Sponsored by:

lexus lc 500 alternative

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 12:41 PM
stripersteve
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default lexus lc 500 alternative

Before everyone jumps all over me , please give me some latitude here....
Has anyone here ever driven one of the newer lexus lc500's , either coupe or convertible ? I happened to be browsing YouTube one day, and a Toyota master mechanic who has a great channel, happened to mention that his favorite car was the Lexus lc500 because of the great v8 engine and the quality of the interior.
After seeing a bunch of YouTube reviews. it seems that this model is quite the car. Concensus is that it is a GT tourer rather than a hard core sports car . Some people talk about it as a competitor to the 911 , but the conclusion seems to be that the 2 cars are designed for different objectives. Lexus for comfortable cruising in a luxurious cockpit with good performance, and Porsche for more spirited driving with better handling , and a true sports car experience.
As I get older ( 75 ) , I must admit that I drive my 911 like an old lady rather than what the car was intended for. My typical use is a nice cruise on a sunny day with the top down, and almost all on highways . Since my state highways are patrolled heavily, there are very few places to even open the car up occasionally.
As a result, I am curious as to whether the Lexus would be a better fit for me in the long run given my driving specifics.
I'm not necessarily looking for a 911 comparison, as I've seen enough reviews outlining the differences, but more of feedback if anyone has actually driven an lc500 to see what your impressions were. Many reviewers seem to indicate it is an exceptional car . This is a limited production model , and there are none locally to look at, but I'm hoping some of you may have had the opportunity to get some hands on experience.
Old 12-21-2022, 12:45 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 421 Posts

If you don’t mind the auto trans or carving corners tightly, the LC500 is hard to beat.

Amazing V8 Soundtrack, Styling and bespokness that is seen in cars 2-3x the cost and Lexus reliability.

Negatives or Positives (depending on how you look at it) is it’s big and heavy, more of a GT car.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:44 PM
ParkerCO997.2
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 33 Posts

I have had the opportunity to drive both the coupe and convertible extensively. Everything you mentioned and have researched is spot on, it is a FANTASTIC GT car! I describe the vehicle as having multiple personalities. When driving in "normal" mode the LC is very smooth, quiet, and comfortable (compared to a 997). I wouldn't hesitate to drive the LC across the country. When in "Sport/Sport+" mode the V8 is very responsive and sounds amazing.

The transmission in "Sport/Sport+" mode is crisp and it will hold gears while in "manual" mode until you decide to shift using the paddles.

I agree it is not a competitor to the 911 but an alternative vehicle that I'd be happy to own along side my 997.2 MT.

If you are seriously looking, you'll find them online and many Lexus dealers have LCert vehicles that carry a very comprehensive unlimited mileage warranty far beyond the expiration of the factory warranty.

Scott
The following users liked this post:
sbaro (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 01:57 PM
ash_schwin
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 177 Posts

The last car I owned was a Lexus GSF with the same 5.0L V8 engine as the LC500. Phenomenal sound especially with a good exhaust setup and great for a GT car. Styling is subjective, but I am personally not a big fan of the body style.
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 02:40 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 150 Posts

A friend has one and loves it, had the opportunity to do a short drive myself. The build quality is about as good as you will get at any price. It's powerful but not blow you away fast. It handles well but not 911 well. It's well executed inside and out. If you like the looks of it and don't mind losing some of the rawness of a 997, it's an amazing choice. They're also rare enough that it's still kind of novel to see one. Easy to pick out in a sea of 5/7 series and E/S class etc.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:47 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,873 Posts

I've seen a couple of those Lexus on the road. I have to admit it is a nice looking car.
And I understand the age "thing". On many of my posts I have explained getting in and out of the Porsche at 63 gets old and have been preferring my Mercedes Diesel SUV.
Of course I have had many sports injuries, recent knee and foot surgery which doesn't help.

But bottom line if I wanted an "easier" car to drive it wouldn't be something so low to the ground as the Lexus is. It has similar entry height as Porsche.
I love the Porsche for short trips and once and a while drives. And these days nice looking at it in my garage. Just like my vintage Airstream trailer I never use

Porsche used to be my daily years ago but those days are over.
Between the Anarchists in Seattle damaging nice cars and not being able to park them on the street when going out, and the parking lot dings/dents from the other group of morons, I keep the Porsche safe in my garage most of the time.

