Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC sport controller lust

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 03:59 PM
Fatsix
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 83 Posts

I suggest to just buy your DSC from Tom directly. He has put his heart into perfecting the product for over a decade. We should support him so he continues making more products for us. I truly believe the DSC is the product that has the biggest bang for the buck with the easiest install.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fatsix:
jlert (04-04-2024), Liste-Renn (Yesterday), Rig.Stunts (04-21-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 04:30 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts
Default This Is What I Lust For

2011 GT3 RS 4.0
The following 2 users liked this post by campbesl:
Spike Speakus (04-22-2023), TerrestrialFlyte (04-21-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 05:08 PM
saxonite
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just order it. It's the single best upgrade you can make for this car. I would order this before exhaust or anything else. I waited 2 years after buying mine to get it and after getting it, I should have ordered it when I first bought the car. The car has a smoother, more comfortable ride around town then when pushing the car, the handling is better.
Old 04-20-2023, 01:11 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

Is there a good way to add all of this if you don’t have pasm? 997.2 base here.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:57 AM
leeked
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts
Anything is possible with the proper application of cash, but I can't imagine it's worth it for the work involved and I've never heard of anyone doing it.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:20 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

They do sell a wiring harness to retrofit non pasm cars but yea, it doesn’t seem cost effective l unless money is no object.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:43 AM
BeeBurr
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Alright I’ll take ☝️

Originally Posted by Fatsix
I suggest to just buy your DSC from Tom directly. He has put his heart into perfecting the product for over a decade. We should support him so he continues making more products for us. I truly believe the DSC is the product that has the biggest bang for the buck with the easiest install.
Wow, these are pretty strong recommendations. I too have been lurking around the various sales sites hoping for one to pop up. But I guess the steering wheel swap will have to wait.
Can I ask if the tuning cable necessary, have any of you used yours or thought that you needed to?
Old 04-20-2023, 11:58 AM
leeked
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BeeBurr
Wow, these are pretty strong recommendations. I too have been lurking around the various sales sites hoping for one to pop up. But I guess the steering wheel swap will have to wait.
Can I ask if the tuning cable necessary, have any of you used yours or thought that you needed to?
The cable is a standard mini-USB cable; if you've already got one for anything else you're good to go and if not you can always get one later someplace else.
The following users liked this post:
BeeBurr (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 05:08 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

Well that will save you $10 if you delete the USB cable, but i was hoping for a larger price reduction.
Old 04-20-2023, 05:55 PM
saxonite
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by leeked
The cable is a standard mini-USB cable; if you've already got one for anything else you're good to go and if not you can always get one later someplace else.
If you're not going to make custom tunes, I don't know if it is needed. I haven't messed with mine at all for the last 2 years since I got it.

Originally Posted by workhurts
You can add a stand alone system but it's better to just get custom coilovers. You already need new coilovers and adding the $2.5k for DSC makes Ohlins or KW V3 cost equivalent or a bargain and can be just as composed on the road.
Old 04-20-2023, 06:28 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomar Shelby
Well that will save you $10 if you delete the USB cable, but i was hoping for a larger price reduction.
$10 = 0.77% of unit cost... Might as well get a cable that is known to work with the controller. USB cables vary a lot.

I recently sold a DSC controller. Big mistake... another one was ordered and will be installed in the car.

Last edited by ADias; 04-20-2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2023, 04:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,056 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
If you have a 997.2 with PASM...best $1200 you can spend.
I know there's been a lot of discussion and rave about the DSC mod but I have to admit I haven't paid close enough attention to understand what's so incredible about it. I don't track my car so how does it add to everyday street driving and occasional spirited back road driving? Just a short summary would be much appreciated.
Old 04-21-2023, 09:12 AM
Spastblast
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I know there's been a lot of discussion and rave about the DSC mod but I have to admit I haven't paid close enough attention to understand what's so incredible about it. I don't track my car so how does it add to everyday street driving and occasional spirited back road driving? Just a short summary would be much appreciated.
The shortest summary would be that it does what the OEM PASM controller was supposed to do (dynamically change damper firmness of each individual corner while driving, based on multiple inputs), but much, much better. From what I understand it really brings PASM's potential to life. Think of PASM as something athletic, that's held back by a dumb brain when using the OEM PASM controller.
Some more info on OEM PASM, DSC and differences can be found here, and many other threads: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-passive.html
Old 04-21-2023, 10:15 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,601 Likes on 962 Posts

Originally Posted by Spastblast
The shortest summary would be that it does what the OEM PASM controller was supposed to do (dynamically change damper firmness of each individual corner while driving, based on multiple inputs), but much, much better. From what I understand it really brings PASM's potential to life. Think of PASM as something athletic, that's held back by a dumb brain when using the OEM PASM controller.
Some more info on OEM PASM, DSC and differences can be found here, and many other threads: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-passive.html
+1 IMO, Porsche just didn't put the time into it and left a ton of opportunity on the table. Maybe they made a derision to not make it great to allow for the next model to be better with the same infrastructure. Who knows? I just know they didn't do a good job and I didn't like the ride... it seemed just not refined as it should have been. The DSC programming is way more sophisticated.

If you want to take it further, DSC has a relationship with Tractive and their shocks react must faster than the Bilstein units in our cars. I never drove on them, but I'll bet they really would take the refinement further.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04-21-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-21-2023, 12:14 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

It makes sense that something like this could be a significant leap forwards in the last 15 years. Think of when Porsche was developing the units for our cars and the compute power available at the time. The advances in compute have been huge. Good point from Bruce that the limiting factor is likely the OE shock's ability to react fast enough. In hopes of making your wait more manageable, I bought & used one for a few months. Install is easy, and it's a pretty low risk "plug and play" that you can revert. I am a very, very small voice in the crowd here in that: yes, I could notice the difference, and yes, it did make the car ride a bit better, but it didn't make the car more "fun" and in fact it made it feel a bit synthetic. When the 997 is one of the last great analog cars, I actually want to move in the opposite direction and make it feel as predictable and analog as possible. DSC (un tuned) was a step in the wrong direction *for me*. I'm not trying to extract lap times. Ironically, DSC may be my easiest path towards linear suspension. I'm toying with the idea of buying another unit and programming it for zero input/reaction to g-force so that in theory it would behave as a non-adaptive system. Also note that I think people's experiences vary widely with DSC based on whether they have PASM or SPASM and how much wear they have on their shocks. It seems it can do a decent job with rehabbing old shocks for a while. My impressions are all on a 20k-mile SPASM car with healthy shocks fwiw.

Oh, final note and this is SUPER ocd. I think DSC should upgrade the case. Their profit on this thing has got to be astronomical. They could afford an OE quality case that felt like it belonged and didn't feel "soft" due to heat when I removed it. Gold flake? Seriously, make it feel at least as solid as the OE part which looks like it was built to last the life of the car.

Quick Reply: DSC sport controller lust