Sponsored by:

Low Oil Pressure after bouncing a curb

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 01:14 PM
PetrolNerd
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure after bouncing a curb

Was leaving my driveway and unfortunately the rear end bounced off the curb, just shortly after when slowing down / idle clutch in I receive a notification of "low oil pressure warning" for less than a second and it disappears. This has now been happening when driving at temp. It definitely seems like a loose sensor but wanted to get some feedback. Car cant get into a shop for a week or so as they're booked out.

06 c4s

Last edited by PetrolNerd; 08-03-2022 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:34 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 991 Posts

I wouldn’t drive it until you know for sure what the issue is. You can put a manual gauge on the pressure side if you want to check.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:03 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 321 Posts

Any fluids on the ground? Would be worried if you have converted oil filters to metal you might of crushed it.
Old 08-03-2022, 03:31 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,678 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by PetrolNerd
Was leaving my driveway and unfortunately the rear end bounced off the curb, just shortly after when slowing down / idle clutch in I receive a notification of "low oil pressure warning" for less than a second and it disappears. This has now been happening when driving at temp. It definitely seems like a loose sensor but wanted to get some feedback. Car cant get into a shop for a week or so as they're booked out.

06 c4s
Always a chance on these cars to damage the engine when hitting pot hole, curbs, etc. Usually damages the sump plate, but depending on how you hit the curb, there is a slight chance you damaged the oil pump housing or called the front console. (see arrow in image)

Jack the car up and examine for any leaks or obvious damage.

Old 08-03-2022, 03:56 PM
PetrolNerd
Track Day

Originally Posted by b3freak
Always a chance on these cars to damage the engine when hitting pot hole, curbs, etc. Usually damages the sump plate, but depending on how you hit the curb, there is a slight chance you damaged the oil pump housing or called the front console. (see arrow in image)

Jack the car up and examine for any leaks or obvious damage.

There have been no fluids so nothing broken luckily, ill get under again and look closely for any damage.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:50 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Checking the tightness of the oil pressure sender and connection to the harness is really easy to do. I’d do that just to check the box.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,191 Likes on 3,947 Posts

What does the oil pressure gauge read with the key on but engine not running? Is it showing zero or something else.

What's your oil level via the gauge?
Old 08-04-2022, 10:44 AM
Dk27
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

If you hit the oil pan hard enough you may have pushed and broken the pickup tube that sits right on the bottom of the pan. Is your oil level still at the proper level? If it is I would bet this could be the issue.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Dk27
If you hit the oil pan hard enough you may have pushed and broken the pickup tube that sits right on the bottom of the pan. Is your oil level still at the proper level? If it is I would bet this could be the issue.
No. You wouldnt flex the sump cover enough to push up the pick up, which has a bit of play anyway, without the cover itself breaking. A hard hit may have temporarily jiggled the innards of the pressure gauge but the engine is likely just fine
Old 08-06-2022, 07:21 PM
PetrolNerd
Track Day

Follow up, the pop up has become less frequent, ive yet to get a chance to pull it apart and take a look at the sensor. I've never seen the gauge go below .5 bar and it idles around that
Old 08-06-2022, 08:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by PetrolNerd
Follow up, the pop up has become less frequent, ive yet to get a chance to pull it apart and take a look at the sensor. I've never seen the gauge go below .5 bar and it idles around that
You never explained... did your engine, exhaust/meta-part hit the curb?

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure after bouncing a curb