Sponsored by:

997.2 C2S Iron to PCCB Conversion Complete

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 08:15 PM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 97 Posts
Default 997.2 C2S Iron to PCCB Conversion Complete

In the relentless battle against brake dust, my iron to ceramic conversion is complete! Well, one detail… backing plates for the larger rotors are backordered, so I’ll do that later.

This car does not see the track, so yes it’s over the top just to avoid cleaning wheels as often, but I love car projects and seeing/feeling the differences by upgrading things.

of course there’s the added benefit of reduced rotating mass. I didn’t have anything more than my home-human scale, so approximate rotor weight change was 23lbs iron versus 12lbs stock

lastly, the visual difference in rotor and caliper size is gratifying

I’ve only done a quick drive so far, but the steering weight difference is noticeably lighter. And after I’m able to do a proper bedding procedure, I’ll report back on brake feel.

A couple before/after shots for comparison

Front driver, iron

Front driver, PCCB

Rear driver, iron

Rear driver, PCCB

Last edited by monochrom3; 03-20-2024 at 08:16 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by monochrom3:
997.2GTS (03-21-2024), BRN9121 (03-21-2024), golftime (03-20-2024), Graufuchs (03-20-2024), GT2RSobsessed (03-21-2024), preelude (03-21-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-21-2024, 02:02 AM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

Nice! What's the ballpark cost for PCCB rotors these days? And is that for an updated version or is Porsche still selling the same rotors as originally came on the 997?
Old 03-21-2024, 02:57 AM
BRN9121
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 92 Posts

Great work there, welcome to the dust free club!

Old 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Nice! What's the ballpark cost for PCCB rotors these days? And is that for an updated version or is Porsche still selling the same rotors as originally came on the 997?
Thanks! I got the calipers and rotors from an original 997 setup from a forum member. I bought new pads, hardware, seals, dust boots, and ss brake lines.

Originally Posted by BRN9121
Great work there, welcome to the dust free club!
thank you, nice car!!
Old 03-21-2024, 09:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,603 Likes on 4,198 Posts

You're going to love them. I originally avoided PCCBs when looking for my 997 and my wife's, but the car infound for her had them. After driving the car, I stole them and swapped my red iron brakes tonher car and the PCCBs to mine. Liked them so much, I retrofitted 410mm 958 gen ones to my 957 Cayenne as part of my wide ody build.

The weight difference makes the car do everything better and they're the only brakes that work better the hotter you get them.

No surface rust after a wash, no dust, and with steet use should last a couple hundred thousand miles. At 62k miles mine still looks brand new.

There are now places that can repair or refurbish them too, so not as daunting to own.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:18 AM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
You're going to love them. I originally avoided PCCBs when looking for my 997 and my wife's, but the car infound for her had them. After driving the car, I stole them and swapped my red iron brakes tonher car and the PCCBs to mine. Liked them so much, I retrofitted 410mm 958 gen ones to my 957 Cayenne as part of my wide ody build.

The weight difference makes the car do everything better and they're the only brakes that work better the hotter you get them.

No surface rust after a wash, no dust, and with steet use should last a couple hundred thousand miles. At 62k miles mine still looks brand new.

There are now places that can repair or refurbish them too, so not as daunting to own.
That's funny... stealing your wife's brakes Did she notice a difference?

Yes, i've driven a few cars with PCCB, which also pushed me to do this. I've been keeping an eye out for used sets for better part of a year, and finally found a complete set (less brake pads), so jumped on them.

I've got PCCBs for my track car, but it came swapped with iron (girodisc) at purchase (though i've got the ceramics in boxes). I'd love to track with them as i've driven a few PCCB cars on track, and they're fantastic., but replacement cost is so high as compared to the Girodisc rings.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:59 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,603 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Originally Posted by monochrom3
That's funny... stealing your wife's brakes Did she notice a difference?

Yes, i've driven a few cars with PCCB, which also pushed me to do this. I've been keeping an eye out for used sets for better part of a year, and finally found a complete set (less brake pads), so jumped on them.

I've got PCCBs for my track car, but it came swapped with iron (girodisc) at purchase (though i've got the ceramics in boxes). I'd love to track with them as i've driven a few PCCB cars on track, and they're fantastic., but replacement cost is so high as compared to the Girodisc rings.
Yes, she knew. She wanted to run my RUF wheels at one time that wouldn't clear those brakes and she wanted to paint her calipers white which I said she couldn't do with the PCCB ones. She also doesn't driver her car like I do mine so made sense on multiple levels, but she still gives me that look when it's car wash time
Old 03-21-2024, 08:37 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 488 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by monochrom3
In the relentless battle against brake dust, my iron to ceramic conversion is complete! Well, one detail… backing plates for the larger rotors are backordered, so I’ll do that later.

This car does not see the track, so yes it’s over the top just to avoid cleaning wheels as often, but I love car projects and seeing/feeling the differences by upgrading things.

of course there’s the added benefit of reduced rotating mass. I didn’t have anything more than my home-human scale, so approximate rotor weight change was 23lbs iron versus 12lbs stock

lastly, the visual difference in rotor and caliper size is gratifying

I’ve only done a quick drive so far, but the steering weight difference is noticeably lighter. And after I’m able to do a proper bedding procedure, I’ll report back on brake feel.

A couple before/after shots for comparison

Front driver, iron

Front driver, PCCB

Rear driver, iron

Rear driver, PCCB
Good work

What wheels are they ? They look like BC Forged ?
Specs ?
Old 03-21-2024, 09:04 PM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Atgani
Good work

What wheels are they ? They look like BC Forged ?
Specs ?
thanks!!

Signature Forged SV104, Royal Gold
Front: 19x8.5 et50
Rear: 19x11 et55, OE center cap bore
The following users liked this post:
jbkusa (03-21-2024)

Quick Reply: 997.2 C2S Iron to PCCB Conversion Complete