997.2 GTS OEM+ Build Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 05:22 PM
Lulzthax
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 997.2 GTS OEM+ Build Project

Welcome to my build thread!

I have been lurking these forums for quite some time and have finally acquired my first 911. After completing a couple upgrades/restoration mods I figured it would be great to document the build for myself and others.

A Quick Backstory on the 2011 997.2 911 Carrera GTS:
  • Single Owner Car - Acquired from a local friend and fellow enthusiast who originally purchased this car new from Beverly Hills Porsche back in 2011.
  • 41k miles - Average of ~4k a year since purchase, not bad! Enough to stretch the legs but still retain that minty feeling. He drove it for the first 3 years and for the last 9 his wife has been using it as her weekend car and for quick trips in town
  • Condition - Upon putting it on the lift my Porsche mechanic said the car was almost unbelievably clean for the year/mileage. The GTS runs flawlessly and recently had the ~40k maintenance done including PDK fluids etc before I purchased. Porsche dealership did the PPI and it passed with flying colors other than brakes needing to be one in the next few thousand miles.
  • Reason for Resto Mods / Upgrades - Although the car has been extremely well taken care of, the owner ran out of room within his garage so it has been relegated to being parked outside for the last 1-2 years. Diamond in the rough is a complete overstatement but my job here was turning an 8.5/9 into a 9.5/10.
I can post the spec list/window sticker if anyone is interested.

I will preface this build log with the fact that I was in quite the dilemma before purchasing this car. I have never owned a vehicle more than 1-2 years old at time of purchase and my recent car history progression included: BMW M4 --> Range Rover --> Tesla Model Y (hated it) --> Rivian R1T --> 997 911 GTS. At the time of purchase I was debating between picking this up and a 2018 911 Carrera T. After driving this car for a couple months and 1.5k miles later I quickly realized I had made the right decision (for me) and thus begun restoring her to her former glory as well as adding some personal preference upgrades along the way.

Hopefully that wall of text wasn't too bland to get through... now on to the fun stuff.

The list is long but I feel as though I have replaced many minor wear items, carried out aesthetic restorations, and overall made the car increasingly enjoyable to drive. I may have some minor OCD with detailing it but hopefully those in a similar boat will appreciate the thoroughness.

Obligatory Side Pic

Function First Engine Mounts - SLIGHTLY stiffer than stock. My exhaust had a minor sag on the right side and the car just didn't feel very "tight" in the back end. My passenger seat would also harshly vibrate at idle. After replacing it the vibration has surprisingly subsided and the back end tightened up monumentally without being adding much NVH at all.

Wiper cowl was the first to be replaced. Since the car sat outside for most of the past year this was very sun faded. $130 later and an hour of cursing myself I touted this as a no brainer replacement.

This one was a bit tough to swallow at ~$500 but it really did look much worse in person with the spiderwebbing and cracking. It would also fill with mist/humidity when I washed the car.

BBS Muffler Bypass really brought this car to life. I was afraid it would be too loud but it really is just perfect. I would have done the install myself if I had a lift. Since the car has PSE I now actually have a fun and quiet mode instead of quiet and quieter mode.

Examples of trim pieces I have replaced. I will post pics of the others at some point but for me at $30 a trim piece for most they too were no brainers.

Last edited by Lulzthax; 07-28-2023 at 05:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lulzthax:
RDS928S (07-28-2023), sandwedge (07-29-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 05:28 PM
Lulzthax
Rennlist Member

Replaced stock "Grey" Centerlock Nuts with RS black ones. The original ones has been improperly washed with harsh wheel cleaner so they were completely faded. I also swapped for black caps.

Brakes were due "soon" so I took it upon myself to do them a bit early. Given that I am not tracking the car I know that slotted is not necessary but I personally just like the look better. The slotted versions were only about $100 more in total for all 4 rotors and I went with Hawk Ceramic pads. These pads have considerably less brake dust so far and I am pleased. I was also happy to get rid of the ugly rust on the rotor hubs after replacement.

Might be the best $800 I spent. Paint correction and Ceramic Coat truly made the exterior "pop". I showed the original owner and he was taken aback. He also told me that it looks just as good as the day he picked it up and I am not allowed to drive it over to his home as his wife still gives him **** for selling it.

I have much more documentation to come and will be posting some proper post detail pics of the car. Hope you all enjoyed thus far!

