Sponsored by:

997Turbo/GT2 vs. 430 Modena

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 09:46 AM
997GT2
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997Turbo/GT2 vs. 430 Modena

What will be a better car what do you think Porsche again or will be ferrari win or lamborghini gallardo gt(when audi dont stop that), look at the best motoring videos porsche kick in ferrari asses all the time what do you think about the next generation
Old 05-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

The 997 Turbo for sure! It always is. The Gallardo will naturally be better than everyone else, but we've yet to see how well they stay together in the long run.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:23 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

On the road , you'll lose your license driving a Toyota Corolla near it's limits , so it really doesn't matter , since all these street cars have to run different set ups to last on a track - then they aren't "stock" anymore. Plus , except for magazine comparos and casual track days, they never run against each other in anger anyway unless you count freeway off ramp grands prix for which an older American rust bucket with big motor and nitrous may win anyway . Always best to buy the car that YOU like best .
Old 05-16-2004, 07:22 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

"On the road , you'll lose your license driving a Toyota Corolla near it's limits , so it really doesn't matter , since all these street cars have to run different set ups to last on a track - then they aren't "stock" anymore. Plus , except for magazine comparos and casual track days, they never run against each other in anger anyway unless you count freeway off ramp grands prix for which an older American rust bucket with big motor and nitrous may win anyway . Always best to buy the car that YOU like best ."

Nice try, MKW - great post, dead on right IMO, but no one ever seems to pay attention to these truths. Most people have to have the best car. If your car tested better, argue the numbers. If your car lost the straight line test, argue the lap time, or skid pad grip, etc. If your car lost the test in one magazine, argue that another magazine's test - the test your car won -is better. If your car loses all the tests, argue design, heritage, gas mileage, trunk space, anything.

If you own a GT2 and DON'T think it's better than my Ferrari, I feel sorry for you because for GT2 money you could have had either marque.

Cheers.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:03 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by wch

If you own a GT2 and DON'T think it's better than my Ferrari, I feel sorry for you because for GT2 money you could have had either marque.

Cheers.
Too bad the GT2 stomps both your Ferraris for less money (albeit if only a little). That's not even starting in on the embarassing issues of maintenance, durability/reliability, or the fact that the GT3 will hang with them both for half the price. Ferrari has become a car that succeedes based upon looks and the snob factor of low production and exclusivity, it's a damn shame.

Typical occurances:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=134357
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=134305
Old 05-17-2004, 10:16 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I guess you are a magazine racer. The GT2 and GT3 are tremendous cars; if I were to buy a late model Porsche, those are the only ones I'd consider.

I've had several Ferraris, including the 360 Challenge, and not had any significant problems - not that I'd claim Ferrari reliability is in the same league as that of Porsche. Relative lap times of different cars at club events is down to relative driver skill more than anything else - if you bring a GT3 and I bring a Stradale, and I "stomp" you, does that prove anything? And poor Weng clearly had a miserable time at the track, but with even a tiny bit of help things could have gone better. I've been to a number of Ferrari Club events where a good time was had by all.

Relax ... and, as MKW said - buy what you like. I did. Ferrari will survive without you.

Cheers, Will
Old 05-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Advanced

brh986

It always seems you have an axe to grind with almost every car out there. Have you ever owned a recent Ferrari or at least driven one for a long period of time? Or are you just refering to posts ,stories and hearsay? With those cars it all comes down to the driver and it is my firm believe that your bashing skills far exceed your driving abilities.
In capable hands on the 14mile Ring the Gt2,3,RS , Stradale, M3Csl and Gallardo are all within a few seconds of each other and I hardly could call that "stomping".
Old 05-31-2004, 02:54 AM
brh986
Burning Brakes

I think where the stomping comes in is in price, maintenance costs, and reliability. It's absolutely pathetic. Ferraris are an absolute disgrace in that respect and it's a shame.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:42 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

This wknd. i went with my b-in-law to a ferrrari dealership in T.O., these are sweet cars, i even saw the sciagallati (most definitely spelled wrong) and the masserati quattraporte (I know these are not suppose to be out for a while), they all look great, my wify loved the 360 modena, as soon as I payoff my 03 c4s i just may get a ferrari. I never was a ferrari guy, i even told my b-in-law that if i have the money i'll buy a GT2, but i think i've got the ferrari flu, i am thinking about it as i usually do a porsche, hmmm. C4S and a modena would look lovely in my garage.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:27 PM
$$$uperRich$$$
4th Gear

Hey, don't tease us magazine racers.

Its all some of us have, despite what our
usernames may suggest.

I am really curious to see how the turbo will turn out,
the spy shots show a huge gash/intake on the front end of the rear
fender. I gotta se how it turns out.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:24 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally posted by $$$uperRich$$$
Hey, don't tease us magazine racers.

Its all some of us have, despite what our
usernames may suggest.

I am really curious to see how the turbo will turn out,
the spy shots show a huge gash/intake on the front end of the rear
fender. I gotta se how it turns out.
dude i spent 32 years as a magazine racer. got my first "real" job and some bozo at a porsche dealer told me "if you sign here you can take this little dalring home"....I was like "and you are sure the police ain't going to come after me?"

your p-car is out there superrich you just haven't met her yet!
Old 06-01-2004, 01:38 AM
Advanced

Why would you characerize a employee who is trying to make a living and someday might be as sucessful as you a bozo?
Old 06-01-2004, 11:59 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally posted by 1988952
Why would you characerize a employee who is trying to make a living and someday might be as sucessful as you a bozo?
um...i was joking...i thought the context and colloquial manner of my speach made that clear.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:02 AM
$$$uperRich$$$
4th Gear

Smile

jbdmd,
I thought it was pretty obvious you were just
joking around

and as car-less as I am now, I know my day will come
unless I get a lotus elan first.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Porsche is soaring up the price curve again. Their next "best" production car (call it the 997 GT2) will be priced close to a Murcielago (the last Lambo) and their next "entry level" Carrera (again, a production car) will be far under anything from Lambo or Ferrari or even the Ford GT. I think these competitors have ignored price point as a competitive angle and Porsche has stood their ground with "best" cars that are also significantly cheaper. Apples to apples, the 996 Turbo X50 might be close in dollars to a Gallardo, but there the comparison ends. The buyers are two very different people. Of course, if the Gallardo has good insurance rates, reasonable practicality (nope and nope) plus resale and reliability (double nope again,) it could itch the backside of Porsche sales. While the cash outlay might be similar, the two buyers couldn't be less similar and then there's the Conti GT buyer or the buyer that just can't spend enough on a Japanese car or the performance American muscle buyer.

Until Ferrari decides to match Porsche on durability and dependability (they've made a start with the Modena and Maranello) or Porsche finds sex to match Ferrari, there's not much cause to consider a toe to toe market competition. VW will surely encroach on Porsche sales with their product overlap and their suggestion of new products from auto show "prototypes" but these cycles take years to produce new cars.

Quick Reply: 997Turbo/GT2 vs. 430 Modena