Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 02:18 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 787 Posts

Also ... Check for debris in front of, and in between, your radiators.
The following users liked this post:
Hootsama (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 03:29 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Hootsama
Curious how you discovered this and/or if you observed any different behavior such as the operating oil temps being higher. I have become suspicious that my car is generally operating at higher oil temps than previously so I am assembling a plan to ensure healthy cooling.

Hootsama, in my case (2011 C2S 997.2 33K miles), the Oil temps were running normally between 205-225 even during our hot summer here in Las Vegas. Water temp gauge is a dummy gauge that only sits at 175 to show "everything's ok". Last week I was in stop and go traffic on the freeway where the ambient temp was 110 degrees, all the sudden the dashboard water gauge shot directly to 250 with the red light on, and a warning message on the dash to "check coolant level" or something like that. I pulled over and realized that the old/original expansion tank relief valve had failed, resulting in a loss of nearly a gallon of coolant that escaped down the drain tube and was blown back and even through the open exhaust tips which caused a panic (luckily no air got into the motor or system, so the motor was fine and the oil temperature only peeked at 250 - lower than most guys on the track under normal use). When I pulled over, I remained idling to keep coolant circulating and had the cabin heat on to help the engine cooling. I got out and noticed that the radiator fans were not on, so I turned the AC back on (which will tell the system to turn on the radiator fans), but the fans stayed off. Once the oil temp cooled to 200, I shut it down, and let it cool further. Later upon restart, the radiator fans (front, not the one over the engine cover) came back on but only at low speed, and allowed me to get home. I then replaced the expansion tank since that needed to be replaced due to a failed relieve valve) . Then monitored for a week of normal driving. During that week I noticed that the fans were not always running, or not always running at what I thought should have been high enough speeds. I broke out the iCarSoft PorII and noticed a "Status of radiator fan control = Not OK" message in the diagnostics menu under the section for front end electrical, and monitored actual engine coolant temps between 180-210 despite the 175 reading on the dash gauge. I continued to monitor for a few days and decided to replace the radiator fan control module (997-618-436-04) which is in front of the passenger front tire, behind the lower wheel well cover, between the radiator fan and the frunk wall. After that, both front fans are running normally with varied fan speeds as expected under various conditions, and the diagnostic message now reads "Status of Radiator Fan Control = OK", and true diagnostic water/engine temps between 180-210, and the dash water guage happily sitting at 175 as normal. Fixed.
TheMurse (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 03:31 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate2046
Does the factory hire Magnus Ver Magnusson to install the O2 sensors in the crossover pipes? I even bought the correct offset socket removal tool this time to make my life easier. Still a PITA. Worth it to get more ‘growlier’ though!

which cats are those? I tried doing this the other day but couldn’t fit my AWE 200 cell in with my PSE. Thinking maybe I need to loosen my muffler a bit. I gave up for the day and put everything back in.
Old 08-30-2024, 03:34 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by anewman
Hootsama, in my case (2011 C2S 997.2 33K miles), the Oil temps were running normally between 205-225 even during our hot summer here in Las Vegas. Water temp gauge is a dummy gauge that only sits at 175 to show "everything's ok". Last week I was in stop and go traffic on the freeway where the ambient temp was 110 degrees, all the sudden the dashboard water gauge shot directly to 250 with the red light on, and a warning message on the dash to "check coolant level" or something like that. I pulled over and realized that the old/original expansion tank relief valve had failed, resulting in a loss of nearly a gallon of coolant that escaped down the drain tube and was blown back and even through the open exhaust tips which caused a panic (luckily no air got into the motor or system, so the motor was fine and the oil temperature only peeked at 250 - lower than most guys on the track under normal use). When I pulled over, I remained idling to keep coolant circulating and had the cabin heat on to help the engine cooling. I got out and noticed that the radiator fans were not on, so I turned the AC back on (which will tell the system to turn on the radiator fans), but the fans stayed off. Once the oil temp cooled to 200, I shut it down, and let it cool further. Later upon restart, the radiator fans (front, not the one over the engine cover) came back on but only at low speed, and allowed me to get home. I then replaced the expansion tank since that needed to be replaced due to a failed relieve valve) . Then monitored for a week of normal driving. During that week I noticed that the fans were not always running, or not always running at what I thought should have been high enough speeds. I broke out the iCarSoft PorII and noticed a "Status of radiator fan control = Not OK" message in the diagnostics menu under the section for front end electrical, and monitored actual engine coolant temps between 180-210 despite the 175 reading on the dash gauge. I continued to monitor for a few days and decided to replace the radiator fan control module (997-618-436-04) which is in front of the passenger front tire, behind the lower wheel well cover, between the radiator fan and the frunk wall. After that, both front fans are running normally with varied fan speeds as expected under various conditions, and the diagnostic message now reads "Status of Radiator Fan Control = OK", and true diagnostic water/engine temps between 180-210, and the dash water guage happily sitting at 175 as normal. Fixed.
Interesting. And I appreciate the detail, thank you. Glad you've got it sorted and things are running as normal.
anewman (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 04:32 PM
Nate2046
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylverlee
which cats are those? I tried doing this the other day but couldn’t fit my AWE 200 cell in with my PSE. Thinking maybe I need to loosen my muffler a bit. I gave up for the day and put everything back in.
They are DesignTek, which I believe are the same as the TopGear stuff sold out of the UK. I don’t have PSE but fitting them up was quite easy. It was trickier getting the OEMs out, if anything, due to their bulk in that small space.

