Sponsored by:

Automatic headlights in a 997 "hack"

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 04:10 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 227 Posts
Default Automatic headlights in a 997 "hack"

One of the things that bother me is the lack of automatic headlights in my 997.
(Almost) all of my other cars have this feature and I kind-a got used to the convenience. (yeah I know I'm getting lazy)
So, I was wondering if our cars can be equipped with that feature after-market?
Well, there is this solution https://autolightsystems.com/ which has a bit of a steep price: $550
And then I saw this article where someone modded a VW headlight switch https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...vw-switch.html and then sold it as a one-off on a Japanese auction site, which then sold for $280

So I started to wonder if this can be done a bit easier and cheaper.
If you do a search on amazon, you will find sellers who sell you a VW/Audi headlight switch PLUS the electronics for auto-headlights for somewhere between $25 and $35
example:
Amazon Amazon

Q: So would that work?
A: Unfortunately not! Even though the Porsche switch and the VW switch are mechanically and optically (almost) identical, the polarity in both switches is reversed, meaning where the VW switch gives you 12V, the Porsche switch gives you ground.
DISCLAIMER: If you order one and entertain the idea to try "if it works", I guarantee that it won't work and there's even the possibility that you damage the ECU, so don't do it.

Q: Well, could I change the internal wiring in the VW switch to "speak Porsche"
A: short answer: No
Long answer: if you are really skilled in electronics and soldering surface mounted components (SMD) then probably yes, but that's a task I was not willing to take on.

Q: Well, then we're out of luck?
A: No, keep on reading

Basically we need a solution that translates the voltages for headlights, parking lights, front fog lights (for 997.1) and rear fog lights from VW to Porsche (we'll talk about the HOME function later)
And yes, that can be done.

I built a circuit in a small box that plugs between the VW switch + auto headlight module and the Porsche wiring harness

OEM Porsche headlight switch, with the Porsche wiring harness plugged in

from left to right:
VW headlight switch, auto-headlight module (both from amazon), my adapter circuit, Porsche wiring harness
the black cable goes to the light sensor, the green one to +12V (battery)

Optical differences:
The VW switch has orange lighting, while the Porsche switch has white lighting, but that doesn't bother me at all
The VW switch has fake brushed aluminum on the switch itself, which I think corresponds very well with with the fake brushed aluminum on the A/C vents
But if you are a purist and need something that looks 100% OEM, then that's probably the end of the road for you

Porsche headlight switch to the left (mine is from a 997.2, so only one fog light), VW to the right

And here is how the VW switch looks in the car

Q: What about the HOME function?
A: Good question...
In the VW switch, HOME is replaced with AUTO, so I had to find a different solution:
I added a jumper to my circuit, if it's set, HOME is active, otherwise it's not (this is not something you want to change often, set it once and leave it)

Q: Any other differences?
A: Yes, for some mysterious reason the indicator for the front foglight doesn't illuminate in the VW switch (this has nothing to do with my car being a 997.2 - I'm only talking about the indicator, not the fog light itself)
and the VW switch needs 12V from the battery, so I had to pull a wire from the fuse box to the switch (super easy)

Q: How hard is it to install
A: Pretty easy

You pull out the headlight switch like this:
  • set switch to Zero position and push it in
  • while still pushed in turn it halfway to the HOME position and pull it out
Now disconnect the quick connector in the wiring harness
Plug the Porsche wiring harness into my wiring harness, which is plugged into the auto-light module which is plugged into the VW switch, route the 12V wire to the fuse box and (carefully) slide everything back in

Q: So how do I install the light sensor?
A: Open the side panel and pull the sensor to the front of the windshield and tug the cable away between the windshield and the rubber gasket

Q: So how does it work?
A: Pretty good actually, I ran into one "issue" The light sensor is waaaaay to sensitive, meaning it turns the lights on (in my opinion) way too late.
I put a small piece of tinted plastic between the sensor and the windshield and now it's great.
I used one of these stickers that they sell on amazon to dim LEDs in your home devices at night

Q: Fantastic job, but is this again one of your projects where you get everyone excited, but then we can't get it from you?
A: Actually, if there's enough interest from the community I was thinking of producing a small batch of these units. I'm not sure about the price yet, but I'm thinking about somewhere around $125 shipped (in the continental US).
  • You would have to buy the switch / auto headlight combo yourself
  • I'll only supply the box with all the wiring, including the tap for the fuse box.
Generally the switch must have this notch and the connector on the back must look like this:

