Rennlist Member

Received 4,503 Likes on 2,744 Posts

Correct Answer: Not enough

Old 04-03-2024, 05:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
There is a difference between configuration mix from the factory vs used-market valuations. We're discussing two different things and the logic is not contemporaneous or mutually exclusive. Decouple the notion that production numbers from the factory equals used-market desirability/value. The data are clear and show that there is a premium asked/paid for used manual 911s over PDK, all things being equal. Although PDK/automated transmissions are the prevailing transmission (have been for over 10 years) and clearly chosen by manufactures and consumers alike, the premium and desirability of manual 911s is real.
And as I've kept repeating, there seems to be two separate markets for Porsche now. One which is dominated by PDK buyers and then a small segment of manual buyers. So it should come as no surprise that the manuals get a premium given the small number of manuals having been built since 2009. The small number of "must be manual" buyers are basically getting into price wars over the few cars available while the PDK buyers could care less. They have no interest in a manual any longer and there are plenty of PDK cars available compared to manuals so no price wars or inflated prices needed or created.

Another thing I've wondered about. With the manuals becoming so hard to find in the used market (not exactly news) and priced higher than PDK's, why haven't the die hard manual buyers ordered new cars from the dealerships to the exact specs they wanted instead of fighting over the few cars that comes on the used market? A manual from the factory has always been cheaper than a PDK which carried a $4,500 premium last I checked.

In other words, in what seems like a lot of cases they could have bought a brand new manual to their exact specs for less than a low mile used one. Maybe not in precise dollar amount depending on miles and condition but based on prices for manuals posted here it sure seems like the gap between MSRP and used is closing if it hasn't already.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:29 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 197 Posts

So your argument is now that manual 997.2 buyers should go back in time 14 years and order a new car to their desired specs? And that the desirability of manuals on the used market isn’t real because you personally don’t think the price premium makes sense?

Aside from these bizarre arguments, if it was actually true that the PDK was really more desirable, the greater numbers on the used market wouldn’t matter since there would be a proportionally similar or greater ratio of buyers to sellers. Again, the obvious point is that the used market for a car that has been out of production for more than a decade is different than the market for the same car when it was new.

Originally Posted by sandwedge
And as I've kept repeating, there seems to be two separate markets for Porsche now. One which is dominated by PDK buyers and then a small segment of manual buyers. So it should come as no surprise that the manuals get a premium given the small number of manuals having been built since 2009. The small number of "must be manual" buyers are basically getting into price wars over the few cars available while the PDK buyers could care less. They have no interest in a manual any longer and there are plenty of PDK cars available compared to manuals so no price wars or inflated prices needed or created.

Another thing I've wondered about. With the manuals becoming so hard to find in the used market (not exactly news) and priced higher than PDK's, why haven't the die hard manual buyers ordered new cars from the dealerships to the exact specs they wanted instead of fighting over the few cars that comes on the used market? A manual from the factory has always been cheaper than a PDK which carried a $4,500 premium last I checked.

In other words, in what seems like a lot of cases they could have bought a brand new manual to their exact specs for less than a low mile used one. Maybe not in precise dollar amount depending on miles and condition but based on prices for manuals posted here it sure seems like the gap between MSRP and used is closing if it hasn't already.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:52 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 533 Posts

Over 40% is not a small percentage.
The following users liked this post:
Busta Rib (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 08:28 AM
cvalue13
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
And as I've kept repeating, there seems to be two separate markets for Porsche now. One which is dominated by PDK buyers and then a small segment of manual buyers. So it should come as no surprise that the manuals get a premium given the small number of manuals having been built since 2009. The small number of "must be manual" buyers are basically getting into price wars over the few cars available while the PDK buyers could care less...
in addition to what blueline / prairie point out in the two above posts, indicating your thinking seems to have a couple of wrong turns

here’s another confounding issue:

because manuals are priced higher than PDK and fewer are available in the market, there’s no reason to think a given buyer has purchased a manual only because they they couldn’t find a cheaper and available PDK

but the inverse should be true: a given buyer that wants a manual can end up settling on a PDK for either financial or available config reasons

which is to say, it’s not clear that you can casually infer that every person buying a PDK 997 does so because they prefer a PDK unit, all else equal

but it’s pretty clear, by market conditions, that people buying manual 997s prefer it
Old 04-03-2024, 09:26 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Probably beating a dead horse here, but I also think that the 6MT manual in the 997 is a much nicer transmission than the 7MT in the 991.1 and 991.2. The shift action / throw length never felt quite right, and seven gears was always one too many. I haven't driven a 992 manual, so can't comment on that. By contrast, the PDK has clearly improved with each generation.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:49 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 390 Posts

