Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Carrier ball joint insert ? Is this part available ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 02:48 AM
prestonj67
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Carrier ball joint insert ? Is this part available ?

One of the "S" knuckles I bought of ebay is missing some kind of pressed in serrated insert for the LBJ (the tie rod has a similar insert but its not missing). I can see no practical way to remove one from my old knuckles.

I seriously doubt this part is available individually, its not called out in parts diagrams.

Can anyone say different or ever seen someone remove one ? Nothing's impossible but there's not lip to punch it out, you'd have to grab it from underneath. I suppose I could try to cut open the old knuckle until it fell out but that doesn't sound like a good idea.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:48 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

2009 C2S 197K

Back when I had a bad bushing, absolutely didn't exist; exchanged emails with a maker in the UK... etc etc.... I purchased new carriers. There was a recent post where someone found them: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-bushing.html

From the 991 forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1273...r-bushing.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-ideas-5.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Old 04-19-2024, 12:12 PM
prestonj67
Track Day

Thanks I appreciate the input. I read those threads and they are concerned with the rear shock bushing. This is actually some kind of serrated insert in the LBJ. After doing my own research I think I'm out of luck and will need to source a new knuckle. Even if I could get one out of my old knuckles, its such a critical part I wouldn't feel comfortable installing a used bushing that was removed from an old knuckle and pressing it into another used knuckle. This is a mission critical part obviously.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:00 AM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Can you please share a photo showing where the missing part would be?

Last edited by campbesl; 04-20-2024 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:53 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 177 Posts

Any chance it’s a leftover insert from a coil over?
Old 04-21-2024, 08:29 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 486 Likes on 231 Posts

It’s the steel insert with a tapered centre for the balljoint (either on the outer end of coffin arm, or the outer end of the steering rack tie rod balljoint) and the outside is knurled to fit into and grip the aluminium suspension upright/hub carrier.

Unfortunately it’s not available separately (it’s supposed to be retained in the aluminium of the upright by the external knurling, but when the balljoints get stuck in the steel retainer, they get hammered out and the insert comes loose.

You can see the two knurled/serrated inserts in these images :

I’d buy a cheap used upright and remove the steel insert (it only comes out one way, as it has a shoulder) and Loctite it into your existing upright.

Old 04-24-2024, 09:30 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by prestonj67
Thanks I appreciate the input. I read those threads and they are concerned with the rear shock bushing. This is actually some kind of serrated insert in the LBJ. After doing my own research I think I'm out of luck and will need to source a new knuckle. Even if I could get one out of my old knuckles, its such a critical part I wouldn't feel comfortable installing a used bushing that was removed from an old knuckle and pressing it into another used knuckle. This is a mission critical part obviously.
You can hammer the insert out of the old knuckle and re-use it. I did it a few weeks ago by accident. I was installing new adjustable toe arms and when removing the old ball joint the entire insert came off with it. I've talked to multiple shops and they've all said it's okay to re-use, the serrated edges make it fit back in properly without worry.

The only thing to figure out is if you can put some type of pin from the top down that you can hammer through the center. I wouldn't use something like a flat head to get it out.

​​​​​
Old 04-25-2024, 01:07 PM
prestonj67
Track Day

Well that's weird I could have sworn I posted an update to this a couple of days ago. I didn't see any way of getting something in there to hammer the insert out its concentrically flush with the aluminum and there really wasn't even a gap to try and get in at all. So I did it the hard way and used a series of grinding tools to cut it out of my old knuckle. I was careful not to nick it in any way, and was able to press it into the new knuckle with a bearing press. I put the insert in the freezer first and it was still a pretty tight fit, so I think it should be good. Tightening down the ball joint clamps this piece in there anyway, so only real concern would be if it was compromised and cracked or it could potentially come out with the ball joint next time they are separated, but I'm pretty confident its in there solid.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 71 Posts

Very well done 👍

Quick Reply: Wheel Carrier ball joint insert ? Is this part available ?