If you're in doubt if you order the right switch, send me a link and i'll confirm
The following 6 users liked this post by Hatzenbach:
997_flo (02-28-2023), ATX_Native (01-28-2023), Clnilsen (02-28-2023), emjohn43 (02-27-2023), fourthirteen (03-01-2023), jamesinger (01-28-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-28-2023, 05:53 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 785 Likes on 444 Posts

I need to get one where one position turns just the tail/brake lights OFF and another one where it flips the license plate around but both can leave just the fogs on. "Mullholland Lights."
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (09-04-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 08:53 PM
Carfan1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
One of the things that bother me is the lack of automatic headlights in my 997.
(Almost) all of my other cars have this feature and I kind-a got used to the convenience. (yeah I know I'm getting lazy)
So, I was wondering if our cars can be equipped with that feature after-market?
Well, there is this solution https://autolightsystems.com/ which has a bit of a steep price: $550
And then I saw this article where someone modded a VW headlight switch https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...vw-switch.html and then sold it as a one-off on a Japanese auction site, which then sold for $280

So I started to wonder if this can be done a bit easier and cheaper.
If you do a search on amazon, you will find sellers who sell you a VW/Audi headlight switch PLUS the electronics for auto-headlights for somewhere between $25 and $35
example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QNBD8SX...roduct_details

Q: So would that work?
A: Unfortunately not! Even though the Porsche switch and the VW switch are mechanically and optically (almost) identical, the polarity in both switches is reversed, meaning where the VW switch gives you 12V, the Porsche switch gives you ground.
DISCLAIMER: If you order one and entertain the idea to try "if it works", I guarantee that it won't work and there's even the possibility that you damage the ECU, so don't do it.

Q: Well, could I change the internal wiring in the VW switch to "speak Porsche"
A: short answer: No
Long answer: if you are really skilled in electronics and soldering surface mounted components (SMD) then probably yes, but that's a task I was not willing to take on.

Q: Well, then we're out of luck?
A: No, keep on reading

Basically we need a solution that translates the voltages for headlights, parking lights, front fog lights (for 997.1) and rear fog lights from VW to Porsche (we'll talk about the HOME function later)
And yes, that can be done.

I built a circuit in a small box that plugs between the VW switch + auto headlight module and the Porsche wiring harness

OEM Porsche headlight switch, with the Porsche wiring harness plugged in

from left to right:
VW headlight switch, auto-headlight module (both from amazon), my adapter circuit, Porsche wiring harness
the black cable goes to the light sensor, the green one to +12V (battery)

Optical differences:
The VW switch has orange lighting, while the Porsche switch has white lighting, but that doesn't bother me at all
The VW switch has fake brushed aluminum on the switch itself, which I think corresponds very well with with the fake brushed aluminum on the A/C vents
But if you are a purist and need something that looks 100% OEM, then that's probably the end of the road for you

Porsche headlight switch to the left (mine is from a 997.2, so only one fog light), VW to the right

And here is how the VW switch looks in the car

Q: What about the HOME function?
A: Good question...
In the VW switch, HOME is replaced with AUTO, so I had to find a different solution:
I added a jumper to my circuit, if it's set, HOME is active, otherwise it's not (this is not something you want to change often, set it once and leave it)

Q: Any other differences?
A: Yes, for some mysterious reason the indicator for the front foglight doesn't illuminate in the VW switch (this has nothing to do with my car being a 997.2 - I'm only talking about the indicator, not the fog light itself)
and the VW switch needs 12V from the battery, so I had to pull a wire from the fuse box to the switch (super easy)

Q: How hard is it to install
A: Pretty easy

You pull out the headlight switch like this:
  • set switch to Zero position and push it in
  • while still pushed in turn it halfway to the HOME position and pull it out
Now disconnect the quick connector in the wiring harness
Plug the Porsche wiring harness into my wiring harness, which is plugged into the auto-light module which is plugged into the VW switch, route the 12V wire to the fuse box and (carefully) slide everything back in

Q: So how do I install the light sensor?
A: Open the side panel and pull the sensor to the front of the windshield and tug the cable away between the windshield and the rubber gasket