There is a big reason why the 991/992 manuals feel different than a 997 manual. Besides the extra 7th gear, the 991/992 stick shift is fundamentally different than the 997 stick shift, which is one of the last of the traditional transmissions with a direct mechanical linkage from shift lever to transmission to enable shift changes (991/992 GT 6-spd manuals are still direct linkage, which is one of the reasons why they feel so good). The 991/992 7-spd stick shift is actually "shift-by-wire" with a software abstraction layer controlling the shifts, similar to PDK trannys. Porsche basically adapted the PDK transmission and added a stick shift and clutch pedal, which is why it has 7 gears and you can flat-foot (shift without using the clutch) shifts. You can read about it here: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ual-enjoyment/

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
Probably beating a dead horse here, but I also think that the 6MT manual in the 997 is a much nicer transmission than the 7MT in the 991.1 and 991.2. The shift action / throw length never felt quite right, and seven gears was always one too many. I haven't driven a 992 manual, so can't comment on that. By contrast, the PDK has clearly improved with each generation.

Last edited by Busta Rib; 04-03-2024 at 12:59 PM.
bluelines1974 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 01:11 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
There is a big reason why the 991/992 manuals feel different than a 997 manual. Besides the extra 7th gear, the 991/992 stick shift is fundamentally different than the 997 stick shift, which is one of the last of the traditional transmissions with a direct mechanical linkage from shift lever to transmission to enable shift changes (991/992 GT 6-spd manuals are still direct linkage, which is one of the reasons why they feel so good). The 991/992 7-spd stick shift is actually "shift-by-wire" with a software abstraction layer controlling the shifts, similar to PDK trannys. Porsche basically adapted the PDK transmission and added a stick shift and clutch pedal, which is why it has 7 gears and you can flat-foot (shift without using the clutch) shifts. You can read about it here: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ual-enjoyment/
Interesting, I feel like I was vaguely aware of some of this, but good to have it clarified. Another reason why the 997.2 is "peak 911" in my mind at least.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:28 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 418 Posts

When I was searching for my 997.2 Manual 4 years ago there was only 3-4 manual C2/C2S coupes at any given time on the wider market in the entire US.

9 times out of 10 when I got an alert that a new manual had popped up on Cargurus, Autotrader and Cars.com, it was a PDK car.

If I hade to guess the number is somewhere between 10-15% are Manual of all of the C2/C2S cars from my experience.
Carrera2RS (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 01:30 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
When I was searching for my 997.2 Manual 4 years ago there was only 3-4 manual C2/C2S coupes at any given time on the wider market in the entire US.

9 times out of 10 when I got an alert that a new manual had popped up on Cargurus, Autotrader and Cars.com, it was a PDK car.

If I hade to guess the number is somewhere between 10-15% are Manual of all of the C2/C2S cars from my experience.
It's already been answered above ^^^^.

It's >40%.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:02 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg

It's >40%.
Didn’t realize that had been settled as I tuned out when it was being discussed that only the GTS cars were known.

That’s a crazy high number from what I was experiencing on the market back in 2020, so I guess manual owners are more satisfied / holding on to them.

Maybe PDK buyers as a whole get them for commuting and over time they find a better car for that mission?

While manual cars are occasional cars that sit in garages more or are traded less, who knows.

There are some bonkers pricing on the 997.2 manuals on the market right now on national sites.

Ironically the only one that has a decent price is from Porsche San Fran on a cream color car.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:28 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

It has not been settled. Unless someone does the exercise of querying all the VIN data, or Porsche releases an official breakdown, we don't know.

It does not seem likely that the GTS numbers would be the same as the non-GTS cars.

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
Didn’t realize that had been settled as I tuned out when it was being discussed that only the GTS cars were known.

That’s a crazy high number from what I was experiencing on the market back in 2020, so I guess manual owners are more satisfied / holding on to them.

Maybe PDK buyers as a whole get them for commuting and over time they find a better car for that mission?

While manual cars are occasional cars that sit in garages more or are traded less, who knows.

There are some bonkers pricing on the 997.2 manuals on the market right now on national sites.

Ironically the only one that has a decent price is from Porsche San Fran on a cream color car.
soundbehindyou (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 03:25 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,503 Likes on 2,744 Posts

Lets all be happy the 997 Manual Transmission is nothing like the early 911 915 Transmission which was sloppy and 100%of them had Syncro failures and needed replacing.
997 Manual Transmission a wonderful advancement.

Last edited by groovzilla; 04-03-2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:49 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

If you are a PCA member....the next time the magazine comes out....look at the PDK vs Manual Trans 997's for sale....(granted not all for sale are in the magazine each month, but the number of manuals trends closer to 20%
Old 04-03-2024, 06:08 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,138 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg

It's >40%.
What is the source of this information?

Quick Reply: What percentage of 997.2s are manuals?