Sponsored by:

An Atlas Grey Journey: 997.1 Carrera S Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 10:59 AM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by secasensei
I've subscribed to follow your updates, I love Atlas Grey and considered putting that car in a truck heading west. Congrats.
Ha, good thing I got to it first . I actually drove to the dealer to look at that silver Targa S they then sold on BAT the day they got the car into the showroom. Once I saw this car I knew this is the one. Drove back the next day for a short test drive and did a quick inspection on their lift myself. Pulled the trigger right after that.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:59 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Knocked out a few items on my to-do list this weekend.

1. Got the new steering wheel from DallasSteeringWheel installed. Getting the airbag off was a major PIA on this car--E92 was much easier. And the wheel isn't keyed, so you should really mark the steering column pin with a marker. I didn't that do... and have to remount the wheel twice to get it right. Anyway, it was good to get rid of the cracked carbon fiber wheel.

2. Threw the Numeric pedals on. Heel-toe downshift is quite a bit easier now, but I still need more practice with this car. Looks nice too.

3. Changed out halogen bulbs on the parking, fog, and all the interior lights to white LEDs, using the kits listed in this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-997-1-a.html) and the interior LED kit from Suncoast. Ran into some issues however. The amber LED bulbs for the front turning signals are too large for the foglights on my car for whatever reasons. And the glovebox/footwell lights from Suncoast was very poorly put together. 2 out 3 didn't work and one of which even shorted out my glovebox switch... Now my glovebox light doesn't work even with the old halogen bulbs. Quite disappointed with Suncoast. I reached out and see what they can do about this.

4. Installed the PCCM+. I was expecting this job was gonna give me the most trouble given how many issues other people run into. But actually turned out to be the easiest if you read up on the DIYs on this forum and on Youtube. I put on the Rennline phone mount too while I was at it (overpriced but whatever).

Drove for 3.5 hr to Summit Point Raceway this evening for the skidpad event tomorrow. Figured it will be a fun and low risk way of learning how to slide around with this car without dealing with snow and road salt. Tractive RT coilover was ordered too and will be installed by TPC along with the other suspension parts when that's ready in the spring

Last edited by cloud9blue; 02-03-2024 at 11:01 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by cloud9blue:
Busta Rib (02-04-2024), fiddlesticks (02-06-2024), ftc3 (02-04-2024), Graufuchs (02-05-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 10:59 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Slowing getting the hang of it at the skidpad today with Road Potomac at Summit Point.
The following 6 users liked this post by cloud9blue:
Busta Rib (02-04-2024), fiddlesticks (02-06-2024), Graufuchs (02-05-2024), Kechu (03-08-2024), plpete84 (03-09-2024), tegraphile (02-05-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-09-2024, 08:15 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Installed the Numeric shifter this afternoon. Wasn’t too bad of a job. The most difficult part was getting all the trims off without scratching anything and trying not to crack the fragile carbon fiber trims in this car.

Scanned the car with Durametric while I was at it. As I was expecting, the previous owners were very gentle with this car.

I had the dark limo tint removed from the rear windshield and had it retinted with 70% Llumar Stratos to protect the interior. I can finally see out of the rear when driving at night now!

Last edited by cloud9blue; 02-09-2024 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:13 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Parts are slowly trickling in. Just waiting on the Tractive coil over, Girodisc rotors, and ultimate integrated dry sump from @Porschetech3 now. Hopefully I can get the car set up and ready for some track days in April.

Not in a huge rush anyway, the car is a joy to drive and look at as it is right now.

Last edited by cloud9blue; 03-08-2024 at 06:15 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by cloud9blue:
Benlavigne (03-10-2024), Graufuchs (03-08-2024), plpete84 (03-09-2024), Porschetech3 (03-08-2024), Spastblast (03-11-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 12:02 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Knocked out a few more items in the past week.

1. Installed the Girodiscs 350mm rotors and PFC 08 pads on all four corners. Bleed the brake fluid with Castrol SRF while I was at it.

Glad I did that, the old fluid was nasty (I doubt the dealer flushed it even though they said they did... because it certainly doesn't look 3 months old to me...)

