Sponsored by:

Audio upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 08:50 PM
Dr_Bandaloop
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Boggus
Old Circuit City Roadshop guy here in Texas. Love the work MarkTro.

Kenwood Dmx809S
MTX 4 and 2 channel.
JL dual voice 10"
Focal 8" + 4" + tweet
No rear speakers
and a backup camera

**Don't mind the patches in the frunk!

both of these amp install look clean. How did you mount the amp racks? I’m working on a similar project and keep getting concerned about drilling so close to the fuel tank. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
MarkTro (03-20-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Boggus
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

The OE Bose amp was located in the frunk on metal risers or tabs (factory). I removed the Bose amp and made an amp board to mount to that same location of the Bose amp, so no drilling required and no worries on puncturing anything. If that makes sense.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:59 PM
Dr_Bandaloop
Intermediate

I'll have to take closer look at the original Bose mounts. I originally planned to make a rack that would replace the cover that houses the tire pump and toolset. Got as far as getting the board secured to the nubs on the floor but can't decide how to attach the upper side. I'm using two 4 channel amps, separate left and right, which is completely excessive and oversized, but thought the challenge would be fun. Now wishing I just bought one of those small audison amps... Thanks for your reply
Old 03-21-2024, 05:29 PM
Boggus
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I went through several revisions on amps (from old school 1990's) to the current MTX class D. Its loud and sounds great as it sits now. 4 Channel for the highs (8-4-1 speakers) and 2 Channel bridged to 2ohm single 10. Mounted the Kenwood GPS antenna under the center speaker grill.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:40 PM
Dr_Bandaloop
Intermediate

I'm sure it sounds great. I'm trying to overcome the limits of a convertible and wanted to try a DSP this time around. The minidsp cdsp fits nicely where the cd changed used to be. Still haven't quite sorted out the subwoofer placement though, was thinking a single 10 in a sealed enclosure in the rear driver footwell area. MarkTro, did you also use the factory amp standoff to mount your amp rack?
MarkTro (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 12:15 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Bandaloop
I'm sure it sounds great. I'm trying to overcome the limits of a convertible and wanted to try a DSP this time around. The minidsp cdsp fits nicely where the cd changed used to be. Still haven't quite sorted out the subwoofer placement though, was thinking a single 10 in a sealed enclosure in the rear driver footwell area. MarkTro, did you also use the factory amp standoff to mount your amp rack?
I did not. I actually drilled my own holes and used nutserts so I could use machine screws to mount the rack. It was tedious but doable.

Happy to help if you have questions.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:40 PM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

Here is my setup.

Mosconi amps (240.2 bridged for sub) (240.2 for 2 bass) (120.4 for mids and tweets) Mounted on a panel that sits at the bottom of the frunk. Covered with stock frunk panel so you don't see it when covered.
Helix DSP3 fed from stock PCM 3.0 that has been set to Sound Package plus. Custom wiring harness made to send line level signal for FR, FL, RR and RL from PCM to DSP.
Scanspeak Mids and tweeters
Dynaudio bass
Infinity sub in custom box in space of removed rear seats

Last edited by PapaC4S; 03-25-2024 at 05:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PapaC4S:
Boggus (03-25-2024), MarkTro (03-26-2024), Rig.Stunts (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 08:47 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Originally Posted by PapaC4S
Here is my setup.

Mosconi amps (240.2 bridged for sub) (240.2 for 2 bass) (120.4 for mids and tweets) Mounted on a panel that sits at the bottom of the frunk. Covered with stock frunk panel so you don't see it when covered.
Helix DSP3 fed from stock PCM 3.0 that has been set to Sound Package plus. Custom wiring harness made to send line level signal for FR, FL, RR and RL from PCM to DSP.
Dynaudio bass

I LOVE this! So cool and great work.

Do you have any more pics of the custom sub enclosure? Did you make it or have it made? What is it made out of? I'm about to start my fiberglass enclosures in the same place and would love to see options of what you did.

Great job!
Old 03-26-2024, 09:33 AM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Thanks. Here are some more pictures. I made it out of Baltic birch. 10" sub facing down behind the driver. Hinged cover over storage compartment on passenger side. It is held in place with brackets that bolt into the seatbelt attachment points.

The following 2 users liked this post by PapaC4S:
MarkTro (03-26-2024), Rig.Stunts (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 09:55 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Thanks. Here are some more pictures. I made it out of Baltic birch. 10" sub facing down behind the driver. Hinged cover over storage compartment on passenger side. It is held in place with brackets that bolt into the seatbelt attachment points.

This is GREAT work! Really cool idea to add the storage too.

My plan was two 10" subs, but I do like the storage idea. How is the bass? I was going to up fire them with the seats down, so they would be firing into the seats that are folded down. I thought that would essentially do the same thing as dowqfiring, and would allow me to have a bit more in the way of cubic area inside the enclosure as I would not need the stand off.

However, I would LOVE to hear what type of experience you have with yours. How much power are you running into the sub as well?

Thanks, this is so cool to talk about this stuff again!
Old 03-26-2024, 10:14 AM
PapaC4S
Instructor

The Mosconi amp puts out 680 watts to the sub. It is a lot of bass. I have the entire interior covered in sound damping butyl tiles as well as mass loaded vinyl so it is pretty quiet to start. The sub only needed a 0.6 cubic feet box so pretty small enclosure. I can't imagine needing 2 subs. I have 8 inch Dynaudio drivers in the doors with 240 watts each so drive pretty hard down to 50-60HZ, the bass is fairly distributed.
MarkTro (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 01:12 PM
MarkTro
Instructor

The Mosconi amp puts out 680 watts to the sub. It is a lot of bass. I have the entire interior covered in sound damping butyl tiles as well as mass loaded vinyl so it is pretty quiet to start. The sub only needed a 0.6 cubic feet box so pretty small enclosure. I can't imagine needing 2 subs. I have 8 inch Dynaudio drivers in the doors with 240 watts each so drive pretty hard down to 50-60HZ, the bass is fairly distributed.
Great info, thanks. I sound damped the doors but have not done the rest of the car. I kept going back and forth on how quiet I wanted it to be. I also only have 6" Focals in the doors. They aren't bad, but definitely don't have the lower end extension. You definitely have me thinking....

Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:42 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Here is my setup.

Dynaudio bass

BTW, I don’t think you’ve said what car you have. What year and model is yours?
Old 03-27-2024, 10:42 AM
PapaC4S
Instructor

Car is a 2011 C4S coupe
MarkTro (03-27-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 07:00 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

What did you use for the brackets to fasten it to the seat belts? Did you manufacture something or use something off the shelf? Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Audio upgrades