message saying PDK urgency…The box was then blocked in the gear it was being used. I stopped the engine and restarted it and the problem wasn’t there anymore, until the yellow engine light appeared again. Once more, box blocked.
I had thi 3 times before parking the car until next day, more than 12 hours.
Next morning, started the engine, a cloud of grey smoke and car was running perfectly, without any problem !
Next day again I returned to Luxembourg at night. Pushed the car seriously, used all 3 modes of the PDK and all was normal. After a month now, no more alarms, engine running smooth and PDK perfect.
Dealer didn’t knew very well what could be the problem, but perhaps an occasional misfire
because the long start and stop, giving a wrong message to the box.
What do you think ? Someone with similar experience ?

Old 08-31-2024, 01:10 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 821 Posts

In several cases the "fix" to PDK errors has been to replace the plugs and coils. Errant sparking can cause CANBus errors that translate into PDK messages. The sparking can also cause sensor reading errors. So a bad or fouled plug could be at fault. The transmission is directly electrically coupled to the motor block.

The smoke was likely the flat six problem of oil leaking past the rings as the motor cooled. This is especially a problem if you were parked on a side to side slope.

The hard run may have cleaned the plug(s) ... Italian tune up.
Old 08-31-2024, 02:29 PM
J.Correa
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you very much !

Yes, it was the case. Cas was parked on a right hard slope. Never did that before or after. Exausts clean.
I hope that all that mess was caused by the terrific trip, 4,5 hours stop and go, several engine starts and, perhaps a tired battery.

Regards

Quick Reply: PDK Problem - P17D3, P17D9, P176D