2. Got the track wheelset mounted and all ready to go.

3. Swapped out the engine mounts with the Rennline ones and did the air filter while I was at it. The old mounts on mine weren't so bad, but it is more than 15 years old, so I figured I might as well.

Car looks pretty sharp with the black Apex SM-10. Got a half day track day this Friday at NJMP. While I am still missing a few important upgrades (coilover + GT3 from LCA + DCS controller, UIDS kit, center radiator), the current setup should be more than okay for me to get to know the car better on track.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:18 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Removed the engine mounts. While it definitely makes the car feel tighter, it introduced too much rattle to the sunroof assembly at 3k and 5k rpm. Too much for a mostly street driven car.

I will just get a set of stock replacements instead.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:20 AM
Spastblast
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

You could try the OEM 993RS mounts, tighter but not too much, if you ask me.
The following users liked this post:
cloud9blue (03-26-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 07:27 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Got the center radiator and low temp thermostat installed on Monday by my local shop, Provost Motorsport, along with mesh screen kit. I think they did a great job and looks like the car came with it.

Got the Ultimate Integrated Dry Sump from @Porschetech3 yesterday evening and got it installed in the garage immediately after UPS dropped it off. Very nicely done and well worth the peace of mind IMO for maintaining proper oil pressure on track.

Then woke up at 4am today and drive 2 hours to drop off the car at TPC Racing to let them do their magic with the new Tractive DDA RT coilover along with other suspension upgrades. Can't wait to pick up the car on Friday and try out the new setup at NJMP Thunderbolt this weekend. Very nice showroom!

Old 04-03-2024, 08:30 PM
JP_Gervs
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
Got the center radiator and low temp thermostat installed on Monday by my local shop, Provost Motorsport, along with mesh screen kit. I think they did a great job and looks like the car came with it.

Got the Ultimate Integrated Dry Sump from @Porschetech3 yesterday evening and got it installed in the garage immediately after UPS dropped it off. Very nicely done and well worth the peace of mind IMO for maintaining proper oil pressure on track.

Then woke up at 4am today and drive 2 hours to drop off the car at TPC Racing to let them do their magic with the new Tractive DDA RT coilover along with other suspension upgrades. Can't wait to pick up the car on Friday and try out the new setup at NJMP Thunderbolt this weekend. Very nice showroom!

Great car and awesome stuff in this post. Provost is like 20 min from me. Where are you at?
Old 04-03-2024, 09:24 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JP_Gervs
Great car and awesome stuff in this post. Provost is like 20 min from me. Where are you at?
Lawrenceville-Pennington region. Don't mind the MA plate, car is currently registered to our Boston address while we are planning a move back to NJ this year. Didn't want to deal with NJ DMV, at least not yet...
Old 04-03-2024, 09:53 PM
JP_Gervs
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
Lawrenceville-Pennington region. Don't mind the MA plate, car is currently registered to our Boston address while we are planning a move back to NJ this year. Didn't want to deal with NJ DMV, at least not yet...
Such a great area, we used to live in Lawrence, about 5 mins from Terhune. That was pre-Porsche days but I have ventured back out that in my car a few times, we made a nice trip out to that great little cafe/market type place. I forget the name of it. Awesome roads and scenery out that way.

edit: brick farm market!

Last edited by JP_Gervs; 04-03-2024 at 10:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cloud9blue (04-03-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 10:41 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Finally got the suspension work all done by TPC last week (it was a pleasure working with Tom and Mike and their crew by the way). Tractive DDA RT coilover, Tarett race front LCA, and Elephant Racing rear toe were installed. Spring rates are 100 N/mm (570 lb/in) front and 150 N/mm (850 lb/in) rear. I probably could have gone a little softer with the spring rate--I get very little body roll on track with this setup while running street 200TW tires, even with stock sways.

By the way, I would not recommend ER rear toe arms from my and TPC experience with them. The adjustment nuts are tucked in very close to the subframe when installed and the nuts are very thin--rendering them very difficult to adjust. But otherwise they work just like any other toe arms. Btw, these photos were from Tom while they were working on the car.

At this point, I am more than pleased with how the car is set up. It looks great while still retaining its stock elegance and offers more driving enjoyment than anything I have driven so far.

Quick Reply: An Atlas Grey Journey: 997.1 Carrera S Build Thread