Sponsored by:

My PDK just died again

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 10:20 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
Default My PDK just died again

12months 14 days and 500 miles ago my PDK temperature sensor was replaced on my 09 997S.
2 days ago on a very hot day I got a transmission run error with rectangular gear ideogram in Gray and lower speed limp mode
occurred. Went home and let it sit for a while, called my dealer and drove it with the warning to dealer.
waiting to hear what the problem is now.
had a fidelity warranty for the last fix, no longer in Affect . Now what!

UPDATE

Last edited by larrytrk; 07-14-2023 at 01:57 PM.

Popular Reply

08-19-2023, 09:27 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 71 Posts

I ended up buying larrytrk's 997 and figured I should keep everybody informed about the troubleshooting and (hopefully) repair in case it can help somebody else with the same type of failure. First I want to thank larrytrk for a great transaction, a true gentleman. This showed in the car too, very well taken care of.

When I got the car I connected my PIWIS and confirmed the codes:
P0730 Transmission Ratio Monitoring
P17F0 Transmission Overtemp Stage 1
P17F1 Transmission Overtemp Stage 2
P17F2 Transmission Overtemp Stage 3
P173E Transmission Shaft Input Sensor Speed Sensor 2, short circuit to B+ (exceeds limit value)

After clearing the messages I found that P0730 could be triggered by driving forward and back in 1 and R 40-50ft repeatedly. When triggered, gears could not be selected. The fault could be cleared but was again set by the same procedure. There was no indication that the temperature sensor was faulty and the actual temp was well below the threshold for the P17F0 code.

Using the trouble shooting diagram from Porsche for P0730 I could conclude that the three temperature codes are expected consequential faults for a P0730 and can be ignored. The P173E indicates an issue with Speed Sensor 2, consistent with the P0730 code.

I hooked up my PIWIS monitoring engine speed, vehicle speed and Speed Sensor 1 and 2 and started doing the back and forth (1 and R) maneuver again. Once again, the P0730 could be easily triggered. The failure always occurred when going forward in 1st. When doing a normal start in Manual mode the failure would post as soon as 2nd gear was selected. Each time the code could be cleared using PIWIS. The data showed that Speed Sensor 2 was flat-lined at zero rpm. This is consistent with P0730 and P173E codes.

Before tearing into the gearbox I wanted to make sure the issue was with the sensor, not the wiring or the TCU. To do this I gained access to the TCU and measured the speed sensor 2 wire for short to ground and power, no issues were observed. To fully verify the wiring and input stage on the TCU the pins for Sensor 1 and 2 were then swapped at the TCU connector. After starting up, both sensors initially functioned properly. However, when the temperature approached 50C Speed sensor 1 (actually 2 due to the reversed pins) started acting erratically and eventually flat-lined at zero. Lesson learned, when checking sensors ensure the gearbox is up to temperature.

I now feel quite confident that the issue is indeed with Speed Sensor 2. The next step is to open the case on the transmission and replace the speed sensor pack. More to follow...
Old 07-14-2023, 10:30 AM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

First... sorry to hear this!

The PDK replaced under the Fidelity warranty doesn't come with a warranty of its own? Maybe it's a 1yr warranty and now you are at 14 months...

EDIT: Ok, after updating/rereading your first post, you didn't have the transmission replaced but rather a sensor. That changes everything.

Last edited by jbkusa; 07-14-2023 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2023, 01:59 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

See updated listing!
Old 07-14-2023, 03:26 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

The screen shot doesn't say why they're saying it needs replacing.

What is the exact reason they're giving?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2023, 05:52 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

I feel bad for the OP, but it's a bit comical the way these dealers use the online "tools" to notify customers of services required, especially for big things..

I never go to a dealer for my maintenance work on my Porsches (I DIY most everything), but I do occasionally go to the Nissan dealer for an oil change on the wife's car using their coupons they send me.
I always get a link sent to my phone of all these "services" they recommend, just like this screen picture. brake jobs, spark plug changes, etc. etc. It usually ends up being a couple of grand of "recommended" work. You have to click "Deny" on each one,

Maybe they are just hoping you would click the "I approve" box on the 26K repair, lol.

Old 07-14-2023, 05:56 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,746 Posts

Ouch!

Old 07-14-2023, 06:15 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,471 Likes on 630 Posts

To all you marketing people out there, trying to dupe foolish people into buying unneeded and wildly overpriced goods and services is not "sales" but stealing from them. What goes around comes around and karma is a bitch.

All these mistakes always go the same way, you never see places like this "accidentally" underselling stuff. The auto industry is crooked from top to bottom. I really am sick of it, Porsche is amongst the worst offenders.

OP - Have you gotten the PDK failures codes from the dealership? You need to those to really know what's going on. They can be read with a PIWIS, Durametric, higher end Autel, etc.

