Sponsored by:

PCCM+ DIY Guide

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 04:25 PM
othertbone
Pro

Received 322 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by sdharmani
@othertbone - I would order the latest version they have. When I bought it, it was version 3.0.

CarPlay reboots every now & then. It used to happen with wired connection too - so I am not 100% certain if it is wireless adapter issue. I think it is PCCM+ firmware issue
Originally Posted by jalvani
Sure. I bought the latest: this one. Works great. There are so many flavors though, and each one has a slightly different UI and maybe some additional features (eg. Native Netflix/YT or enabling screen mirroring). This one is pretty barebones but it works reliably. My Mom has the 3.0 version in her Q3 for the past few years and is happy with it.

Aaaah, thank you. I didn't realize location was dependent on cab/coupe.

Bought the Carlinkit 5.0 and it works perfectly, so convenient!

Thank you again guys

Old 11-24-2023, 11:18 AM
grom92
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello,

I installed a pccm+ in my 997.1 everything works perfectly I'm now trying to installed the rear camera, I'm waiting for the faker cable, and I would like to know and understand "the PIN 6" thing, I plugged the + and the ground of the camera directly to the rear light, is that not enough?? do I still have to use the pin 6 ???and how to plug it?
thank you so much
Old 11-26-2023, 11:25 AM
grom92
8th Gear

here we are 😁😁😁✔️

Last edited by grom92; 11-26-2023 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:06 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't get this to work. I'm trying to do Option 1.
The trigger wire in the rear is tied into the 12V from the reverse light (black/blue wire, measures 11.1V). It's connected up front to pin 6.
I also have pins 9 and 10 connected to camera GND and video.
What am I missing?

Old 01-12-2024, 07:08 AM
grom92
8th Gear

Originally Posted by MagnusB
The trigger wire in the rear is tied into the 12V from the reverse light (black/blue wire, measures 11.1V). It's connected up front to pin 6.
What am I missing?

I didn't use the pin 9 and 10 I bough an adapter fakra/rca way musher easier, you need to check in the menu (hidden menu) that the camera is detected
Old 01-12-2024, 11:01 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

What am I missing?

Pin 6 has to be hot before you go through the auto config from what I have read. I am gathering the parts for my install now.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:00 PM
DO997
4th Gear

I also tried pins 9 and 10 which didn't work. Instead, I connected the 12v power to the same reverse light wire in the back and then found a suitable ground (i used one up front near the fuse box). Once connected, go into the Auto configure of PCCM+ so the camera can be detected. After that you should be good to go.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:48 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Pin 6 measures 11.73V with the car in reverse so that's working.
I go into the PCCM+ setup and it still doesn't detect the camera.

Last edited by MagnusB; 01-12-2024 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:52 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Originally Posted by DO997
I also tried pins 9 and 10 which didn't work. Instead, I connected the 12v power to the same reverse light wire in the back and then found a suitable ground (i used one up front near the fuse box). Once connected, go into the Auto configure of PCCM+ so the camera can be detected. After that you should be good to go.
Not sure what you mean by pin 9&10 not working? Those are the pins for the video camera signal, CAMERA GND and CAMERA VIDEO IN.
Did you really run a separate ground from the back to the front to connect near fuse box? Don't understand how that would make a difference anyway. It's for powering the camera in the back and 12V is 12V.
Maybe you did Option 2?

Last edited by MagnusB; 01-12-2024 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 05:00 AM
Takeyourpills
6th Gear

Originally Posted by svandamme
ik get occasional thump sounds. Like a bass. Like running over something..
Totally random. I think its a signals glitch on the most to the ASK AMP
I had the same occasional thumps on my most recent 2 drives. I also noticed that about every second time it happened, the whole bottom end of the sound seemed to disappear, and about every other time it thumped, the bass came back! Thinking about what could be causing this, I had a look at how the speakers are powered. In the case of my 997.1 C4S with what was called ‘Sound Plus’ in the U.K. The rears, front mid-range in the doors and front tweeters in the dash are all powered directly from the head unit. The front bass drivers in the doors, as well as the centre speaker in the dash, are powered from an ASK amp that’s located in the frunk (not in the storage space, but in a compartment near the battery). I refrain from simply calling this the ‘ASK amp’ setup, as I believe there were multiple configurations across different world markets that used ASK amps.

Approximate diagram of the ‘Sound Plus’ setup. I saved this image a while ago from someone else’s post - likely on here somewhere.

What I think is happening is that the ASK amp is intermittently turning on/off (and doing it crudely, hence sending a thump through the speakers).This would mean my bass drivers are only being powered intermittently - hence the disappearance and then return of the bass in association with the thumps. Unfortunately, this did’t occur to me until a while after my most recent drive, as I could have confirmed this by also listening to see if the centre speaker also disappeared with the bass.

The car is currently in a shipping container on its way to Australia at the moment, so I’m going to have to wait a few months before I can revisit this, but I’m pretty sure I’m on to something with this. I’d say the likely root cause is a poor connection or signal between the PCCM+ and the ASK amp on the AMP control line (“Hey, amplifier, this is the head unit, would you mind turning on please?”).

I am also one of the people who have observed a light hiss / white noise coming through the speaker, that is independent of volume level or whether mute is on/off. Thinking back to when I was in the car, it took a couple of seconds for the noise to appear after turning the PCCM+ on. This is about how long it would take for the PCCM+ to turn the amp on…. I’ll have to have a listen next time to see if the noise is coming from all speakers, or just those powered from the amp - basically if it comes from the front door (where there’s a bass driver powered by the amp) but not from the rear (powered directly from the head unit), then this would confirm it.

First thing I’ll do when I’m reunited with the car, is check the connections of the loom that I’ve touched when doing the PCCM+ install, and then also check for good earths on both the PCCM+ and the ASK amp.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2024, 10:26 AM
grom92
8th Gear

Use a Fakra cable, it takes 3s to install only fakra->rca and the pin 6 for the red wire with the fakra camera will be detected right away even if the pin6 isn't plugged, and once you plug it you will have the ivideo.

Last edited by grom92; 02-11-2024 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 04:13 PM
Woodsprite
4th Gear

One bit of information I haven't found anywhere outside the videos is a list of tools you will need for removal and install.

At a minimum you will need:
  • #2 Phillips screwdriver
  • T-20 Torx head (aka Star Drive bits)
  • T-30 Torx head
  • 5mm Allen key (needs to be the "L" shaped variety to fit on the driver's side)
  • 7mm wrench (video said 8mm, but an 8mm just spun on the screw in mine)

Also helpful:
  • Pick for pushing in wire connector tabs
  • Small zip ties (for securing extra wire)
  • Extra lights in each footwell

Last edited by Woodsprite; 02-11-2024 at 04:40 PM. Reason: forgot the wrench
Old 02-12-2024, 03:11 PM
Manatee
1st Gear

Did you get a response re: Pin #6?

I'm trying to define the proper terminal connector. I assume it's a single pin female connector (obviously small).
Old 02-12-2024, 06:23 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Anyone have a link for the proper Fakra cable so I can order one?
Old 02-13-2024, 09:47 AM
grom92
8th Gear

Anyone have a link for the proper Fakra cable so I can order one?

Amazon/google easy

Quick Reply: PCCM+ DIY Guide