Sponsored by:

A $100 3D-printed PDK distance sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 04:16 PM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tony9189
After 15 mounths my T-design distance sensor seems start failue, Error code show P1734 twice...
So many questions... How did you get the T-DESIGN sensor? According to your previous post, T-DESIGN would not export to Taiwan. Who installed the sensor? What car model/year? What PDK calibration procedure was used during installation? How do you use this car? Daily driver? Racing?
Old 03-12-2023, 10:45 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

All this work is very comforting for someone who just bought their first PDK equipped 997.2. I doubt you will have any problem selling a good number of these. I would think many would buy one even if they didn't have a sensor failure.
The following users liked this post:
Spike Speakus (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 02:55 AM
tony9189
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by festina-lente
So many questions... How did you get the T-DESIGN sensor? According to your previous post, T-DESIGN would not export to Taiwan. Who installed the sensor? What car model/year? What PDK calibration procedure was used during installation? How do you use this car? Daily driver? Racing?
1.My friend in US help me to get it, and T-DESIGN said they can't export to Taiwan because of legal issues, but i didn't have any problems during the shipping process.
2.Experience store install.
3.987/2010
4.I believe is PIWIS3 (Clone)
5.Daily driver, about 6-7000 miles per year.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:58 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,539 Likes on 654 Posts

Hi all – I disappeared for about a month for health reasons and wanted to pass along an update on the project and my status. Long story short, the project continues with v2 of the distance sensor prototype on the way to @jjrichar and @stjoh for testing in a 981.1 and 997.2 PDK respectively. We should have new data in about two weeks and hopefully can lock down the design. I’m on the mend and more on that below.

We learned a lot from v1, the biggest finding being that the HE sensor orientation is key to reducing hyper sensitivity and channel to channel cross-talk (due to the curvature of the lines of magnetic flux). This was a bit of a surprise as one of the aftermarket suppliers has a picture on their website showing the HE sensor oriented the same way we had it on v1. Perhaps this photo is misdirection, but if not it does raise some questions regarding the repeatability and reliability of that particular aftermarket sensor. We found the v1 results to be promising but not good enough for a robust design. That is fixed in v2 as we figured out the optimum HE sensor placement.

As to my status, I’m recovering from surgery and some unfortunate complications from the procedure. About four years ago I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer that was treated with chemo and radiation. Things seemed to be good since then but I got a rude surprise in December when what we thought was a routine biopsy on some scar tissue came back positive. After a bunch of tests the recommendation was surgery to remove a significant chunk of my digestive track. I fought it and looked at multiple treatment alternatives but ultimately accepted the recommendation as I was already at my lifetime limit for radiation exposure in that area, and chemo would have likely been only palliative (and not curative) and potentially continuing the rest of my life.

Although the recovery has been slow due to some complications, the doctors are confident they got it all and the pathology report confirms that. I should be cured albeit missing some intestines, I can live with that. If you believe in the power of prayer (as I do), I do humbly ask that you keep my wife, two teenage boys, and me in your prayers. Thanks!

Thanks to @jjrichar and @stjoh for continuing work on the project in my absence and for lots of encouragement. I've been off Rennlist for a month and have lots of catching up to do but more to come on all of this as we work toward making PDK repair truly affordable.
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
irnnr (03-14-2023), keebin (08-30-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 02:18 PM
tony9189
AutoX

Originally Posted by PV997
Hi all – I disappeared for about a month for health reasons and wanted to pass along an update on the project and my status. Long story short, the project continues with v2 of the distance sensor prototype on the way to @jjrichar and @stjoh for testing in a 981.1 and 997.2 PDK respectively. We should have new data in about two weeks and hopefully can lock down the design. I’m on the mend and more on that below.

We learned a lot from v1, the biggest finding being that the HE sensor orientation is key to reducing hyper sensitivity and channel to channel cross-talk (due to the curvature of the lines of magnetic flux). This was a bit of a surprise as one of the aftermarket suppliers has a picture on their website showing the HE sensor oriented the same way we had it on v1. Perhaps this photo is misdirection, but if not it does raise some questions regarding the repeatability and reliability of that particular aftermarket sensor. We found the v1 results to be promising but not good enough for a robust design. That is fixed in v2 as we figured out the optimum HE sensor placement.

As to my status, I’m recovering from surgery and some unfortunate complications from the procedure. About four years ago I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer that was treated with chemo and radiation. Things seemed to be good since then but I got a rude surprise in December when what we thought was a routine biopsy on some scar tissue came back positive. After a bunch of tests the recommendation was surgery to remove a significant chunk of my digestive track. I fought it and looked at multiple treatment alternatives but ultimately accepted the recommendation as I was already at my lifetime limit for radiation exposure in that area, and chemo would have likely been only palliative (and not curative) and potentially continuing the rest of my life.

