Sponsored by:

Replacing a tire, or a tires, when tires are discontinued

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 05:23 AM
California9972
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing a tire, or a tires, when tires are discontinued

Hi, I'm a new forum member, hoping I could ask a question about replacing tires. I recently bought a 2009 C2 cabriolet that is running Bridgestone Potenza S-04 tires. The two tires in the front are almost new; they're date coded 2019/20, and were just put on 300 miles ago. But the two tires in the back are older: One is date-coded 2017 and needs to be replaced as it has worn on the inside (the car needs an alignment, which I have scheduled), and the other is date-coded 2015 and has about 10K miles on it but has a lot of tread left. Here's the challenge: It seems that the Potenza S-04 tire was recently discontinued, so I can't just replace the one that needs to be replaced, or just the two rear tires that are older, to match the tires with the front.

Any thoughts on how to best proceed? If the front tires are fine, and I only need to replace the rear tires, can I get different version of Potenza tires for the rear tires? I have heard that it's a bad idea to run different brands front/rear, but I don't know if that means I shouldn't run different kinds of Bridgestone Potenzas front vs. rear. Or is the responsible move, safety and perhaps performance-wise, to just suck it up, pay the extra, and replace all four tires with something new so I have four matching tires? Any thoughts very welcome, and my apologies if this question was asked elsewhere or if I'm asking the wrong group.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:57 AM
Pilot Sport 4S
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Being the vehicle is not AWD, you can replace just 2 new identical tires on the same axle. No issues. I would first get the specs of the discontinued Potenzas from TireRack and replace with the newer generation tires ensuring you come as close to the original specs as possible: overall diameter, section width and revs/mile. If the vehicle was AWD, I would change all four tires to ensure equal traction across all 4 footprints and not risking any issues with the torque differential.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:11 AM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

In my opinion, Mr. Pilot Sport 4S offered the best advice; call TireRack. They have a very high level of expertise and guide you to the best solution.

I'm not affiliated, just always impressed by their competence.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 10:04 AM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Had same car 997.1 C2S with same Bridgestone tires as you, and previously replaced fronts with Pilot Super sports 4, kept the Olds Bridgestone’s in the back, but got an irreparable puncture in one of them, (luckily near the local Porsche dealer so I went straight to them). They told me that Bridgestone Potenzas were not available anymore. They suggested to replace both rears with Michelins’ Pilot Super Sport, as they’re N rated approved by Porsche for the 911. Price was almost same as quoted by my Indy a couple of months before. And I even have a free ride back home and to pick the car 2 days later. So pretty happy with Pilot’s. You need to change them in pairs (by axle). Happy ride.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:53 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 407 Posts

You could also get the Bridgestone RE050a N rated tire. I originally had Potenza S-04 on the car all around and the dealer put on the RE050a on the fronts when I had to replace the fronts.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:28 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in the same situation. Bridgestone RE050a for the rears is the answer. I did this, no issues so far at all. My situation was reversed. New rears and old fronts that needed replacing. I like matching the same manufacturer. I contacted Bridgestone and this was their recommendation.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:13 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

I'd look on EBay for a tire match. Lots of good NOS parts/tires/etc can be found
Heres a brand new set but not sure what sizes you need:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11489000221...3ABFBMxsvvktFg

**I recently hunted for some old parts no longer available for my Johnson Outboard motor and found NOS for 1/2 price.
Ebay can be very helpful just make sure you buy smart and only from sellers with lots of Positive Feedback..

Last edited by groovzilla; 08-10-2022 at 04:17 PM.
JAB_997 (08-16-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 04:56 PM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Suggest for NOS (New Old Stock) tires, to be careful. All tires in general, has a shelf life (user life) of about 6 to 7 years. After that, tire’s compound isn’t as reliable as it should (specially for an application for high performance car), so check week/year of manufacturing from the side of each tire, or ask for those numbers. I personally requested that my tires were as “fresh” as possible. I changed fronts that came with the car (previous owner) due to old dated manufacture (13’), otherwise still with plenty of threads left.
About brand preferences, in general, like the Michelins over the Bridgestones, as they feel stickier and less hard on bumpers/holes; but I understand that this is just a personal choice. Price wise comparison between these two are not a big gap.
For me, one of the most important things to experience how a 911 is handling, its stability, response and balance are the quality/type of tires used. A wrong choice will impact your experience driving this machines as they should. So one thing to keep in mind is to spare no expense on quality/recommended tires.

