Sponsored by:

Preemptively replace water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 11:14 AM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by spessx
... aside from figuring out how to bleed the air back out of the cooling system.
UView Airlift.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:35 AM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 349 Posts

Is this the one?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...yABEgKnH_D_BwE

If so, are you happy with it? The install can't be that bad aside from figuring out how to bleed the air back out of the cooling system.
That is the one. It’s cheap preventative maintenance and the install is pretty straight forward. From that aspect I’m happy (don’t really have a clear idea of how much it keeps temps down compared to without it). Feel better knowing it’s there with an LTT and a new water pump. And like the post above, I used the Airlift to fill the system back up. I believe you’re pretty local to me in Austin, and since you drive a Speed Yellow 997, I’d gladly lend you mine to top the system off.

Last edited by TerrestrialFlyte; 08-30-2023 at 11:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TerrestrialFlyte:
FlatsixS (08-31-2023), spessx (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 03:48 PM
MR Turco
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jchapura
UView Airlift.
Even with this I had a hell of a time getting air out of the system. I removed and refilled 6 gallons of coolant...
Old 08-30-2023, 03:59 PM
spessx
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
That is the one. It’s cheap preventative maintenance and the install is pretty straight forward. From that aspect I’m happy (don’t really have a clear idea of how much it keeps temps down compared to without it). Feel better knowing it’s there with an LTT and a new water pump. And like the post above, I used the Airlift to fill the system back up. I believe you’re pretty local to me in Austin, and since you drive a Speed Yellow 997, I’d gladly lend you mine to top the system off.
Ha - thanks! I'd actually love to see your car - especially since its an aerokit car. There just aren't many speed yellow cars around.

I've got my car booked in at TPWS to do the IMS solution, RMS, Clutch, water pump and LTT in the next few weeks. I'll be doing the other projects (like adding the third radiator and some kind of short shifter) as time goes on. I plan on this being a long termer.

Last edited by spessx; 08-30-2023 at 04:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 04:03 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,556 Likes on 4,170 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Even with this I had a hell of a time getting air out of the system. I removed and refilled 6 gallons of coolant...
Surprising. When I did it on my 997, it was a single fill and done. May have added 1/4" of coolant height in the tank after the first few drives.
FlatsixS (08-31-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 04:08 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Ha - thanks! I'd actually love to see your car - especially since its an aerokit car. There just aren't many speed yellow cars around.

I've got my car booked in at TPWS to do the IMS solution, RMS, Clutch, water pump and LTT in the next few weeks. I'll be doing the other projects (like adding the third radiator and some kind of short shifter) as time goes on. I plan on this being a long termer.
Good deal. I enjoy turning the wrenches myself. Once it cools off a bit in the evenings I’m going to tackle the spark plus and coil packs. It’s just too hot right now. Considering a run down LCR this weekend. Maybe I can catch you out there.

I did everything at once so it was mostly drained. I did drive around the block a few times with the heater on and topped it off when I got back. I checked it the next few times I took it out to make sure it was staying full.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:22 PM
MR Turco
Instructor

I did everything at once so it was mostly drained. I did drive around the block a few times with the heater on and topped it off when I got back. I checked it the next few times I took it out to make sure it was staying full.
Yep I eventually got it, just took me a few times of driving it.

For the thread, I proactively replaced it at 21k miles. I figured, given age of the car, it was worth while to do the fluid anyway and it was a fun project, aside from the bleeding.
TerrestrialFlyte (08-31-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 04:24 PM
spessx
Racer

Yep I eventually got it, just took me a few times of driving it.

For the thread, I proactively replaced it at 21k miles. I figured, given age of the car, it was worth while to do the fluid anyway and it was a fun project, aside from the bleeding.
Fun project? I just watched a video. The bumper cover has to be removed and lots of other stuff removed (aside from draining the coolant) just to access the water pump. After just replacing my AOS and hoses I decided to outsource my water pump and LTT.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:43 PM
MR Turco
Instructor

Fun project? I just watched a video. The bumper cover has to be removed and lots of other stuff removed (aside from draining the coolant) just to access the water pump. After just replacing my AOS and hoses I decided to outsource my water pump and LTT.
I have a lift and did it over the winter, along with the AOS and starter cable (THOSE were terrible btw). Removing the bumper isn't an issue on this car at all, plus allows you to clean some hidden bits.

The water pump and thermostat wasn't bad all things considered.
The following 3 users liked this post by MR Turco:
sierra73 (09-11-2023), spessx (08-30-2023), TerrestrialFlyte (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 12:14 PM
spessx
Racer

So I just received the estimate from the shop to do the work. I'll be having the clutch replaced at the same time. They said that they'll inspect the flywheel and replace if necessary. What are everyone's thoughts on this? I'm guessing its a dual mass flywheel. Are they prone to failure? Or is it ok to continue to run a DMFW that already has almost 100k miles on it?
Old 08-31-2023, 12:44 PM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

What center mount radiator did you use? I live in TX also and this is not a bad idea even if you're not tracking your car.
For the 997.1, the original genuine Porsche (OE part) is really inexpensive (about $200ish) and comes with everything needed to add the center radiator. It is original OE as is used in the Automatic Triptonic version. Also everything in the front of the car is prepped and factory ready from assembly line to install it. Great addition and no so complex to install, (at least is a lot easier than replacing the water pump) still needed of course to drain and refill the coolant. Well recommended for warm areas.
BTW, as you will need to empty and refill the coolant on the system, is good to do it with the airlift (or similar) and check all hoses at the time when the system is vacuumed (previously to the re-load of refrigerant). My Indy did a test of 10min (or so) with the system completely kept “in vacuum” (hoses will be “squeezed” by the vacuum). If all keeps the vacuum during this time, then the whole pipes, hoses and radiators are “good to go” and ready to fill with the coolant. Using the airlift for refill assures no air in the system.
OE Porsche center Radiator kit for 997.1 part# 997-044-100-05-M100 (Genuine OE)

Last edited by FlatsixS; 08-31-2023 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:44 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Ask them to pull the IMS seal while they are in there if it hasn’t already been done.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:20 PM
spessx
Racer

Ask them to pull the IMS seal while they are in there if it hasn’t already been done.
My car is an early 2005 with the smaller bearing. I'm replacing it with the IMS Solution.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:45 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

My car is an early 2005 with the smaller bearing. I'm replacing it with the IMS Solution.
Good call. I’d do the same if I were in your shoes.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:53 PM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

the seal is not the same as the famous problematic bearing. Is a faulty sealing that is cheap but originally can leak some oil, so should be replaced with an “improved” version. It can only be done when you replace the clutch.
I guess that the other you refer, is to open the original bearing seal to allow better lubrication with engine oil?

Last edited by FlatsixS; 08-31-2023 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Preemptively replace water pump?