Last edited by Lulzthax; 07-28-2023 at 05:55 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Lulzthax:
EVOMMM (07-28-2023), gaiakai (07-31-2023), Graufuchs (07-30-2023), Ob917 (07-28-2023), porscheconvert (08-13-2024), RDS928S (07-28-2023), sandwedge (07-29-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Ob917
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 168 Posts

Awesome, car looks great
Old 07-28-2023, 08:25 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

Congrats! And pull the trigger on the DSC Controller ASAP. Best bang-for-the-buck mod you can do.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 09:05 PM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 420 Posts

Very cool. Interesting car history a bit surprised to see you in a 997 after all those newer vehicles. Hope you enjoy it! 997s are special.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:33 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 170 Posts

This thread warmed my heart to know that there is someone else crazy enough to invest in keeping a GTS in top form… I’m also going through a refreshing of some interior pieces, paint correction, new PPF, center locks, etc. on my ~40K mile GTS.

‘Can’t wait to see what else you do!
Old 07-28-2023, 11:55 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

Congrat's on your new GTS.
The center muffler delete/ X-pipe, DSC and new wheels with correct offsets are three great mods.
Looking forward to reading this thread.

BTW, If you want to try some OZ Ultraleggeras wheels, I am replacing a set with new forged OZ Superforgiatas.
I'll sell you my set for cheap- should be available mid August. They are slightly lighter than the RS Spyders and fill the wheel well gaps.
Also allow 245/325 contact patches...

OZ Ultraleggera (Form Flow = Cast)
Front 9X19, Offset 47mm 21.6 lbs
Rear 12X19 Offset 48mm 24.8 lbs

OEM RS Spyders (Forged)
Made by Fuchsfelge (Original manufacturer of Porsche Fuchs forged wheels)
Front 8.5 x 19, Offset 56mm 22.7 lbs
11 x 19, Offset 51mm 26.5 lbs

Old 07-28-2023, 11:59 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,519 Likes on 651 Posts

Very nice job and thanks for posting. Replacing things like the ignition bezel, door pull, and sill trim make a huge difference as these all get scratched up from carelessness. My 997.2 TT's previous owner had a bad habit of grabbing the door pull with the keys in his hand which was a simple replacement. Center console repaint using Bruce's DIY instructions also made a huge difference.

I need new centerlock nuts too as the lettering is faded from improper care. Where did you get yours? I did a DIY paint correction/ceramic coat (black car which is truly a nightmare) and probably spent around 50 hours on it. $800 is a steal if they did a quality job.

Where in SoCal are you? Lots of Porsche events in the South Bay where I am.

Last edited by PV997; 07-29-2023 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-29-2023, 04:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
The center muffler delete/ X-pipe, DSC and new wheels with correct offsets are three great mods.

BTW, If you want to try some OZ Ultraleggeras wheels, I am replacing a set with new forged OZ Superforgiatas.
I'll sell you my set for cheap- should be available mid August. They are slightly lighter than the RS Spyders and fill the wheel well gaps.

OEM RS Spyders (Forged)
Great point since the GTS OEM wheel offsets are...let's call them "conservative". And since spacers aren't an option with centerlock wheels, after market wheels with customized offsets is the only solution. Completely transforms the stance and look of the car especially if combined with a tasteful drop with springs or coilovers.
Old 07-29-2023, 12:00 PM
brnjms
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome write up! I’ve also acquired a 997.2 GTS OEM+ OCD bug! Where did you get all your parts? Specifically the windshield cowl? Its looking great!
Old 07-31-2023, 02:21 AM
Lulzthax
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Congrats! And pull the trigger on the DSC Controller ASAP. Best bang-for-the-buck mod you can do.
I FINALLY convinced myself to pull the trigger and wouldn't ya know.... they are currently backordered ha.

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn

OEM RS Spyders (Forged)
Yes! That does peak my interest, please keep me posted. Especially if tires are up for grabs as well.

Originally Posted by PV997
Very nice job and thanks for posting. Replacing things like the ignition bezel, door pull, and sill trim make a huge difference as these all get scratched up from carelessness. My 997.2 TT's previous owner had a bad habit of grabbing the door pull with the keys in his hand which was a simple replacement. Center console repaint using Bruce's DIY instructions also made a huge difference.

I need new centerlock nuts too as the lettering is faded from improper care. Where did you get yours? I did a DIY paint correction/ceramic coat (black car which is truly a nightmare) and probably spent around 50 hours on it. $800 is a steal if they did a quality job.

Where in SoCal are you? Lots of Porsche events in the South Bay where I am.
It's funny because the previous owner was going to get them redone but was quoted like $1.5-2k...the full RS center lock set is available on Suncoast for only $580! No brainer vs trying to refinish them...assuming you are after black (which I was). No idea why the stock grey ones are $3-400 each.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKURSCLN.html

Originally Posted by brnjms
Awesome write up! I’ve also acquired a 997.2 GTS OEM+ OCD bug! Where did you get all your parts? Specifically the windshield cowl? Its looking great!
I mainly went with whoever had the cheapest price at the time which was split between Pelican Parts, Suncoast and Partsgeek
The following users liked this post:
brnjms (07-31-2023)

Quick Reply: 997.2 GTS OEM+ Build Project