Dealers denying IMS issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 08:38 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase
Bruce, just going by LNE's product description -- "The unique approach and patented design of the IMS Solution completely eliminates ball or roller bearings, backdating the intermediate shaft bearing to a plain, oil-pressure fed bearing like what is used in an aircooled Mezger engine and in 911 GT2, 911 GT3 and 911 Turbo® Porsche cars."

Either way, I suspect the team of Charles Navarro engineering teamed with Jake Raby "trying to break the prototypes" and providing feedback from his extensive experience probably result in something that is a little over-engineered and well may outlast many other critical parts of my car. Both men are very protective of their hard-earned reputations, and rightfully so.

Well worth the money, especially when you consider the amortization of the price difference over many years.
Thanx for the clarification. I was under the wrong assumption they used ball bearings and fed pressurized oil. Very interesting... they really did what Porsche should have done... and used to do.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
The following users liked this post:
JustinCase (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 04:44 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I can't remember the last time there was a post on a failed later style IMS Bearing?.
Few and far between but they happen:

07 997 C2S, daily driver, no track time, 1 quart oil per 3K miles, ~75,000 miles IMS failure, engine rattle prior to failure. Traded car in for 2010 997 GTS.
https://rennlist.com/forums/8924078-post110.html

3or so weeks so a friend of mine with a 07 Carrera S IMS failed and engine and block is beyond repair. He use to post on here sometimes but it's been awhile. He changed oil a lot, looked at filter for tell tail signs...nothing...then Boom one day.
https://rennlist.com/forums/9677220-post217.html

A friend of mine, who now drives a 2011 997 Turbo S, had the IMS failure in his 2008 997 S at 5500 miles, the engine was changed on warranty, but not everything is web paranoia regarding upgraded IMS failures
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...tml#post664215
Old 08-12-2022, 07:33 PM
zulu1177
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
**Your IMS Bearing is the later style larger IMS Bearing so no worries----> Your engine# is M96/05 69611490 which is the larger Bearing. The larger Bearing in the Base Engine are engine#'s after 69507476
Please refer to the info below:
For 3.6L "Non-S" motors, if the engine# is M96/05 69507476 and higher it has the larger more robust IMS bearing.

**I just saved you $2200

I lightened your engine# photo:

Relax and have a few drinks - Forget about the IMS Bearing and worry more about Bore Scoring IF you did not get a Bore Scope Inspection as part of the PPI when you bought your car. The Base engines are less prone to Bore Scoring but good idea to have it Scoped to see condition of all cylinders.
In the meantime enjoy your new ride and forget about the Bearing - You'll be fine

Hi,
Thank you groovzilla!! and thank you so much everyone for your input!
I have learned alot! And also I can relax thanks to groovzilla.
I have scheduled for 60K service next week and will have the car checked out.
I can now enjoy the car
Old 08-15-2022, 12:32 PM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 365 Likes on 149 Posts

For the record:
The IMS Solution is a plain bearing design. "Other" systems that are marketed to be confusingly similar to uninformed purchasers utilize an external oil feed similar to the IMS Solution, but they do incorporate ball and even roller bearings in their fitment.
This isn't to be confused with the triple- patented IMS Solution, which only uses a pressurized film of engine oil to support the Intermediate shaft. The IMS Solution omits 11 wear components within the engine in the case of the single row, and 18 components in the case of the dual row. Thus is because it omits *****/ rollers and retention cages for each. No other design reduces wear components. No other design is as simple, or effective as the genuine IMS Solution.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:42 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by BRS-LN
For the record:
The IMS Solution is a plain bearing design. "Other" systems that are marketed to be confusingly similar to uninformed purchasers utilize an external oil feed similar to the IMS Solution, but they do incorporate ball and even roller bearings in their fitment.
This isn't to be confused with the triple- patented IMS Solution, which only uses a pressurized film of engine oil to support the Intermediate shaft. The IMS Solution omits 11 wear components within the engine in the case of the single row, and 18 components in the case of the dual row. Thus is because it omits *****/ rollers and retention cages for each. No other design reduces wear components. No other design is as simple, or effective as the genuine IMS Solution.
This 100% and why it's the only solution I'd install in a 997. The bearing design is similar to that used in the bulletproof Mezger engines from the Turbo and GTS cars. Ever heard of an IMS failure in one of them?
Old 08-15-2022, 11:26 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
This 100% and why it's the only solution I'd install in a 997. The bearing design is similar to that used in the bulletproof Mezger engines from the Turbo and GTS cars. Ever heard of an IMS failure in one of them?
I got a free IMS Solution, I just had to buy a FSI stage II engine 😂
Old 08-15-2022, 11:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
LOL
Old 08-17-2022, 08:49 PM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 365 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Funny, when Jake invented the IMS Solution that's exactly what he used to say. That was before we convinced him the system needed to be sold separately from his engines.
The following users liked this post:
JustinCase (08-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Dealers denying IMS issue