Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Engine Mounts to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 06:44 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

I just had my shop install the OEM mounts on my 07 C2S. My tips were sagging too, and yeah, the old mounts looked like they needed to be replaced but the tech said I could’ve gone longer if really needed but it was a good idea to replace after 15 yrs. I noticed after the replacement that the shifting of my manual was a little more crisp and less sloppy, and when I accelerated hard, the car didn’t feel like it squatted as much.

I didn’t bother to look at other types of mounts since I’m totally happy with 15 yrs of service with the OEM mounts and didn’t want any additional vibrations. Old mount shown below. It was a little worn. What I don’t get is how the FF mounts cost only $325, as they say they take the OEM mounts and add some material to them when the original OEM mounts from Suncoast which is also a dealership, sells them for $480. I suspect those aren’t really factory OEM, but OEM like. Also, these mounts are different between coupe and convertible (and the Suncoast site specifies that you choose your model type when you order them). I think the convertible models require a slightly stiffer mount for rigidity purposes. These other sellers only sell one type and don’t distinguish between coupe or cab (I have a cab).

Last edited by Carreralicious; 09-25-2022 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:12 PM
997.one
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 35 Posts

Driven a hard 4K miles on the RSS semi solid mounts and it’s easily one of my most favorite modifications done to the car. The way it helped the shifting was incredibly unexpected and I couldn’t imagine living without these mounts. 10/10.
The following users liked this post:
frederickcook87 (09-29-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 11:15 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 105 Posts

Another very happy FF engine mount owner. I installed RSS first but couldnt get used to the extra NVH. Ordered FF and installed the same day they arrived. No vibration at all for me. The perfect compromise.
Also have everything else FF makes (tanny insert and all the shifter/cable upgrades...)
Old 09-28-2022, 12:17 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 949 Posts

I recently ordered the OE mounts from FCP Euro. VNE is the same manufacturer that produces them for Porsche in the Czech Republic. FCP Euro provides a lifetime warranty so will I not have to purchase them again.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:17 AM
BOBBYFALI
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skaper
Driven a hard 4K miles on the RSS semi solid mounts and it’s easily one of my most favorite modifications done to the car. The way it helped the shifting was incredibly unexpected and I couldn’t imagine living without these mounts. 10/10.

100% AGREED!!!
Old 09-28-2022, 01:06 AM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 105 Posts

My replies in YELLOW

Originally Posted by NevilleNobody
I need an education as my tips are sagging.

1) How do the mounts affect shift quality and is this just felt with a stick or pdk too? Hard to explain the many benefits but overall shifting becomes a little more precise and crisp. Manual and PDK

2) do any of the listed brands in this thread offer a similar stiffness to oem or varying degrees of firmer? Yes there is semi sold (RSS, Wevo, Rennline...) or OEM plus (Function First, 964RS) or simply OEM. They go in order from firm to soft. Main disadvantage of firm is the added vibration you get in the car when idling and revving. Some feel it more than others. Some are fine with it. Others hate it.

3) my roads are absolutely abysmal, any reason for me to consider firmer than oem? Yes my advice would be at least one level firmer than OEM.

4) is their a suggested off brand with similar stiffness to the oem mounts? Function First or OEM 964RS

5) how do the mounts affect things like knock sensors or what not, they're just mounts no? None of these affect knock sensors.

Thanks in advance.
NevilleNobody (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 10:13 AM
NevilleNobody
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

Appreciate the reply Bruno. Just confused as to why i would go firmer than OEM if my roads are swiss cheese? Ride is already on the firmer side of OK given the relentless bumps I am navigating on my local streets.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:03 AM
Lemarp
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Recruiter_Bruno
Another very happy FF engine mount owner. I installed RSS first but couldnt get used to the extra NVH. Ordered FF and installed the same day they arrived. No vibration at all for me. The perfect compromise.
Also have everything else FF makes (tanny insert and all the shifter/cable upgrades...)
I went with FF. Drove it less than 200kms so far. Some additional NVH at idle at first but minimal and settling down. I do have BMC intakes and a Sharkworks X-pipe though.

Haven't noticed any loss in power. I would do it again and i'm not the type of person that would tolerate much change in ride quality and NVH.
Old 10-01-2022, 04:47 PM
Flippster
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed my new OEM mounts this morning. Mine were original with 49,500 miles on a 2009 Carrera S. Definitely need to take age vs mileage into consideration. I do agree with others that this is a wear item that should be replaced.

I had cabin vibration and could feel movement between 1 and 2 gear on my PDK transmission. With the new mounts in the cabin vibrations basically went away and the shifting is smoother. So i would say go OEM if you want something that does not introduce NVH.

New vs Old mounts

Both Old mounts

Last edited by Flippster; 10-01-2022 at 04:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flippster:
NevilleNobody (10-02-2022), RatherJaded (10-03-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 11:51 PM
Ronnie G
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the info, guys. Ended up going with a pair of FF mounts and went ahead and picked up some shift cable ends as well. I’m hoping these two upgrades will smooth out my shifter action—then it’s on to the suspension!
Old 10-03-2022, 12:21 AM
ParkerCO997.2
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 33 Posts

Just installed Rennline today with the “yellow” bushings. 2010 C4S Cab manual (63k) that exhibited a little thump going into 1st gear and slight exhaust tip sag.

after the install the exhaust tips came up 1/4”. No increase in NVH at idle, shifting definitely a bit more crisp with no “thump”. Experiencing a bit of NVH increase at 3,000-3,200 with a rattle in the rear behind the drivers side back seat. I’ll track it down and all will be good. Maybe it will settle down as well with a few more miles and settling.

overall happy with it at this time.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:23 AM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 199 Posts

I installed VNE mounts from FCP on my 2010 C2. The old ones were definitely sagging. I did not want any more vibration or harshness in the cabin and decided the OE mounts were best suited for my needs. The VNE mounts appear identical to the factory mounts right down to the imprinted stampings. Shifting feel is improved, especially first gear selection. The exhaust is also now inline with the bumper.

RatherJaded (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 09:39 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,382 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
I recently ordered the OE mounts from FCP Euro. VNE is the same manufacturer that produces them for Porsche in the Czech Republic. FCP Euro provides a lifetime warranty so will I not have to purchase them again.

Just ordered the same mounts, its on the bench along with the pile of winter projects for the car. I have a power flex insert for the transmission mount also. I finally have the time to work on the cars in a methodical manner and not a "rushed" weekend job.
RatherJaded (10-04-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 01:04 PM
fireman
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

how do the mounts affect things like knock sensors or what not, they're just mounts no? None of these affect knock sensors.

You have tested them then? Have any dyno graphs for us?
The internet at its best.
I'm a french model by the wsy.

https://youtu.be/WIxWGAtbeTc

https://youtu.be/3DZbSlkFoSU

Last edited by fireman; 10-03-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:42 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 949 Posts
Question

Photo request for those that have purchased the VNE mounts from FCP Euro. Would you please post a photo of the top of your new mounts, more specifically of the sticker affixed on the top. TIA

Quick Reply: Which Engine Mounts to Buy?