Sponsored by:

Should I avoid a 2009 PDK

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 12:15 AM
9INE97
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by KLS
Understanding that the quote is tongue in cheek, but would it save Groovzilla a few thousand posts if there was a sticky saying that he thinks manual transmissions are the only reasonable option?
Haha😂
Old 08-13-2022, 01:13 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by KLS
Understanding that the quote is tongue in cheek, but would it save Groovzilla a few thousand posts if there was a sticky saying that he thinks manual transmissions are the only reasonable option?
Going back to an old joke about prisoners shouting out numbers in the dining hall, maybe just assign a number. Anytime 23 shows up that's code for ...

Only sissy men drive automatics and to be a real Porsche (driven by real men) it must have a manual and if it doesn't have a manual then it is impossible to have a real driving experience.

I defer to Groove to refine the words to his preference.

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 08-13-2022 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:12 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Nope - I bought my 1979 Ferrari GTSI for me and it is Manual Transmission
Sorry. Should have been more precise. Ferrari stopped offering manuals 2016 based on this story: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...anual-gearbox/

And looks like Lambo did it 2015: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ions-are-dead/

So sure....no problem getting a manual Ferrari or Lambo 1979 or earlier and up to around 2015 and 2016.
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (08-13-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 03:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
my mother has had an 09 C4s for probably 5 years now and that transmission is hot garbage. I know everyone will tell me something is wrong with it, but it doesn't seem to throw any codes or show any other indication of failure, and yet it drives like crap. I'd spend some time driving whatever example you're looking to get as it could be disappointing
I assume your mother's car is a PDK. My -09 C4S PDK shifted very smoothly in normal mode. Just like a regular automatic. In sport and especially sport + mode though, different story. Some would call it rough, jerky or whatever. I would call it microsecond thrilling shifts in sport + mode and I don't think you can get that kind of performance while expecting automatic like smoothness.

I think a lot of PDK drivers are just used to leaving it in auto mode so they never get to experience sport + since it's not suitable or practical for anything but track use, holding the gears to redline in auto mode. Me, I'm always in sport + manual once the oil is up to temperature. I don't find it boring at all but to each their own.

One more thing that makes a difference imo. I use the gear lever to shift in manual mode rather than the paddles that for my taste have too long of a throw. The gear lever feels quicker, snappier or whatever you want to call it. Porsche could learn something from Benz here. Great feel to the Benz paddles. Just a tiny little click instead of the clunk like feel of the Porsche paddles.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:13 AM
ohmyggg
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Porsche could learn something from Benz here. Great feel to the Benz paddles. Just a tiny little click instead of the clunk like feel of the Porsche paddles.
Porsche fixed it in later years. My 2018 Macan GTS has much snappier paddles with a shorter throw and better tactile feel. Night and day difference compared to my 2009 steering wheel, although I still prefer the paddles on my ’09 Sport Design wheel about 1000fold more than my previous original wheel with the button shifters.
uncle_sam (08-13-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 09:06 AM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 259 Likes on 162 Posts

I assume your mother's car is a PDK. My -09 C4S PDK shifted very smoothly in normal mode. Just like a regular automatic. In sport and especially sport + mode though, different story. Some would call it rough, jerky or whatever. I would call it microsecond thrilling shifts in sport + mode and I don't think you can get that kind of performance while expecting automatic like smoothness.

I think a lot of PDK drivers are just used to leaving it in auto mode so they never get to experience sport + since it's not suitable or practical for anything but track use, holding the gears to redline in auto mode. Me, I'm always in sport + manual once the oil is up to temperature. I don't find it boring at all but to each their own.
I like to be in Sport mode 95% if time… after warm up. Normal mode(economy mode ) for highway.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:12 AM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 259 Likes on 162 Posts

I prefer manual over PDK but my PDK has been flawless. (2009 C4S with 81.5k miles)
I am out of warranty now so there is always that little fear in the back of my head that if it breaks… it might be a dramatic event for my wallet! Preventive maintenance is my insurance now. Gotta pay to play!