https://www.design911shop.com/p/exha...s-porsche-997/
Old 08-30-2024, 05:18 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 237 Posts

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts re: loudness and tone with that setup as upgrading the cats is a 'someday' project to compliment my PSE.
Old 08-30-2024, 07:26 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nate2046
They are DesignTek, which I believe are the same as the TopGear stuff sold out of the UK. I don’t have PSE but fitting them up was quite easy. It was trickier getting the OEMs out, if anything, due to their bulk in that small space.

https://www.design911shop.com/p/exha...s-porsche-997/
did you have to remove the bumper or adjust the mufflers at all?
Old 08-30-2024, 07:26 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hootsama
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts re: loudness and tone with that setup as upgrading the cats is a 'someday' project to compliment my PSE.
im curious as well. pse sounds good from the outside but its too quiet from the inside
Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM
BRN9121
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by VAG Lover
I know this is an old post, but why swap out the Xenons for the Morimoto?
Sorry for the late response, the difference is night and day... literally.
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM
Knein97
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I previously had these, they are easy to install with no rear bumper removal required.
Sylverlee (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
Knein97
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

im curious as well. pse sounds good from the outside but its too quiet from the inside
I haven’t done PSE and crossover high flow cats. However this has been my experience with other setups. My PSE combined with 200 cell Xpipe and Top Gear headers sounded incredible…but xpipes cause drivability issues with 02 sensor faults and low RPM hesitation .So I tried switching to the 200 cell crossover style pipes, combined with my headers and PSE, and it sounded HORRIBLE. Now with just PSE and headers it sounds pretty good, but a little drone at low RPM so not great from inside the car.

Last edited by Knein97; Yesterday at 03:03 PM.
Sylverlee (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Knein97
I haven’t done PSE and crossover high flow cats. However this has been my experience with other setups. My PSE combined with 200 cell Xpipe and Top Gear headers sounded incredible…but xpipes cause drivability issues with 02 sensor faults and low RPM hesitation .So I tried switching to the 200 cell crossover style pipes, combined with my headers and PSE, and it sounded HORRIBLE. Now with just PSE and headers it sounds pretty good, but a little drone at low RPM so not great from inside the car.
interesting. Which headers did you use? I heard it doesn’t do as much as the 200cell cats
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM
Nate2046
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 102 Posts

As ​​​@Knein97 said, no need to remove the bumper and I didn’t adjust the mufflers either. The OEM cats had to come out together as they’re so much bulkier than the 200 cells. I was able to get those into place individually with the muffler side loosely into the clamp and the header side resting on the flange. Then loosely did up the nuts and bolts on header side and then the clamps on muffler side. One of the smoother installs I’ve done, not sure where you got hung up, but I don’t have PSE either, so maybe that’s the difference?
Sylverlee (Today)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?