Although the recovery has been slow due to some complications, the doctors are confident they got it all and the pathology report confirms that. I should be cured albeit missing some intestines, I can live with that. If you believe in the power of prayer (as I do), I do humbly ask that you keep my wife, two teenage boys, and me in your prayers. Thanks!

Thanks to @jjrichar and @stjoh for continuing work on the project in my absence and for lots of encouragement. I've been off Rennlist for a month and have lots of catching up to do but more to come on all of this as we work toward making PDK repair truly affordable.
I pray that you are doing well in every way and have good health.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:21 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,779 Likes on 2,770 Posts

@PV997 Best wishes to you for a full recovery and continued strength along these roads of life.
cbredesen (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 02:43 PM
festina-lente
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

PV, Wishing you a prompt recovery and many more years of engineering prowess.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:11 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 821 Posts

It's good to have you back. The doctors are a lot better these days and, complications or not, I'm happy to hear you're home and getting back to your life.

Best wishes to you and your family, and looking forward to V2.
cbredesen (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 03:45 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 560 Posts

Get Well, sending thoughts and prayers plus other good vibes.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:59 PM
tony9189
AutoX

A few days ago i got error code P1734 twice, it's been three days since i cleared error code and looks no more error until now, i check distance sensor value but i don't know what Gear status is right for diagnosis?
Please give me advice, thanks!

Gear=D

Gear=N

Gear=P
Old 03-17-2023, 07:12 PM
jjrichar
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

A few days ago i got error code P1734 twice, it's been three days since i cleared error code and looks no more error until now, i check distance sensor value but i don't know what Gear status is right for diagnosis?
Please give me advice, thanks!
Can you confirm the last image that is for P is actually for R? If not there is something really terrible going on with gear selection.

If the last image is for R, these all look perfectly OK.

Below is a testing matrix I use of the possible gear selections and the expected outputs. This might help to work out what you should see from a healthy distance sensor. DF is the square wave duty factor output from the distance sensor if you probe with a multimeter. The distance is how this DF is interpreted by the TCU/PIWIS as a distance.

A few notes to this:
- Retract is movement towards the bell housing, extend away.
- If there is no selection on a shift rod (SR) then the DF should be 50% with a corresponding PIWIS DS distance of 0mm.
- The DF and distances are approximate. The actual shift rod movement in the transmission is going to be close to 8.6mm, but depending on the DF output from the distance sensor you may see slight variations. What you show in the images above a perfectly normal. Distances anywhere between 7.0 - 9.5mm I would consider OK. Central position within about 1.5mm of zero.
- In P, gear 1 is selected in the transmission, with no other gear preselected on the other input shaft.
- In R, gear R is selected with no other gear preselected. It's physically impossible to have a another forward gear preselected if R engaged.
- In N, no gears are selected.
- When you select a forward gear, either in D or manual mode, the transmission will preselect another forward gear based on what it thinks it will need next. For 1st, the preselection can only be 2nd. For 7th, the only preselection can be 6th. But for gears 2-6, it can be one of the two gears either side of the one presently selected.

So your top image is good for D. 1st has been selected with 2nd also. Both distance sensor 3 and 4 are showing a distance of approx +8.6mm.
Second image for N is good, with all distances close to zero.
Third image for P is bad, as it's showing that reverse has been selected on DS 4. This is what you would expect if R selected.

If you are getting occasional failures of DS 4 that will go away after turning off car and starting again, this is something that seems to occur as the sensor is beginning to fail. The frequency of these failures will normally increase until it fully fails at some stage. It might be something else that is causing the momentary failure, like a poor plug connection, but most of the time it seems the distance sensor is showing what is eventually going to happen in the long term.

Last edited by jjrichar; 03-17-2023 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:22 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

As a new owner of a 2012 C4 GTS and first time 911 owner I am keeping a close eye on this thread for obvious reasons and put me on any list as a buyer.

Question though, what is the failure rate of the distance sensor and are the failures associated with miles/use?
Old 03-17-2023, 08:40 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by MSGGrunt
...Question though, what is the failure rate of the distance sensor and are the failures associated with miles/use?
See post #931 in the main PDK repair thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18330632

Old 03-18-2023, 12:47 PM
tony9189
AutoX

@jjrichar Really thank you for the detailed instructions, your form explains everything!
I'm sure Imange for P Gear level is P not R and like you said the failures happened at least 7-8 times today, i'm almost sure cause is gear position sensor again.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:03 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,779 Likes on 2,770 Posts

@jjrichar Really thank you for the detailed instructions, your form explains everything!
I'm sure Imange for P Gear level is P not R and like you said the failures happened at least 7-8 times today, i'm almost sure cause is gear position sensor again.
Year, Model, mileage? Just curious.

Quick Reply: A $100 3D-printed PDK distance sensor?