Sponsored by:

Clunk from rear over bumps - Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 10:26 AM
Birkinjay
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
The lowest one, not the one with the red arrow. But it is really irrelevant which one as both have press-in bushings and there are (or were) no press-in options. At least I think that other one has a press in but my memory ain't so good anymore. Only replacement of the whole carrier will stop the rattle/clunk where there is a press-in bush.

Again, this can be confirmed with chassis ears and you don't have to drive with them, but rock the car in place (most likely you can rock and rattle it).

Most indys should have a set of chassis ears, they are a pretty common tool. My friend at Ford who worked his way through engineering college as Jaguar dealership tech said chassis ears are really the only way to find crazy rattles and clunks.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Thanks Bruce!
The one you mentioned I already replaced it but the noise is still there. So chassis ears have to come in play.

thanks
Old 02-13-2022, 10:34 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 926 Posts

Interesting.. How did you replace it? And without taking the carrier off? They have to be pressed in with a hydraulic press, usually. I searched here and Europe and could not find any replacement bushings. What product did you use?

Peace
Old 02-13-2022, 12:26 PM
Birkinjay
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Interesting.. How did you replace it? And without taking the carrier off? They have to be pressed in with a hydraulic press, usually. I searched here and Europe and could not find any replacement bushings. What product did you use?

Peace
hmmm…to be honest I have no clue since the shop here did it. I’m in Bangkok. He said he took out the old multi layer bush and rebushed it to be a single layer one
Old 02-13-2022, 02:06 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,537 Likes on 926 Posts

The tech may have cranked it in there with a vice-like tool. But those bushings are rock hard. Interesting.... maybe he cut a custom ring from material he had on hand. If what he put in there was not rock hard, the problem may return sooner than a stock bush.

Keep us informed.

Peace

Quick Reply: Clunk from rear over bumps - Ideas?