Sponsored by:

Valuation of rebuilt title 997

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 06:12 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
“Rebuilt title in TN atleast means that it was a previously salvaged title car that has been repaired and has met all safety regulations and is legally able to be driven just like a clean title car”.

I am under the impression that there is no actual inspection of the car in Tennessee, but just pictures of before and after, along with receipts. Most salvage inspections are nothing to do with safety or workmanship, but lean towards finding stolen parts.

Selling a car with a rebuilt salvage title narrows the buyer field, selling a Porsche 997 with a rebuilt salvage title narrows it down lots more. Not trying to be difficult, just realistic. I own 8 salvage title cars, and they are all nice, but difficult to sell, people are scared of them.
Yes, i get it. The thing is, i never bought this car with the intention of selling it. I may sell it one day, but for now have no plans to let it go. Tennessee reserves the right to inspect the vehicle, but you are right. My car did not get inspected, but the pictures that were submitted show the car fully repaired and with detailed images. I was really surprised at how quickly the whole process took. I sent off my paperwork with all my receipts and pictures, etc on a Monday to Nashville, and i had my final paperwork back to my house on a friday. I then went to the DMV and paid my taxes and registration fee. I then got the title in the mail the following friday. I was just curious on what others in the community thought as to what the value is. The thing that really sparked my interest is an 06 911S that was posted on FB marketplace with basically the same mileage as mine with a rebuilt title. the only difference being a GT3 front end and GT3 rear decklid that was posted for $45k. I felt maybe it may be a little high on price, but just wasnt sure. I asked the seller to let me know what it actually sells for, and they told me they would. I just noticed that the car is pending sale, so maybe it IS worth that to someone?
For those wondering. After purchase, copart fees, brokerage fees, all repair parts, paint and state taxes of 7%, i am in the car for just over $33k. That, obviously does not include my labor. I think i did ok. When i go to meets, etc, no one knows that its a rebuilt title car, and like i said earlier, its nicer than most 997s that i have seen locally.

I plan to one day buy another rebuildable Porsche. There are several Utube content creators that have done GT3s, GT4s, etc. Someone has to be buying those cars afterward. If you are into that kind of thing. there is a guy named Mat Armstrong that is doing a GT3RS build right now on a car that was wrecked up at the Tail of the Dragon a few months ago. I can watch those kind of videos for hours, which gave me the motivation to do this rebuild. Maybe you will see me on youtube one day creating content like those guys currently doing it.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:00 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

I would do the same thing as you did, if you are going to enjoy it and drive it don’t worry. The price of salvage cars is absurd now a day. It used to be about 20% of the book value of the car or so, now, if you have me the parts with the car to fix it, it still may mot be worth it. Parts are non existent, and the ones they are out there are most of the time not much less expensive than a new part.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:12 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

One salvage one not. Both manual cars
the white one is asking $29,995

Last edited by cdk4219; 02-13-2023 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:39 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

I purchased my wife's 2008 Mercedes E320 CDI Diesel last year - Has 80K miles w/ Rebuilt title. Was hit in the rear and owner bought it back from insurance company and had it repaired at high end shop.
w/80K miles these CDI engines are the most reliable made and are considered Virgins at 80K miles. Market would be $12K if clean Title. I paid $5000. Very clean and excellent repair/paint.
Probably never selling it.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:33 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

I used to have an 05 e55 AMG. It put 620hp down to the wheels. All renntech goodies. Love the old E class Mercedes. Super reliable cars once you factor out the air suspension.

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I purchased my wife's 2008 Mercedes E320 CDI Diesel last year - Has 80K miles w/ Rebuilt title. Was hit in the rear and owner bought it back from insurance company and had it repaired at high end shop.
w/80K miles these CDI engines are the most reliable made and are considered Virgins at 80K miles. Market would be $12K if clean Title. I paid $5000. Very clean and excellent repair/paint.
Probably never selling it.

The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 09:08 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

The only issues with Mercedes Benz Diesels are the Transmissions. They were not designed tough enough to withstand the super high miles 300K+ that these Diesels can easily attain.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:51 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

With documentation of the restoration being acceptable, and subsequent trouble free miles, a discount of minimum 15 to maximum 30 percent off a comparable car would work for me.

The resale value will never be there, but you've done well at 27% off market value already!

Nice work

Quick Reply: Valuation of rebuilt title 997