Last edited by groovzilla; 12-21-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:53 PM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

I think the convertible is one of the nicest looking cars around. I saw one a couple of years ago at the local Lexus store and it was drop dead stunning. I know the tech is outdated and blah blah blah but it absolutely looks the part of the GT.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:58 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by lexhair
I think the convertible is one of the nicest looking cars around. I saw one a couple of years ago at the local Lexus store and it was drop dead stunning. I know the tech is outdated and blah blah blah but it absolutely looks the part of the GT.
Like the 997.2 you can add CarPlay and Android Auto to cars that didn’t come with it from the factory.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:38 PM
stripersteve
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I've seen a couple of those Lexus on the road. I have to admit it is a nice looking car.
And I understand the age "thing". On many of my posts I have explained getting in and out of the Porsche at 63 gets old and have been preferring my Mercedes Diesel SUV.
Of course I have had many sports injuries, recent knee and foot surgery which doesn't help.

But bottom line if I wanted an "easier" car to drive it wouldn't be something so low to the ground as the Lexus is. It has similar entry height as Porsche.
I love the Porsche for short trips and once and a while drives. And these days nice looking at it in my garage. Just like my vintage Airstream trailer I never use

Porsche used to be my daily years ago but those days are over.
Between the Anarchists in Seattle damaging nice cars and not being able to park them on the street when going out, and the parking lot dings/dents from the other group of morons, I keep the Porsche safe in my garage most of the time.

Luckily, even though I've had a similar history of sports injuries in my younger years, and a partial knee replacement, I don't have any issues getting in and out of the 911. I had a good surgeon, and the rebuilt knee feels better and is stronger than my other one !
Old 12-21-2022, 05:21 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Originally Posted by stripersteve
Luckily, even though I've had a similar history of sports injuries in my younger years, and a partial knee replacement, I don't have any issues getting in and out of the 911. I had a good surgeon, and the rebuilt knee feels better and is stronger than my other one !
It's my hips and knee that are painful entering any car that is low. Have to use arms/upper body to support myself when getting in Porsche or similar.

Old 12-21-2022, 05:53 PM
Sporty

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Ok waited long enough for someone else to do it...

Last edited by Sporty; 12-21-2022 at 07:03 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Sporty:
8x57IRS (12-22-2022), Butzi 997 (12-22-2022), Graufuchs (12-24-2022), groovzilla (12-21-2022), Mike Murphy (12-27-2022), smell911 (11-18-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-23-2022, 05:07 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,342 Likes on 609 Posts

If you go that direction, why settle for a V-8?
Jump, with both feet into, an LFA. (Totally TIC!)

Sounds way better to my ear than any street Porsche.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...fa-dyno-video/

Even the CGT!?!

Those V10s are beasts.
Who'd a thunk it...LEXUS!!!

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 12-23-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:44 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 229 Posts

CGT sounds amazing!
Old 12-23-2022, 06:01 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 352 Likes on 163 Posts

To the OP, I also find them visually stunning. To add, the paint quality is widely praised. It's an impressive range of color offerings--both interior and exterior.

From my reading, you may want to consider a 2021 or newer model. Seems that was a fairly major year of an upgrade to the suspension / ride calibration (although it seems Lexus has touched the suspension in some form almost every model year).

Also, make sure you are OK with the screen and interface. I'm sure the system can be learned, but it is not praised in any forums for ease-of-use or general layout.

Best wishes with your decision.

Old 12-24-2022, 06:21 AM
911exclusive
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Similarly I have been researching LC500 past weeks and am actively looking for one. I'm in MA and given the traffic levels there are fewer and fewer occasions for me to drive my TTS in a "spirited" manner. I'm not in a position to track right now and so have decided to get a LC500. Happy to share my notes on the current market
if interested. FYI Lexus Watertown in MA has both a 2023 convertible and a use hybrid coupe on sale right now if you just want to see the car in person.

Quick Reply: lexus lc 500 alternative