997.2 rear shock lower bushing

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 05:57 PM
jcfx11
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 rear shock lower bushing

Hi,

Does anyone replace the lower shock mount bushing, the one in the hub, when changing the rear shocks. I can’t see a part number and wonder if it can be replaced or if it is part of the hub itself.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2024, 06:38 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

2009 C2S 196K miles

You can't replace it... you must replace the entire wheel carrier (AKA knuckle). I did this in 2019 at 140K miles. This is a really big job. Read about it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ed-advice.html

I contacted various bushing makers, the one in the UK has alternative bushings for every part of our car except that one insert. They told me it is a nightmare, they stopped making them, and I had to replace the carrier. So I just replaced the whole thing and did both sides. I also chose to replace the wheel bearings given the mileage on my car and this huge effort to do this work. I could do all the work myself except I had to take the carriers to a speed shop for them to press out/in something... I can't remember what it was... see my wrightup. Looking back on it, I should have just purchased a Harbor Freight press for $170 as the shop used just this model for this work.

BTW, why are you doing this and how did you find the problem? I used chassis ears to find mine.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03-01-2024 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:04 PM
jcfx11
AutoX

The car is a 2010 with 92k miles on it and I was thinking about completeness as other parts are getting replaced, I don’t think it is in need of replacement because I’m sure that a light creak is from the top mount, hence new shocks, mount's, etc.

Given your experience I think I’ll pass on replacing the hub, thanks for the input.

John
Old 03-02-2024, 12:58 PM
Fatsix
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 83 Posts

Elephant racing makes a replacement monoball and removal tool for the lower mount bushing. When it’s time to replace mine, I plan on going this route. It costs under $500 for a pair and the tool.

Monoballs 997 rear lower struts
Old 03-02-2024, 01:41 PM
jcfx11
AutoX

Originally Posted by Fatsix
Elephant racing makes a replacement monoball and removal tool for the lower mount bushing. When it’s time to replace mine, I plan on going this route. It costs under $500 for a pair and the tool.

Thanks, great find, I'll remember that should I need to replace them.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:08 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 84 Posts

I just did this a few weeks ago. My original bushings in the wheel carrier (at the bottom of the rear struts) were cracked and no longer providing much stability when under high load (e.g. exiting a turn with >50% throttle in 2nd gear). I had my shop swap out the original bushings for these Elephant Racing monoballs, as well as Tarett toe control arms with locking plates, and Tarett GT3 LCAs. Couldn't be happier with the result. Car feels 100% planted and the NVH impact is minor.

Let me know if you have questions.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:28 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Wow, thanx for this. If they had these then, I would have used them.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Quick Reply: 997.2 rear shock lower bushing