997.1 ENGINE SWAP Thread: K24!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 10:16 AM
VGC
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 197K miles

Keep posting, I for one am very interested in what you are doing. No purist stuff from me. At some point, maybe all?, a car is just a car. I never cared for what low riders do, nor how young folks modify... such as slamming cars down to where they look sat upon... not for me, but I am fascinated with the passion and efforts put into these things.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
yeah, purist is a irrelevant. It’s all about having fun. And if you have a car with a ****ty engine, I’m not gonna put another one in lol no matter what the brand was.

keep everyone posted!
Old 04-06-2024, 11:19 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 874 Posts

How do you mount that thing? I assume you have to do some welding or do you use the existing mounting points? If you don't use the existing mounting points, how do you prevent the unit body from tearing? I have a million questions.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now in Atlanta)
Old 04-06-2024, 11:23 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by VGC
yeah, purist is a irrelevant. It’s all about having fun. And if you have a car with a ****ty engine, I’m not gonna put another one in lol no matter what the brand was.

keep everyone posted!
You seem to have an obvious passion for the build and that’s all that really matters. Certainly is an interesting swap. A small displacement motor + a big turbo just sounds like a horrible recipe for a driver’s cars but perhaps that is not what you are after. Only going by my own personal prejudices against those types of motors. Two of the most disappointing cars I have ever driven in my life were an STI and an Evo. Just horrendous throttle response and lag. I’m an NA engine nut, so any sports car or drivers cars with a turbo is counterintuitive to me as I want consistent and razor sharp throttle response, which a turbo, any turbo, just can’t provide. To me there is nothing like the response you get from a high revving NA motor when you keep the revs high. I did have an ‘07 Civic Si for a bit and enjoyed it. It was a terrific NA engine. Did you ever consider an all motor NA build with the Honda engine to keep it a driver’s car?
Old 04-06-2024, 11:49 AM
VGC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
How do you mount that thing? I assume you have to do some welding or do you use the existing mounting points? If you don't use the existing mounting points, how do you prevent the unit body from tearing? I have a million questions.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now in Atlanta)
haha. Believe me, I have 1 million questions too. But if you, Google Nick K24 911 Swap, there’s a website out there that has some of the general information. But we are doing things a little different and using an actual motor mound so they’ll be less NVH.

Old 04-06-2024, 11:51 AM
VGC
Advanced

Originally Posted by 850tgul
You seem to have an obvious passion for the build and that’s all that really matters. Certainly is an interesting swap. A small displacement motor + a big turbo just sounds like a horrible recipe for a driver’s cars but perhaps that is not what you are after. Only going by my own personal prejudices against those types of motors. Two of the most disappointing cars I have ever driven in my life were an STI and an Evo. Just horrendous throttle response and lag. I’m an NA engine nut, so any sports car or drivers cars with a turbo is counterintuitive to me as I want consistent and razor sharp throttle response, which a turbo, any turbo, just can’t provide. To me there is nothing like the response you get from a high revving NA motor when you keep the revs high. I did have an ‘07 Civic Si for a bit and enjoyed it. It was a terrific NA engine. Did you ever consider an all motor NA build with the Honda engine to keep it a driver’s car?
i’ve been building turbo charged Honda motors for a very long time. And there’s nothing that beats that engine! Just Google Nick K24 911 Swap. Everybody has driven that car is astounded by how much better it is.

and a Honda engine last forever lol no matter what kind of horse power you put on that thing.

so actually, this is the best recipe of fantastic chassis combined with a bulletproof high output motor.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:12 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,145 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by VGC
i’ve been building turbo charged Honda motors for a very long time. And there’s nothing that beats that engine! Just Google Nick K24 911 Swap. Everybody has driven that car is astounded by how much better it is.

and a Honda engine last forever lol no matter what kind of horse power you put on that thing.

so actually, this is the best recipe of fantastic chassis combined with a bulletproof high output motor.
Not my choice of powerplants but they are reliable, cheap and can handle a ton of HP. I will give you kudos for keeping one of these cars on the road.

Plenty of good motors that can handle additional power, Audis 2.5L I5 is one of my favorite motors and can handle a ton of additional power.

The 3.6L Flat 6 is pretty reliable as long as you use the correct oil and follow the correct warm-up procedures.

Good luck with the build!
The following 2 users liked this post by Graufuchs:
downtroddengoat (04-06-2024), VGC (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 12:56 PM
VGC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
Not my choice of powerplants but they are reliable, cheap and can handle a ton of HP. I will give you kudos for keeping one of these cars on the road.

Plenty of good motors that can handle additional power, Audis 2.5L I5 is one of my favorite motors and can handle a ton of additional power.

The 3.6L Flat 6 is pretty reliable as long as you use the correct oil and follow the correct warm-up procedures.

Good luck with the build!
haha. Yeah, well, I learned my lesson on unreliable German engines lol I’m not taking another chance! We’ll stick with proven quality and performance. 😉

Old 04-06-2024, 01:11 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,145 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by VGC
haha. Yeah, well, I learned my lesson on unreliable German engines lol I’m not taking another chance! We’ll stick with proven quality and performance. 😉
Totally get it, who knows how the car was treated prior to your ownership.