Q: So how does it work?
A: Pretty good actually, I ran into one "issue" The light sensor is waaaaay to sensitive, meaning it turns the lights on (in my opinion) way too late.
I put a small piece of tinted plastic between the sensor and the windshield and now it's great.
I used one of these stickers that they sell on amazon to dim LEDs in your home devices at night

Q: Fantastic job, but is this again one of your projects where you get everyone excited, but then we can't get it from you?
A: Actually, if there's enough interest from the community I was thinking of producing a small batch of these units. I'm not sure about the price yet, but I'm thinking about somewhere around $125 shipped (in the continental US).
  • You would have to buy the switch / auto headlight combo yourself
  • I'll only supply the box with all the wiring, including the tap for the fuse box.
Generally the switch must have this notch and the connector on the back must look like this:

If you're in doubt if you order the right switch, send me a link and i'll confirm
I wish that I had known of your solution. I had this kit installed shortly after I bought my Porsche.
DEI 545T Nite Lite System DEI 545T Nite Lite System
I think it was like $49.00
I came out to the garage one time too many and needed to jump my battery because I absent-mindedly forgot to turn the lights off. Haven't had to worry about that since.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:08 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 421 Posts

Put me down for one if you decide to make them for that price.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:21 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 45 Posts

Pretty snazzy. I’d be interested
Old 01-29-2023, 01:53 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

@ATX_Native and @scottrx7tt
Cool, I think I currently have enough parts left to make 3 or 4 adapters, I'll take a swing at it tomorrow
ATX_Native (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 05:44 AM
Fatsix
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 83 Posts

Count me in
Old 01-29-2023, 09:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 4,125 Posts

Nice work man.

My wife's car has the $2 DRL diode Jack, where it uses her fog lights as DRLs with the switch in the Home position when the car is running. Is this compatible with that winw the Home position is now gone?

My car uses a current sensing DRL module to power the parking lights in my front led number lights so no changes at my headlight switch. I assume this would work without issue in my car?
Old 01-29-2023, 10:02 AM
Jabamusic
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
@ATX_Native and @scottrx7tt
Cool, I think I currently have enough parts left to make 3 or 4 adapters, I'll take a swing at it tomorrow
really interested-will you post to England?
Old 01-29-2023, 02:48 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Nice work man.

My wife's car has the $2 DRL diode Jack, where it uses her fog lights as DRLs with the switch in the Home position when the car is running. Is this compatible with that winw the Home position is now gone?

My car uses a current sensing DRL module to power the parking lights in my front led number lights so no changes at my headlight switch. I assume this would work without issue in my car?
Phew, I *guess* it should work - but I really don't know.
You can order one and if it doesn't work, just send it back and I'll reimburse you

The switch (the one you you buy from amazon) actually can be programmed to turn on the sidemarkers as DRL

Question for you: when you turn on the sidemarkers in a 997.1, what lights actually turn on?
In a 997.2 it's a small light strip inside the DRL
Old 01-29-2023, 02:49 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jabamusic
really interested-will you post to England?
In the price I was factoring in that I have to pay $10 for shipping in the US.
Let me find out what shipping to the England would be. What's your postal code?
Old 01-29-2023, 03:18 PM
Jabamusic
Advanced

BT488JW
😀
Old 02-27-2023, 07:49 PM
Clnilsen
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! I actually have one of these automatic switches in my 2012 Beetle - I was hoping to just drop the same one in my newly acquired 2008 911. Guess not!

I would totally be in for one of these boxes. Sending you a PM!

thanks!
Old 02-28-2023, 03:59 AM
Jabamusic
Advanced

To all those interested, Christopher is a top-notch guy. I know because I got one of these off him and he has been brilliant throughout the whole process of purchasing, shipping, customs and when he discovered a small alteration of the product was required, he got straight onto it and shipped it out to me with it arriving before the main component!!
great guy.
Now, all I need is a spare hour to fit it and then I will report back!!
Hatzenbach (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 11:26 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Paul,
thank you very much for the kind words. I'm just trying to do the right thing here.

OK, all PMs replied to and it looks like my last two units have found potential owners, if there's enough interest I'll make another batch sometime in the future.

and here's a link to the installation manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y99...ew?usp=sharing

Quick Reply: Automatic headlights in a 997 "hack"