2010/987/about 83000 miles changed sensor until now 90000miles
Old 03-19-2023, 02:29 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,742 Posts

Originally Posted by tony9189
2010/987/about 83000 miles changed sensor until now 90000miles
Thanks, so the first sensor lasted 83000 miles and the first replacement only 7000 miles? I can imagine that you are following this thread with interest!
Old 03-19-2023, 12:56 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,523 Likes on 651 Posts

First off, thanks for the well-wishes guys. I'm feeling quite a bit better the last few days and am actually going to try and mow the lawn today. If that fails, well that's what teenagers are for.

Originally Posted by jjrichar
Can you confirm the last image that is for P is actually for R? If not there is something really terrible going on with gear selection.

If the last image is for R, these all look perfectly OK.
I agree there is something odd going on here as that third screen shot seems to indicate the TCU is engaging the wrong shift fork (DS4 rather than DS3). However, the failure is also P1734 (emphasis on the last digit) which indicates that the TCU thinks DS4 is giving a bad reading. That's consistent with screen shot 3 which shows as DS4 is seemingly in the wrong position.

So something funny is going on here but it's not clear what. Either the TCU is seemingly commanding the wrong shift fork or DS4 is *intermittently* giving a bad reading (intermittent since DS4 looks okay in screen shots 1 and 2). However, there is something else odd going on in screen shot 3. DS 3 should be showing engaged since the PDK is in park and the TCU configures that as being in first with the clutch disengaged (different from neutral as jjrichar shows in his table). Yet it's not doing this.

When you measured screen shot 3 what was the last gear selected before Park? Was it Reverse or Drive? Maybe the TCU is anticipating going in Reverse for some reason.

Have you tried repeating this a few times and see what you get? You might also try going from reverse to park and from drive to park and see if they give different configurations. Also you might try measuring this with the engine off and in park but the key turned on. I'd check all of these configs a few times to see if you get repeatable results.

We need to understand if screen shot 3 is being commanded that way for some reason, or if it's a bad reading from the distance sensor. Best way I can think of to do that is to repeat it several times using a variety of configurations and see if it changes.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:21 PM
tony9189
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@PV997 Glad you feel better!
I will try your suggestion.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:25 PM
tony9189
AutoX

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Thanks, so the first sensor lasted 83000 miles and the first replacement only 7000 miles? I can imagine that you are following this thread with interest!
Yup, there is a lot of amazing information on this thread, thanks to those who are willing to share.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:30 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 287 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by festina-lente
So many questions... How did you get the T-DESIGN sensor? According to your previous post, T-DESIGN would not export to Taiwan.
Skipped a few weeks and boom - another strange story about T-Design I guess any PR is good PR... But honestly we work with 6 repair shops in Taiwan, all of which are very successful at repairing PDK.
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old 03-19-2023, 11:36 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 287 Likes on 184 Posts

After 15 mounths my T-design distance sensor seems start failue, Error code show P1734 twice...
I don't think it's the right thread for this, but who exactly bought and installed your sensor? Is it our sensor? What is the serial number? We have a lifetime replacement warranty on our sensors, all our partners and customers know that. Yet strangely nobody contacted us. Posting on a forum instead... Hmmm...
Old 03-20-2023, 12:16 AM
tony9189
AutoX

Originally Posted by t-design
I don't think it's the right thread for this, but who exactly bought and installed your sensor? Is it our sensor? What is the serial number? We have a lifetime replacement warranty on our sensors, all our partners and customers know that. Yet strangely nobody contacted us. Posting on a forum instead... Hmmm...
Thank you for your proactive contact.
First of all, I don't have any malice, because I am in Taiwan, at that time you said that it could not be sent to Taiwan because of some legal issues ( you didn't mentioned you have work with 6 repair shops in Taiwan), so I asked a friend in the US to help me buy it and then send it to Taiwan,then an experienced shop install it according to the instructions on your web, someone doubts "It might not even be the sensor itself. Depending on how the wires were soldered to the existing harness there might be wire rubbing that is causing the issue" , i also feel that way.
In the end, your company's products are pioneers in this area and have helped many people. I admire them very much.

Last edited by tony9189; 03-20-2023 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:38 AM
tony9189
AutoX

Originally Posted by PV997
First off, thanks for the well-wishes guys. I'm feeling quite a bit better the last few days and am actually going to try and mow the lawn today. If that fails, well that's what teenagers are for.
When you measured screen shot 3 what was the last gear selected before Park? Was it Reverse or Drive? Maybe the TCU is anticipating going in Reverse for some reason.

