RPM Technik carbon fiber ducktail

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 10:47 AM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RPM Technik carbon fiber ducktail

Hi all,

I've been going back and forth on purchasing a ducktail for my 997.1 c4s for a while now and landed on a RPM technik carbon fiber ducktail. After seeing the CSR 997 videos and seeing how they were made, I thought they would be the best choice. I also had plans of doing a special paint scheme on the ducktail having parts of the carbon exposed and the rest paint to match the car. RPM technik gives you the option of them prepping and clear coating the ducktail or having it unfinished if you were planning on paint it. Since I'm painting parts of it I opted for the unfinished option. I received the ducktail yesterday and while inspecting it, I noticed some markings that look like spider cracks or blemishes. I posted and looked to get some opinions on 2 porsche facebook groups but thought I'd see what the fine people of this forum thought. Some people are saying it is not normal and others who have made and dealt with carbon pieces from aircrafts says its normal and should go away during the prepping portion of the painting. I'm not a carbon fiber expert and have only dealt with finished and clear coated carbon parts but from what some people are saying, there's a process where they vacuum bag it and sometimes that process could leave marks after. I've reached out to RPM technik via email but haven't heard from them yet. So does anyone have experience with unpainted and prepped carbon fiber parts? Is this normal?

Old 03-09-2023, 01:42 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 390 Posts

That is terrible workmanship. Now dont get me wrong. I'm not saying all Techniks parts are like that but that particular item needs to go back. No way should it look like that. If the topside looks fine I guess you could have the underside painted all black.
I do like their design though.

Last edited by Khloesdad; 03-09-2023 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:22 PM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts

Oh wow that’s concerning I placed an order a while back and mine is due at the end of may. I’m hoping they make it right because this is a pretty pricey price of kit

keep us posted on what RPM says
Old 03-09-2023, 03:51 PM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
That is terrible workmanship. Now dont get me wrong. I'm not saying all Techniks parts are like that but that particular item needs to go back. No way should it look like that. If the topside looks fine I guess you could have the underside painted all black.
I do like their design though.
Well the problem is, I was going to have the bottom just clear coated so that when you did open the lid you would see the carbon fiber.

Originally Posted by 9elvn
Oh wow that’s concerning I placed an order a while back and mine is due at the end of may. I’m hoping they make it right because this is a pretty pricey price of kit

keep us posted on what RPM says
Will do. Who did you work with at RPM technik? Was it Simon? I had emailed him right away last night when I got the part but haven't heard from him. I ended up DM'ing them on instagram and got a response right away. They said they will look at it tomorrow and respond to my email. Honestly the packaging for this was pretty janky too. It was just wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a box. whats weird is that only the bottom side has these marks. Even if it was dropped, the 1st points of contact are the corners. It would have to have been something specifically hitting those spots for this to happen.

I'm also hoping its just superficial blemishes and can be buffed out.......
Old 03-09-2023, 03:55 PM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes I worked with Simon as well. That’s good to hear they responded quickly.

I ordered an unfinished one as well and was planning on just clearing the underside and the cut outs on top to leave the exposed CF look

is there a gel coat? Hopefully it can be wet sanded and restored
Old 03-09-2023, 03:59 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Those look like cracks in the clear.
Old 03-09-2023, 04:06 PM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Originally Posted by 9elvn
Yes I worked with Simon as well. That’s good to hear they responded quickly.

I ordered an unfinished one as well and was planning on just clearing the underside and the cut outs on top to leave the exposed CF look

is there a gel coat? Hopefully it can be wet sanded and restored
My plan was exactly the same plus possibly leaving a strip on of carbon on the lip lol. They responded to my Instagram DM but not to my email. I emailed them last night which gave them a whole day to respond.

Not entirely sure if there is a gel coat. Would you be able to feel it? I literally took it out for a second last night before dinner to inspect it and saw the cracks, took pictures and wrapped it back up into the box because I was so annoyed. I'll take it out again tonight to take some better pictures and videos.

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
Those look like cracks in the clear.
When you say clear do you mean the poly? The ducktail was never prepped or clear coated since I was planning on painting portions of it so they sent it untreated.
Old 03-09-2023, 04:19 PM
othertbone
Pro

Received 320 Likes on 209 Posts

That doesn't look right at all. I wouldn't worry too much until you hear from the manufacturer. If it's wrong they should ship you out a new one asap. if they have a good reputation then there should be nothing to worry about.

Old 03-09-2023, 04:22 PM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Originally Posted by othertbone
That doesn't look right at all. I wouldn't worry too much until you hear from the manufacturer. If it's wrong they should ship you out a new one asap. if they have a good reputation then there should be nothing to worry about.
The problem is they're made to order and I waited 6 months for this thing to arrive. RPM Technik from my understanding is a pretty well known shop out in UK so I really do hope they make this right. Just sucks I might have to wait another 6 months if thats the case.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:07 PM
othertbone
Pro

Received 320 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by seoulshakers
The problem is they're made to order and I waited 6 months for this thing to arrive. RPM Technik from my understanding is a pretty well known shop out in UK so I really do hope they make this right. Just sucks I might have to wait another 6 months if thats the case.

You never know my friend, they may just send you a new one in a few weeks.

My philosophy in life is not to worry until there is actually something to worry about. It may work out easy since they are a reputable company and you just stressed about nothing.

There will be plenty of time to worry in a worst case scenario, but you could be stressing right now for nothing.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:11 PM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Originally Posted by othertbone
You never know my friend, they may just send you a new one in a few weeks.

My philosophy in life is not to worry until there is actually something to worry about. It may work out easy since they are a reputable company and you just stressed about nothing.

There will be plenty of time to worry in a worst case scenario, but you could be stressing right now for nothing.
Dang feel like I'm talking to Phil Jackson right. Thank you Zen Master, for calming my *** down lol. But in all seriousness I'm annoyed but trying my best to think positively. Thanks for this though.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:34 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

I see what you mean. Its raw carbon. My mistake.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:17 PM
seoulshakers
Instructor

I had to cut down the video in order to post it but yeah the quality control is looking very disappointing on this.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.MOV (17.43 MB, 23 views)
Old 03-09-2023, 09:25 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

I hope they make it good. Its a very sharp Duck tail.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

The look is flvwey nice but the quality looks like made in China off of eBay stuff. They need to send you a new one that's packed properly for international shipment.

Quick Reply: RPM Technik carbon fiber ducktail