Last edited by FlatsixS; 08-10-2022 at 05:20 PM.
JAB_997 (08-16-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 05:52 PM
California9972
5th Gear

Thanks, all! This is incredibly helpful. I really appreciate the feedback.
FlatsixS (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 06:19 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatsixS
Suggest for NOS (New Old Stock) tires, to be careful. All tires in general, has a shelf life (user life) of about 6 to 7 years. After that, tire’s compound isn’t as reliable as it should (specially for an application for high performance car), so check week/year of manufacturing from the side of each tire, or ask for those numbers. I personally requested that my tires were as “fresh” as possible. I changed fronts that came with the car (previous owner) due to old dated manufacture (13’), otherwise still with plenty of threads left.
About brand preferences, in general, like the Michelins over the Bridgestones, as they feel stickier and less hard on bumpers/holes; but I understand that this is just a personal choice. Price wise comparison between these two are not a big gap.
For me, one of the most important things to experience how a 911 is handling, its stability, response and balance are the quality/type of tires used. A wrong choice will impact your experience driving this machines as they should. So one thing to keep in mind is to spare no expense on quality/recommended tires.
Good point and also many tire shops won't moiunt older tires that are beyond a certain # of years.

FlatsixS (08-10-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 08:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Don't mix tire types front and rear as it can create a very odd instability in the handling dynamics of the car, especially when driving in lower traction situations like heavy rain, cold asphalt, etc.

Look on eBay, Craigslist, and Facebook marketplace or do a Google search to find the 1 or 2 tires you need, or replace all 4 and sell your good ones on Craigslist or Facebook.

Last edited by Petza914; 08-12-2022 at 09:25 AM.
door2416 (08-16-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 08:54 AM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 37 Posts

My rule of thumb thru various performance cars, is always replace tires together on same axle. As for going with a different brand that what is on the other axle, this is where you can have issues in different dynamics on one axle vs the other, due to side walls, tread design and rubber compound. These different dynamics may not be noticed in normal driving, but will be magnified in performance situations like high speed cornering, high speed hard braking, heavy water/water channeling.

I agree TireRack is a great service and has knowledge to guide you to the right solution for your vehicle as well.

After years of motorcycling both track bikes, and dual sports for both highway and gravel/non paved surfaces, you learn about the importance of grip, load dynamics, braking and cornering, when you only have two wheels instead of 4. LOL

I must say, these Michelin PS4's are just fantastic. I was a big Continental Extreme Contact user for performance cars like BMW/Audi/Mercedes, pre 2015, but the 911 is in another orbit when it comes to its chassis, suspension and handling dynamics...and the confidence I have pushing these PS4 in dry or wet surfaces is just top off the chart. Getting the rear loose with PASM off would require a lot of crazy extreme inputs to unsettle the car or the tires, IMO.
Even the Tail of the Dragon, never even heard a tire screech or felt the front loose grip.

Last edited by IrishWhiskey; 08-12-2022 at 09:02 AM.
FlatsixS (08-12-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 09:56 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

Sent you a PM. I just got new tires due to buying wider wheels. Got a perfect set of rear s04s
Old 08-16-2022, 02:11 AM
California9972
5th Gear

UPDATE: I ended up getting two new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires from Tire Rack. Had them put on on Saturday. The shop that put on the tires recommended getting new Michelins in the front, too, to match the back. But I figured, based on the feedback in this thread, to try it with the newish Bridgestones still on the front. Anyway, I brought the car in today for a 4-wheel alignment at an independent shop recommended by folks in the local PCA chapter. Big improvement! Car feels great.

Last edited by California9972; 08-16-2022 at 02:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacing a tire, or a tires, when tires are discontinued