PDK shifts feel like a F1 car. So fast and no lag… just keeps pulling! I drove my friends new Mercedes C43 and the shift were slightly slower and I feel the exhaust note is over compensating for lack of power. Nice car though.

Last edited by jbkusa; 08-14-2022 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:55 AM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Manuals have not been available for years for either brand no matter how deep your pockets. They all just stopped producing manual cars for lack of demand. Dual clutch only.
Amazing how much they’re in demand now. Huge price differences in manual versions of cars that offered both (e.g. F430, Murcielago).
Old 08-13-2022, 10:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick E
Amazing how much they’re in demand now. Huge price differences in manual versions of cars that offered both (e.g. F430, Murcielago).
The demand comes from the secondary market. The new car buyer doesn't want a manual, but the used car buyer does. This drastically reduced the supply of manual cars in the used market and drives the prices through the roof with $20-$30k difference on otherwise comparable models (like a 997TT coupe).
Old 08-13-2022, 10:14 AM
63mercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

I guess we can add your not only buying the car but the previous owner/owners statement. I'm sure one that has been rode hard and put up wet with track use could be a bigger problem vs. one that was cared for with proper maintenance. I can swing a 3k clutch job tomorrow, a 14-20k pdk replacement forces a sale for me. There's failures out of no where but I'm sure most of them are from being beating on it day in and day out.

Buy what you like, you have about 40 solid answers to the question lol.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:38 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Going back to an old joke about prisoners shouting out numbers in the dining hall, maybe just assign a number. Anytime 23 shows up that's code for ...
Only sissy men drive automatics and to be a real Porsche (driven by real men) it must have a manual and if it doesn't have a manual then it is impossible to have a real driving experience.
I defer to Groove to refine the words to his preference.
I guess I should have elaborated more - Only sissy men drive PDK and Boxsters. Other PDK & Boxster examples purchased for wives, daughters, mothers & grandma's.
Can we Sticky this?

Last edited by groovzilla; 08-13-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 02:55 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Sorry. Should have been more precise. Ferrari stopped offering manuals 2016 based on this story: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...anual-gearbox/
And looks like Lambo did it 2015: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ions-are-dead/
So sure....no problem getting a manual Ferrari or Lambo 1979 or earlier and up to around 2015 and 2016.
My 308 was previously owned by Doctor in San Diego who treated it like royalty.
And Sandwedge not sure if you know or care but most of the 1970's and 1980's Ferrari's have been repainted. Original Lacquer paint checked badly and most owners took to highest end shops for strip & repaint.

Noah Fect (08-15-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 03:28 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I guess I should have elaborated more - Only sissy men drive PDK and Boxsters. Other PDK & Boxster examples purchased for wives, daughters, mothers & grandma's.
Can we Sticky this?

Oh boy Groovzilla... now your taking it too far... I LOVE my 6spd manual Boxster S. The Boxster is awesome, so much so that I am on to my 2nd one now. My 911 C4S is amaze *****, but the Boxster is so fun to drive in the canyons and along the beach here in sunny CA. Now a pdk Boxster is whole other story and I may have to agree with you. " Can we sticky this?"

Last edited by qikqbn; 08-13-2022 at 03:32 PM.
groovzilla (08-13-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 07:36 PM
keperkey
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all of the helpful replies and even the less than helpful quips. I will not automatically exclude a 2009 but I am also reconsidering my reasons for a PDK.
63mercedes (08-14-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 08:01 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Oh boy Groovzilla... now your taking it too far... I LOVE my 6spd manual Boxster S. The Boxster is awesome, so much so that I am on to my 2nd one now. My 911 C4S is amaze *****, but the Boxster is so fun to drive in the canyons and along the beach here in sunny CA. Now a pdk Boxster is whole other story and I may have to agree with you. " Can we sticky this?"
Boxster joke was from years ago. Some member made fun of Boxster calling it woman's car.
I had a MT Boxster I bought in LA years ago. Like a little go kart.

qikqbn (08-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Should I avoid a 2009 PDK