Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency frunk release (I know, again), but different…

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Stupid and overly complicated design imo. I've had cars that cost a fraction of a 997 that had a simple mechanical pull inside the car that opened the compartment where the battery was located. No battery power needed. Related horror story on my car some years ago. The local dealership did work on my car that required some kind of reprogramming of the electronics including the ignition key. The car then went to a body shop for some work and when finished was then left in the shop's parking lot for me to pick up after hours. They asked if I had a second key which I had so they locked the doors, threw the key in the frunk with the doors locked.

I got there to pick up my car but my spare key wouldn't open either the doors or the frunk due to the electronics update which didn't include my spare key which was at my house Of course, nobody told me that my spare key would be worthless after the electronics update so I stood there at night dead in the water. With the centerlock wheels, the dealership had to send two people equipped with a jack and all else required to remove and re-install the left front center lock wheel to get access to the frunk and retrieve the reprogrammed ignition key. Next day I had to go to the dealership to get the reprogrammed key to get into my car and to have my spare key reprogrammed.

I still don't understand that nobody thought of the fact that they locked the only functional ignition key in the frunk but instead asking me if I had a second key. Seems like someone should have recognized that my second key was now out of commission. But no.
Why didn't you just use the 2nd key in the mechanical door lock slot to get the door open then use the sill switch to open the trunk?
Old 03-27-2024, 04:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Why didn't you just use the 2nd key in the mechanical door lock slot to get the door open then use the sill switch to open the trunk?
Of course I tried that but for some reason I still don't understand, the re-programing rendered my spare key useless even mechanically. I asked the service advisor about that and he just scratched his head and said "I guess when they re-program the system the way they did it obviously affects every aspect of every locking mechanism". How re-programing the electronics can possibly affect the mechanical door mechanism I'll never know. Unless my spare key was simply defective or the wrong key belonging to another car. I had never used it. Just sat around in my home office since I bought the car years earlier.

The service advisor asked me to bring the spare key in to be re-programed like the other key and then it worked. He couldn't explain it, nor can I. As I said, all I can think is that the spare key was not the right key to begin with. I bought the car from a private seller but the PPI and delivery was arranged through a Porsche dealership. Maybe they mistakenly included a spare key that belonged to another car. Either way, my dealership fixed it and maybe they gave me a new goodwill spare key to smooth over all the hassle.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Of course I tried that but for some reason I still don't understand, the re-programing rendered my spare key useless even mechanically. I asked the service advisor about that and he just scratched his head and said "I guess when they re-program the system the way they did it obviously affects every aspect of every locking mechanism". How re-programing the electronics can possibly affect the mechanical door mechanism I'll never know. Unless my spare key was simply defective or the wrong key belonging to another car. I had never used it. Just sat around in my home office since I bought the car years earlier.

The service advisor asked me to bring the spare key in to be re-programed like the other key and then it worked. He couldn't explain it, nor can I. As I said, all I can think is that the spare key was not the right key to begin with. I bought the car from a private seller but the PPI and delivery was arranged through a Porsche dealership. Maybe they mistakenly included a spare key that belonged to another car. Either way, my dealership fixed it and maybe they gave me a new goodwill spare key to smooth over all the hassle.
That's really interesting. Now that the keys have been reprogrammed, will they mechanically unlock the driver's side door using the keyhole. I have heard of 997s having the internal plastic mechanism for the physical lock breaking and making that not work, so curious if maybe that failure people say they have isn't that at all and unless it communicated with the chip, won't actually engage the mechanism to physically turn the lock guts.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

That's really interesting. Now that the keys have been reprogrammed, will they mechanically unlock the driver's side door using the keyhole. I have heard of 997s having the internal plastic mechanism for the physical lock breaking and making that not work, so curious if maybe that failure people say they have isn't that at all and unless it communicated with the chip, won't actually engage the mechanism to physically turn the lock guts.
Good question. I only tried the unlock button on the spare key after the re-programing which works now but didn't try the mechanical function. I will now though after you pointed this out. Would be weird if the electronic function would be restored but the mechanical function still won't work. I'll report back with the result when I get back home (traveling).
Old 03-30-2024, 04:40 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Pete....I tried both my keys and both work with the keyhole. Set off the alarm though which is the first time for that. I've always opened and locked this car electronically with the button on the key so I don't know what to make of it all. Never had the alarm go off opening and locking the car with the button on the key. I guess the question is what you alluded to: Is the mechanical locking mechanism somehow connected to the electronics?
Old 03-30-2024, 09:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Pete....I tried both my keys and both work with the keyhole. Set off the alarm though which is the first time for that. I've always opened and locked this car electronically with the button on the key so I don't know what to make of it all. Never had the alarm go off opening and locking the car with the button on the key. I guess the question is what you alluded to: Is the mechanical locking mechanism somehow connected to the electronics?

That is interesting. Maybe I'll try to unlock my wife's car with my key and see if the door lock free spins or actually unlocks it but sets off the alarm.
Old 03-31-2024, 03:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

That is interesting. Maybe I'll try to unlock my wife's car with my key and see if the door lock free spins or actually unlocks it but sets off the alarm.
But that's what's puzzling to me. Why does the alarm go off using the keyhole with both keys, unlocking and locking the car but has never gone off using the button on the key? So both keys unlock and lock the car both electronically and mechanically but doing it using the keyhole sets off the alarm. Strange.
Old 03-31-2024, 12:15 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

As I understand it, the key fob buttons tie into the alarm system. The mechanical lock action does not. Think about if you leave your car locked for over a week and it goes into sleep mode. The car no longer looks for the fob. You then need to use the mechanical key to open the door. But then you either have to put the key directly into the ignition and start the car or you need to use the fob or the alarm will activate.

The key blade should be coded to your car. There is a limit to combinations so it is possible two cars could have the same key. But if all keys could open all doors we wouldn't be very secure.
Old 03-31-2024, 01:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Lifting the door handle of a locked car that has gone to sleep awakens the security module so the buttons work again. The key is really only needed if the car was locked and the battery goes fully dead, like mine did a few weeks ago when one of my Battery Tenders went bad and the car sat for 6 weeks or so
The following users liked this post:
ADias (04-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Emergency frunk release (I know, again), but different…