The replacement temp sensor is about a $50 part and it's a couple hours of labor to replace it. If that failed again (or possibly they did a lousy job when replacing it the first time as wires need to be spliced) then it isn't hard to fix. I've attached the service bulletin showing exactly how to do it.

Get the codes, please post them here so we can dig into them, and don't take an BS from these guys.

Attached Images
The following 9 users liked this post by PV997:
ADias (07-15-2023), DesmoSD (08-23-2023), ethermallu (07-15-2023), Graufuchs (07-15-2023), GTSpure (07-18-2023), Larson E. Rapp (07-19-2023), pirahna (07-18-2023), Presto (07-16-2023), SeanPatrick31 (07-14-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-14-2023, 06:21 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
To all you marketing people out there, trying to dupe foolish people into buying unneeded and wildly overpriced goods and services is not "sales" but stealing from them. What goes around comes around and karma is a bitch.

All these mistakes always go the same way, you never see places like this "accidentally" underselling stuff. The auto industry is crooked from top to bottom. I really am sick of it, Porsche is amongst the worst offenders.

OP - Have you gotten the PDK failures codes from the dealership? You need to those to really know what's going on. They can be read with a PIWIS, Durametric, higher end Autel, etc.

The replacement temp sensor is about a $50 part and it's a couple hours of labor to replace it. If that failed again (or possibly they did a lousy job when replacing it the first time as wires need to be spliced) then it isn't hard to fix. I've attached the service bulletin showing exactly how to do it.

Get the codes, please post them here so we can dig into them, and don't take an BS from these guys.
I concur with your anger and overall supposition.

OP:

If you don't care to or have the facilities to work on your own car bring it to a trusted independent for a scan/service.

Last edited by Graufuchs; 07-14-2023 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2023, 10:37 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 876 Posts

2009 C2S 191K miles

Contact Atlanta Speedwerks for advice. They are one of two shops in the USA that repair these things. When I was there, they had cars from all over the East US getting their PDKs repaired. Or, they may know of a shop near you who can do repairs, as they seem to know who around the USA has these capabilities.

I would get the car scanned first, they will want to know the codes. You can get your car scanned at any Autozone for free. Or just ask your dealer what codes they pulled, I don't see why they won't tell you.

https://atlspeedwerks.com/

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 07-14-2023 at 10:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
toddlamb (07-18-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 08:22 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. I go in Monday to get all the information, will keep you appraised!
Old 07-15-2023, 11:28 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,711 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997

Preach it brotha! This is exactly why I signed up for Rennlist years ago. I saved lots of money by doing it myself. Just last week, I was quoted $1000+ to change out two tie-rods and full alignment. I purchased the two OEM tie-rods from FCP Euro for $25 each and installed them myself. Then took it to a reputable local tire shop and had them align the front for $70. Felt good to beat the system.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 07-15-2023 at 12:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
BondJ (07-19-2023), Kodos9865 (07-17-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 02:28 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,746 Posts

Dealers are rippoffs. Well known fact. Indy's can be just as bad and reason for finding superior Porsche Indy who is honest.
I've been fortunate to have one of the best Porsche Indy's 5 blocks from my house for past 37 years. Aker's Porsche.
Stories like this make me realize how lucky I am.

Hope OP gets out of this PDK failure with an inexpensive fix.
All the best.

Old 07-17-2023, 03:29 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Bad news, so far not repairable from dealer and Indy here. May have to sell the car as is or bite the bullet for replacement PDK at a high price.
anyone interested in a pristine Black 997.2S with 63,700 miles. CarPlay, rear camera, Das Shield, remotekey, sport classic wheels,toe hook front plate, renntech phone mount,
clear bra front, on headlights and mirror backs, front grill screens and a rear plate backup sensor, sport Exhaust with button in console ashtray
offers accepted.
any suggestions as to what to do with the car??

Last edited by larrytrk; 07-17-2023 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2023, 04:55 PM
997ajk
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Parts warranty and if labour was done at Porsche is 2 years... So if your warranty paid for it then - it should be covered as longest the issue is the same sensor.

Otherwise - I suggest: Go to Indy shop - have the tranny removed, ship it to vendor that does repair PDKs.. replace the few sensors (temp and distance) and reinstall - it should be no more then $7.5k ... sell the car if you want then ... otherwise your car may only be worth $20-30k as it sits right now.

Old 07-17-2023, 04:56 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Bad news, so far not repairable from dealer and Indy here.
any suggestions as to what to do with the car??
To get good advice, you'll need to share the details on the diagnosis of the failure. Because depending on the details, there are difference courses of action.

For example, is it the temperature sensor? Is it a shift rod problem? Is it a speed sensor? Metal shards in the transmission pan? Etc.

Quick Reply: My PDK just died again