PDK-S Retrofit ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 07:53 AM
SilverFrog
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PDK-S Retrofit ?

Hey guys !

I had this on my mind for a while but is there anyone who already retrofited a "newer" PDK unit (991+) on a 997.2 ?

I mean, technically it's the same gearbox and same engine that is used on the 991 (minus the little internals update for the newer PDK).

I can't find anything about it online so idk if some people did achieve this swap... What would be required tho ? Would the new PDK TCU be plug-and-play ? Also iirc the cooling path is different on the newer version and does not use a heat exchanger anymore
Old 08-17-2022, 04:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverFrog
Hey guys !

I had this on my mind for a while but is there anyone who already retrofited a "newer" PDK unit (991+) on a 997.2 ?

I mean, technically it's the same gearbox and same engine that is used on the 991 (minus the little internals update for the newer PDK).

I can't find anything about it online so idk if some people did achieve this swap... What would be required tho ? Would the new PDK TCU be plug-and-play ? Also iirc the cooling path is different on the newer version and does not use a heat exchanger anymore
Just curious why you would want to do this if it's doable.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:35 AM
SilverFrog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Just curious why you would want to do this if it's doable.
My car is on the edge of getting an engine rebuild soon (within the 2 next years I think), I was thinking about getting the PDK "rebuilt" aswell (my car has 145k miles) but if it was doable, getting a newer unit would be a better choice imho considering how well the 2012+ PDK behaves vs the 2009 variant (even if I think this is a lot software based, but the hardware has some differences aswell)
Old 08-17-2022, 02:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

My car is on the edge of getting an engine rebuild soon (within the 2 next years I think), I was thinking about getting the PDK "rebuilt" aswell (my car has 145k miles) but if it was doable, getting a newer unit would be a better choice imho considering how well the 2012+ PDK behaves vs the 2009 variant (even if I think this is a lot software based, but the hardware has some differences aswell)
Why do you need an engine rebuild on a 145k mile engine? Something wrong?
Old 08-17-2022, 02:09 PM
SilverFrog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ADias
Why do you need an engine rebuild on a 145k mile engine? Something wrong?
Car lately started to burn a lot of oil, like a quart per 600 miles, and even if that's in the user manual "tolerances", that's definitely wrong for me as it started to do so all of sudden, to the point that I'm now on 10w60 to "stem" the issue, I'll need to take an appointement to have my cylinders inspected but I wouldn't be surprised to have scoring, now the question is how it happened, It's my 3rd year of ownership and it all started a year ago, I never idle the car when cold, don't push it above 3k rpm 'til the oil is warm etc...
Old 08-17-2022, 02:22 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Car lately started to burn a lot of oil, like a quart per 600 miles, and even if that's in the user manual "tolerances", that's definitely wrong for me as it started to do so all of sudden, to the point that I'm now on 10w60 to "stem" the issue, I'll need to take an appointement to have my cylinders inspected but I wouldn't be surprised to have scoring, now the question is how it happened, It's my 3rd year of ownership and it all started a year ago, I never idle the car when cold, don't push it above 3k rpm 'til the oil is warm etc...
Please keep us updated on what you find.

Did your oil consumption gradually increase to what it is now, or was it a step function from minimal burn to major? Any noticeable power loss? Anything else?

Thanks in advance for anything you can offer. And good luck moving forward.
The following users liked this post:
ADias (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 05:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Please keep us updated on what you find.

Did your oil consumption gradually increase to what it is now, or was it a step function from minimal burn to major? Any noticeable power loss? Anything else?

Thanks in advance for anything you can offer. And good luck moving forward.
Great questions!

OP: Yes, please post your findings. Sudden oil consumption can be many things.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Understood and that makes sense although the discussion of whether or not the new PDK software is better behaved than the old one will go on forever with different opinions, preferences and taste. Me, I like the old software better since it feels less than an automatic or the old TIP and more like a sports car than the "upgraded" software. At least that's how the upgraded version I got felt when the PDK was replaced on my -09 C4S. Hated it and asked if the software could be reversed. A loud and clear no was the answer.

Quick Reply: PDK-S Retrofit ?