Enjoy it and make it your own.
Old 04-06-2024, 03:00 PM
G0ingnowherefast
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Going to be great to see how this progresses. Not speaking to anyone individually, but people seem to fundamentally not understand why people do K Swaps. I've seen the EJ Subaru engines suggested in this thread, and now the Audi 2.5L - we need to understand that a running 2.5L costs between 10-20 TIMES more than a clean K24Z3. The suggestion of an EJ should just be thrown out anyways given they are probably the only engine family more prone to exploding than the M97 (which is saying a lot). 400-450 whp is a sweet spot for these cars where stock fueling (tank side) tends to fall off, thus a motor that makes that reliably (unopened) is really the goal.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:44 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,477 Likes on 2,729 Posts

Originally Posted by G0ingnowherefast
Going to be great to see how this progresses. Not speaking to anyone individually, but people seem to fundamentally not understand why people do K Swaps. I've seen the EJ Subaru engines suggested in this thread, and now the Audi 2.5L - we need to understand that a running 2.5L costs between 10-20 TIMES more than a clean K24Z3. The suggestion of an EJ should just be thrown out anyways given they are probably the only engine family more prone to exploding than the M97 (which is saying a lot). 400-450 whp is a sweet spot for these cars where stock fueling (tank side) tends to fall off, thus a motor that makes that reliably (unopened) is really the goal.
It's not a matter of understanding.
Dropping a non-Porsche engine in our Porsche cars is just not something that a long time Porsche owner who appreciates the Porsche engine engineering/sound/torque/etc would ever consider - I think the mass who embrace Porsche engineering would agree. Nothing more nothing less.
I asked the question early on whether the OP had PPI & Bore Scope Inspection performed with photos of all cylinders? I'm guessing not since the engine grenaded a month after ownership.

It's great that the OP is a qualified mechanic and can do this K-Swap hmself. I'm following along but just would never consider this option and I think I speak for majority on this Forum who embrace Porsche engineering and keeping our cars original.

Last edited by groovzilla; 04-06-2024 at 08:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Graufuchs (04-07-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 06:07 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 341 Likes on 263 Posts

I like outside the box engineering and applications (when it works). How many on this thread are just going to step back and look away? Not me. If I had a roller, was his age, had his friends, and experience, I would try it too. He's having fun, and the power to weight ratio is headed in the right direction, as is the polar moment of inertia. The sound is not there, but neither is it there for a 2023 Cayman Base or Cayman S either (both 4 cylinder engines, laying on their side).

Last edited by Ericson38; 04-06-2024 at 06:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
downtroddengoat (04-06-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 10:51 AM
SpectreH
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like a fun project that is well thought out. I have always wished I could afford two of everything…one to keep bone stock, the other to modify like crazy.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:43 PM
VGC
Advanced

So just a little update on this… It’s going to be a long process, but, some new stuff:

The Porsche six speed transmission should be here today.

The injector clinic 650 cc injectors are here.

Borg Warner turbo is on order as well as the skunk to valve cover and intake manifold.

decided to do some D2 RS coilovers in the process.

going with a HalTech, Nexus R3 ECU. With all of the wiring custom and hopefully will get everything to work lol

we are coming up with a unique motor mount for the rear instead of just hard mounting it to the body. We are actually going to put it on an engine mount so there’s less NVH.

Looking forward to the custom exhaust and intake. We will be able to size things up and try a few different options for sound as I want some thing that sounds wicked.

Also, on a sidenote, I drove my buddies Carrera convertible with a six speed over the past few days because I took it from him to Detail for him and exchange for the work we are doing.

it’s got 24,000 miles on it, but that thing is fast especially with the stick shift. The tipTronic Carrera S that we didn’t even feel that quick

so I’m truly looking forward to 450+ horsepower…
Old 04-18-2024, 01:15 PM
B453D
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericson38
I like outside the box engineering and applications (when it works). How many on this thread are just going to step back and look away? Not me. If I had a roller, was his age, had his friends, and experience, I would try it too. He's having fun, and the power to weight ratio is headed in the right direction, as is the polar moment of inertia. The sound is not there, but neither is it there for a 2023 Cayman Base or Cayman S either (both 4 cylinder engines, laying on their side).
The K resides much higher than the M96, which may negate a bit of the weight reduction and associated benefits. I could be wrong.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:27 PM
VGC
Advanced

Originally Posted by B453D
The K resides much higher than the M96, which may negate a bit of the weight reduction and associated benefits. I could be wrong.
The complete K24 is probably around 60 pounds lighter? Your 474 pounds transmission and all versus a little over 500 pounds for the Porsche engine and transmission at least from what I’m seeing.

Not that’s going to make a big difference with all that extra horsepower but… I’d rather have it a little bit heavier, just for quality

have you heard a k in one of these cars? They sound fantastic!

Quick Reply: 997.1 ENGINE SWAP Thread: K24!