Sponsored by:

High mileage 997.1 3.8 150k miles - short block replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 06:05 PM
Nnguyen04
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mileage 997.1 3.8 150k miles - short block replaced

Looking to buy a high mileage 997 with 150k. According to car fax, at 98k miles this happened. Is this related to the bore scoring ?

Vacuum leaks repaired
Spark plugs repaired or replaced
Internal short block components repaired or replaced

Also at 143k miles this happened.
Exhaust repaired
Exhaust manifold gasket replaced
Oxygen sensor replaced
Fluids checked
Front brake pads replaced
Oil filler tube replaced
Serpentine belt replaced
Coolant reservoir replaced
Antifreeze/coolant checked
Oil and filter changed

Should I be concern at all? Few accidents as well but no air bag deployed. Full service history at dealer. 2 owners only.

Last edited by Nnguyen04; 03-17-2024 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:28 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 972 Posts

With the number of 997 for sale there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche you will pay sooner or later but much $$$ will leave your wallet
look for a well maintained car
The following 2 users liked this post by EVOMMM:
groovzilla (03-17-2024), waterpanda (03-18-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 09:26 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,568 Likes on 942 Posts

2009 C2S 196K miles

These cars are super expensive if dealing with engine-related issues (beyond a pump or sensor). Unless you have deep pockets, there is no way I would buy a car like this. If you are really really interested, I would find out who did the work and contact them for further inquiry. I have spoken to many Porsche owners who had engine problems and had some local shop do the major repairs, most of which quickly sold their cars off. They did not do what was required... including installing iron sleeves and only in the worst-case bore. Said another way, major engine work on these cars is super expensive to do it correctly and my first suspicion when discussing a car that did have major work, is to assume it was done on the cheap.

Good luck, let us know what you do.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
The following users liked this post:
8x57IRS (03-18-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 09:40 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 383 Likes on 248 Posts

Price? Records of service? Neither scares me as 50k plus miles ago was the engine service and the service 7k miles ago seems mainly maintenance related. But as others have said it isn’t the car for me. But for you…..

I think it comes down to your wants, financial stability and ability to deal with headaches. If you are reaching to buy this I wouldn’t as it will still have 100k car upkeep. If you are buying for a daily driver I would find a nicer example as this may give you some headaches. If this is a third or track car and the price is in the mid to low 20s I’d say proceed cautiously.

What do you plan on using it for?
Old 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Nnguyen04
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 196K miles

These cars are super expensive if dealing with engine-related issues (beyond a pump or sensor). Unless you have deep pockets, there is no way I would buy a car like this. If you are really really interested, I would find out who did the work and contact them for further inquiry. I have spoken to many Porsche owners who had engine problems and had some local shop do the major repairs, most of which quickly sold their cars off. They did not do what was required... including installing iron sleeves and only in the worst-case bore. Said another way, major engine work on these cars is super expensive to do it correctly and my first suspicion when discussing a car that did have major work, is to assume it was done on the cheap.

Good luck, let us know what you do.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
wow almost 200k on original engine ?

for my car, all maintenance was done at dealership.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:58 PM
Nnguyen04
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kellen
Price? Records of service? Neither scares me as 50k plus miles ago was the engine service and the service 7k miles ago seems mainly maintenance related. But as others have said it isn’t the car for me. But for you…..

I think it comes down to your wants, financial stability and ability to deal with headaches. If you are reaching to buy this I wouldn’t as it will still have 100k car upkeep. If you are buying for a daily driver I would find a nicer example as this may give you some headaches. If this is a third or track car and the price is in the mid to low 20s I’d say proceed cautiously.

What do you plan on using it for?
3rd car for weekend sprinted driving. Price is below 20. It needs other work like convertible don’t work right weak opening, spoiler button don’t work, pasm don’t work. Check engine light for O2 sensor, minor leather crack. Exterior is decent. Im planning to run a full dme report on it from a foxwell tool to check for misfire or anything I can.

All work was done at the dealership so I might call them tomorrow to find out more information. It runs and drives fine. Suspension has no leaks and takes sharp turns with ease. No leaks anywhere.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:18 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 383 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Nnguyen04
3rd car for weekend sprinted driving. Price is below 20. It needs other work like convertible don’t work right weak opening, spoiler button don’t work, pasm don’t work. Check engine light for O2 sensor, minor leather crack. Exterior is decent. Im planning to run a full dme report on it from a foxwell tool to check for misfire or anything I can.

All work was done at the dealership so I might call them tomorrow to find out more information. It runs and drives fine. Suspension has no leaks and takes sharp turns with ease. No leaks anywhere.
I assume manual then with a dme? If under 20 I may consider it if you have the financial means and time. Just know it will be a pain likely and more of a hobby, not an investment.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:30 PM
Nnguyen04
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kellen
I assume manual then with a dme? If under 20 I may consider it if you have the financial means and time. Just know it will be a pain likely and more of a hobby, not an investment.
for sure no investment for this car. I just hope I don’t have to drop 10k soon on it and get to enjoy it for at least 20k
Old 03-18-2024, 07:55 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 972 Posts

highly doubtful!!!
the previous owner couldn’t or wouldn’t address simple fix issues
only convinced me that you’re going to spend lots of money on this car
Old 03-18-2024, 10:40 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 709 Likes on 443 Posts

Under $20K is the right price, but it is often the case (on this board anyway) that the new owner immediately finds himself spending $5K in parts (plus whatever labor) in order to keep this car running. At 150,000 miles, there are lots to be done.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Nnguyen04
6th Gear

Originally Posted by yelcab
Under $20K is the right price, but it is often the case (on this board anyway) that the new owner immediately finds himself spending $5K in parts (plus whatever labor) in order to keep this car running. At 150,000 miles, there are lots to be done.
For sure I am expecting to spend at least 3-5K to get it where it needs to be. I just want to make sure engine is fine, planning to pull a full DME report on it this week.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:53 PM
SpectreH
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Nnguyen04

The PASM and Spoiler buttons not working could simply be the dash switch assembly. My PSM and Spolier buttons were inop and replacing the button assembly fixed both issues.

Last edited by SpectreH; 03-19-2024 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:30 AM
Nnguyen04
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SpectreH
The PASM and Spoiler buttons not working could simply be the dash switch assemble. My PSM and Spolier buttons were inop and replacing the button assemble fixed both issues.
yea im going to hook up a foxwell to it and test the spoiler and psm function without the buttons to see.

Quick Reply: High mileage 997.1 3.8 150k miles - short block replaced