Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 05:28 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts
Default Crankase Bleeding/Breather PVC - Please Explain

2009 C2S 195K miles

I am trying to understand how oil gets into the intake plenum. Can someone describe this system to me?

Reason: I am getting paranoid about intake valve carbon buildup and want to understand the system that contributes to this issue. From reviewing the Porsche parts diagrams, oil vapor comes from two sources... 1) the air/oil separator, and 2) "crankcase housing bleeding ventilation" on each of the heads. Through various hoses and junctions including a "vapor purge valve solenoid", and then fed back to the throttle body just after the butterfly for injection into the plenum. Is this correct?

I am looking for something to clean, or empty, or check for functionality of this system. Yes, the voices in my head are getting louder.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Old 02-09-2024, 05:55 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 442 Posts

Your engine lasts 200,000 miles. What are you paranoid about?
Old 02-09-2024, 06:10 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yelcab
Your engine lasts 200,000 miles. What are you paranoid about?
I want to know where there are maintenance items for a car at this mileage. Given direct injection is pretty infamous for clogged intake valves, I am wondering if there is any maintenance I can do here. Anything that can clog? Examples of other items include changing power steering fluid and engine coolant... I don't agree they are lifetime fluids so I changed them out. Changing the manual transmission fluid way earlier than 120K miles as denoted in the manual is a good thing.... etc.

Peace
Old 02-09-2024, 06:49 PM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Do us all a big favor and have your intake removed so we can see how the valve stems look. Have them cleaned if needed. Curious minds want to know.
The following users liked this post:
Que (02-14-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PapaC4S
Do us all a big favor and have your intake removed so we can see how the valve stems look. Have them cleaned if needed. Curious minds want to know.
Glad to oblige... how much money would you like to contribute to the effort?

I would love to do it but a bit intimidated... lower the engine a bit? Start unbolting? Access to do the work?

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02-09-2024 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:44 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I am trying to understand how oil gets into the intake plenum.
At a high level... Oil vapor is present in the engine crankcase air space. Because of vacuum in the throttle body that is directed via tubing to the AOS and ultimately a hole in the crankcase case, the oil vapor is sucked into the AOS. The AOS attempts to separate the oil vapor from the air. Any liquid oil is drained back into the crankcase. Any remaining oil vapor in the air continues towards the throttle body via tubing. The oil vapor can condense on the surfaces of the intake system (throttle body, plenum, intake runners). This is why you can find liquid oil in the intake tract.

When the AOS fails, it no longer separates the oil vapor and entrained oil from the air - hence one gets a lot of oil in the intake system leading to the smoky exhaust condition. Sometimes there's enough oil making it to the cylinder to cause hydrolock and engine damage.
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (02-10-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 11:11 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanx for that.

So what does that "purge solenoid" do? It appears to be a valve(?) that is on the line to the throttle body.

And, what are the channels for oil vapor getting into the intake plenum? Appears to be that tube to the throttle body, are there other ways? The diagrams are not clear about pipe routing. Does all vapor pass through the AOS? then though that solenoid? Then on to the throttle body?

Peace
Old 02-09-2024, 11:28 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Thanx for that.

So what does that "purge solenoid" do? It appears to be a valve(?) that is on the line to the throttle body.
You're welcome.

The purge solenoid is part of the emissions subsystem that captures the fuel vapors in the gas tank.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm
Old 02-09-2024, 11:43 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

And, what are the channels for oil vapor getting into the intake plenum? Appears to be that tube to the throttle body, are there other ways? The diagrams are not clear about pipe routing. Does all vapor pass through the AOS? then though that solenoid? Then on to the throttle body?
The vacuum system and oil vapor handling system are different.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ng-needed.html

Oil vapor handling is described with this diagram. I don't know where every line terminates but one/some must terminate at throttle body for the vacuum.

Old 02-10-2024, 08:52 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am not sure of this... the solenoid I was referring to, is on the line that attaches to the side of the throttle body. 9A1 110 091 02 "breather line complete" is actually called "Porsche Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid" on parts supplier pages https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...110-093-04-OEM.

Where is this vapor canister? Gas or oil? On the parts list, it is item #1 under "Crankcase housing Bleeding Tank ventilation" - two separate things? Oil and gas? Or a single system.... very confusing. I have trouble believing they are routing gas vapors to the intake plenum... while that would be good for limiting carbon buildup on the intake valves, seems like it may be a cause of fires or other loss of combustion control.

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02-10-2024 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by jchapura
The vacuum system and oil vapor handling system are different.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ng-needed.html

Oil vapor handling is described with this diagram. I don't know where every line terminates but one/some must terminate at throttle body for the vacuum.
In this diagram, hose #8 is the one that returns oil vapor to the intake tract.

Old 02-10-2024, 09:44 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Is this on a .2? What is the part number of that unit, I can't find it?

Peace
Old 02-10-2024, 10:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Is this on a .2? What is the part number of that unit, I can't find it?

Peace
Diagram and my photo are from .1s. Don't have any .2 cars.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:40 AM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

I am not sure of this... the solenoid I was referring to, is on the line that attaches to the side of the throttle body. 9A1 110 091 02 "breather line complete" is actually called "Porsche Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid" on parts supplier pages https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...110-093-04-OEM.

Where is this vapor canister? Gas or oil? On the parts list, it is item #1 under "Crankcase housing Bleeding Tank ventilation" - two separate things? Oil and gas? Or a single system.... very confusing. I have trouble believing they are routing gas vapors to the intake plenum... while that would be good for limiting carbon buildup on the intake valves, seems like it may be a cause of fires or other loss of combustion control.

Peace
​​​​​​Here is a link that might help explain a little bit about the evap system.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ocation-2.html
Old 02-10-2024, 11:45 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jchapura
​​​​​​Here is a link that might help explain a little bit about the evap system.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ocation-2.html
Wow, cool... thanx. So..... Well..... If this is introducing gasoline vapor into the intake plenum, then this may a reason we with .2 engines are not having intake valve coking. Hmmmmm......... Thoughts?

Peace

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02-10-2024 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Crankase Bleeding/Breather PVC - Please Explain