Have you tried repeating this a few times and see what you get? You might also try going from reverse to park and from drive to park and see if they give different configurations. Also you might try measuring this with the engine off and in park but the key turned on. I'd check all of these configs a few times to see if you get repeatable results.

We need to understand if screen shot 3 is being commanded that way for some reason, or if it's a bad reading from the distance sensor. Best way I can think of to do that is to repeat it several times using a variety of configurations and see if it changes.
@PV997
Today did a quick test, no matter how i change gear when engine start or engine off and in park, no noticeable difference like before image, but DS3 value looks like increased to 0.9-1.0** mm.

Additional condition is my first engine start gear can't engage D anr R and there is no error show up, but when i read DME fault code found P1734, i tried clear 3 times still there, at that time i check DS value,
then i restart engine suddenly gear can engage D and R, so i check DS againg, the result is no noticeable difference.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:18 PM
jjrichar
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

@PV997
Today did a quick test, no matter how i change gear when engine start or engine off and in park, no noticeable difference like before image, but DS3 value looks like increased to 0.9-1.0** mm.

Additional condition is my first engine start gear can't engage D anr R and there is no error show up, but when i read DME fault code found P1734, i tried clear 3 times still there, at that time i check DS value,
then i restart engine suddenly gear can engage D and R, so i check DS againg, the result is no noticeable difference.
A couple of things related to these results:

1. From what I've seen the transmission will engage 1st gear when P is selected. The indications you have show it engaging reverse. Unfortunately our experience with the transmission is limited. There may be different TCU software loads that have the transmission engage reverse instead of 1st when P is selected. It's hard to know without more data from different platforms. All the transmissions I've worked on 981 with the latest software load. Having yours work OK with no changes to this reverse indication on DS4 suggest different software loads have it behave quite differently. Others out there with a PIWIS might be able to chime in here with their observations, especially if they have a 9X7 car and still running the original transmission software load. Would be easy to see the DS indications with P selected.

2. I've had the transmission have issues that give codes but not show the error in the instrument cluster. Weird how it does this. It's like it has a momentary fault that it tries to work through itself without giving the inst cluster warning, but still records the problem in the TCU fault list.

3. I wouldn't think much of a small change on DS3. There is a little freeplay in shift rod movement in the central position especially that will show up like this.

4. The fact it's an intermittent problem makes it difficult to diagnose. If a hard fail then it becomes easier. My only suggestion is to remove the rear casing, see if there is any obvious wiring or connection damage that may be causing the issue. It's also possible to move the shift rods and check DS indications in PIWIS. Shift rods 2 and 3 are easy as they are all exposed. SR 4 is possible but a little difficult as this is in the forward part of the transmission. You can see it though. SR 1 is close to impossible due to it being buried all the way up the front. Critical to hold the gears in place using a hose clamp or similar (see my video on distance sensor replacement) to ensure synchos don't separate if you are manually moving the shift rods.

Last edited by jjrichar; 03-20-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:20 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Between the bore scoring and PDK failure potential, I lost my nerve and sold my 997.2 C2S cab several years ago. I since figured out what to do about the bore scoring but I didn't want a manual transmission, so I have been waiting to see if PDK issues would be resolved before buying another Porsche. I'm very happy to see progress being made to resolve the issues.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:26 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
Between the bore scoring and PDK failure potential, I lost my nerve and sold my 997.2 C2S cab several years ago. I since figured out what to do about the bore scoring but I didn't want a manual transmission, so I have been waiting to see if PDK issues would be resolved before buying another Porsche. I'm very happy to see progress being made to resolve the issues.
the 9A1 engine has an EXTREMELY low incidence of scoring, even on these doom and gloom boards... You must be EXTREMELY risk adverse.. 🤯🤯🤯
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (03-21-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 01:48 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cwheeler
the 9A1 engine has an EXTREMELY low incidence of scoring, even on these doom and gloom boards... You must be EXTREMELY risk adverse.. 🤯🤯🤯
Guilty as charged. Comes from many years of mainframe operating system software design and support. Mainframes don't fail... ever! If they do, you better have a dawn good reason for why.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:44 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
Guilty as charged. Comes from many years of mainframe operating system software design and support. Mainframes don't fail... ever! If they do, you better have a dawn good reason for why.
Understood. But don't miss out on doing fun things in life. Driving a 911, to me, is one of those things. **** happens. It's just a car.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:13 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Understood. But don't miss out on doing fun things in life. Driving a 911, to me, is one of those things. **** happens. It's just a car.
Well, I have figured out that a 991 turbo or 991.2 model is even less likely to experience bore scoring. Just out of my price range at present. While I wait, I have a Z4 M40i.

Quick Reply: A $100 3D-printed PDK distance sensor?