Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lexus lc 500 alternative

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 01:37 PM
JRBucks
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Personally I really like the LC. It's a stunning car especially in person. Would I trade my 911 for one, no, but I'm also 48 not 75. If I'm blessed, I'll make it to a point in my life when I'll have to make this tough decision. Even at my age I often wonder if I'd enjoy an SL63 more than my 911. Neck scarves that blow warm air , massaging seats, pillowy ride, roomy, etc. Then I find that small patch of road or series of corners and forget all about it.
Old 12-25-2022, 02:49 PM
stripersteve
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 911exclusive
Hello, Similarly I have been researching LC500 past weeks and am actively looking for one. I'm in MA and given the traffic levels there are fewer and fewer occasions for me to drive my TTS in a "spirited" manner. I'm not in a position to track right now and so have decided to get a LC500. Happy to share my notes on the current market
if interested. FYI Lexus Watertown in MA has both a 2023 convertible and a use hybrid coupe on sale right now if you just want to see the car in person.
Thanks for the info. Just checked their website, and the convertible is the right color ( infrared ) , but the wrong interior ( black vs tan ) . That wouldn't affect getting the feel of the car, however, so I may take a run up there . We just had a decent storm blow through, and I was running on a generator the last 2 days, so looking forward to getting back to normal.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:48 AM
RNGRICK
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts

My brother owns one - Drove it from NJ to NC, feel in love with it, yes it is not a 997, but for commuting (Which I daily my 997) the Egnine, reminds me of my 2001 M5 S62 V8 - the engine and ride alone is enough for me to buy one - Just not there yet.... Would I trade my 911 for a LC5 - NEVER! but I would be a nice garage cousin for my baby.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:51 AM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by JRBucks
Would I trade my 911 for one, no, but I'm also 48 not 75.
^ this.

I’m also in my mid-40’s and have seen too many threads over the years of guys tearfully having to sell their manual sports cars due to old age and health problems.

Going to drive a manual and a fun car as long as I can.
The following users liked this post:
Graufuchs (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 12:53 PM
nydog
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 84 Posts

A friend owned an LC500 coupe for about a year (he seriously has a problem holding onto cars). I didn't drive it but was a passenger on occasions. The exterior, as well as the interior, were gorgeous. Definitely a GT car, great V8, sound and was very comfortable. They are very very rare in my area, Dutchess, Westchester counties and NYC. And the convertible is also stunning. His only complaint was the transmission, in that it had 10-speeds (too many gears) and at times didn't seem to know which gear it needed to be in.

Of course after he got rid of it, he wished he hadn't.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:09 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by nydog
A friend owned an LC500 coupe for about a year (he seriously has a problem holding onto cars). I didn't drive it but was a passenger on occasions. The exterior, as well as the interior, were gorgeous. Definitely a GT car, great V8, sound and was very comfortable. They are very very rare in my area, Dutchess, Westchester counties and NYC. And the convertible is also stunning. His only complaint was the transmission, in that it had 10-speeds (too many gears) and at times didn't seem to know which gear it needed to be in.

Of course after he got rid of it, he wished he hadn't.
I think many (including myself) have been bitten by the "quest for the perfect car" bug.

And when the imperfections reveal themselves in ownership as they invariably always will - then the hunt for the "right" car resumes.

Perhaps the morals of the story end up being - "there are no perfect cars", and "enjoy what you have while you have it."

wreck (07-10-2023)
Old 12-27-2022, 04:10 PM
stripersteve
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
^ this.

I’m also in my mid-40’s and have seen too many threads over the years of guys tearfully having to sell their manual sports cars due to old age and health problems.

Going to drive a manual and a fun car as long as I can.
C'mon guys, 75 is not quite ready for the nursing home yet, so there's still some time left to drive to Doctor's appointments and the senior center for Bingo night. Haven't you heard the expression that " 75 is the new 55 " ? Of course, my knees don't necessarily agree with that...
wreck (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 07:18 AM
wreck
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lc 500

Originally Posted by stripersteve
Before everyone jumps all over me , please give me some latitude here....
Has anyone here ever driven one of the newer lexus lc500's , either coupe or convertible ? I happened to be browsing YouTube one day, and a Toyota master mechanic who has a great channel, happened to mention that his favorite car was the Lexus lc500 because of the great v8 engine and the quality of the interior.
After seeing a bunch of YouTube reviews. it seems that this model is quite the car. Concensus is that it is a GT tourer rather than a hard core sports car . Some people talk about it as a competitor to the 911 , but the conclusion seems to be that the 2 cars are designed for different objectives. Lexus for comfortable cruising in a luxurious cockpit with good performance, and Porsche for more spirited driving with better handling , and a true sports car experience.
As I get older ( 75 ) , I must admit that I drive my 911 like an old lady rather than what the car was intended for. My typical use is a nice cruise on a sunny day with the top down, and almost all on highways . Since my state highways are patrolled heavily, there are very few places to even open the car up occasionally.
As a result, I am curious as to whether the Lexus would be a better fit for me in the long run given my driving specifics.
I'm not necessarily looking for a 911 comparison, as I've seen enough reviews outlining the differences, but more of feedback if anyone has actually driven an lc500 to see what your impressions were. Many reviewers seem to indicate it is an exceptional car . This is a limited production model , and there are none locally to look at, but I'm hoping some of you may have had the opportunity to get some hands on experience.
Great write up. As someone that is in your age group i can you i agree. I still own a 2005 GT Carrera and a 89 speedster in storage. Ive had a 991.2. Sold it for a 718 convertible, loved the car but in Hilton Head no place to really drive and to hard to get in and out. We for my 70th birthday day my wife said sell the 718 and look at the LC500, well I'm in love. It's the best GT car with a ton of performance and sound. Almost as good as the GT. Put it in Sport plus and break the tires loose. The interior, nothing comes close perfection on another level. Service oil changes every 5000 miles and less than $200. Nothing comes close. This is a keeper. Best GT convertible out there.

Had the include my 991.2

Loved the Ferrari but like the LC better. Tack will go to 7300 once warm.

Incredible car

Last edited by wreck; 07-10-2023 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Mor pictures
The following 4 users liked this post by wreck:
MovingChicane (09-15-2023), Ohio Performance (07-10-2023), smell911 (11-18-2023), stripersteve (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 08:34 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 972 Posts

The LC is a very capable GT car but proportion seems bloated and not svelte enough for me
that electric razor grille that Lexus has gone to is annoying
but the car is comfortable and great higher speed cruising
but not a sports car

Quick Reply: lexus lc 500 alternative