Sponsored by:

997 Engine Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 11:18 AM
mnmetalhead1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Engine Tuning

Im nearing completion of the engine rebuild for my boss and he had it bored to 101mm with new JE pistons, i just wanted to ask if anyone was familiar with the tuning process and if it would fire up before a tune since there was an increase in displacement. Also are there any reputable tuners in the midwest?
Old 07-28-2022, 09:39 AM
997ajk
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Check out Softtronic

https://www.softronicsoftware.com/99...oftware-05-08/

The following users liked this post:
qikqbn (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 10:01 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 279 Posts

When I built mine, I was told by several reputable sources that the factory program could handle about a 10% increase without drama. With that in mind, I elected to go from 3.6 to 3.8. Runs great.

Not sure what your 101 translates to, but the car will absolutely fire and be drivable on the factory tune. If you are pushing the limits on the 10% or if you have money to burn, go with a tune.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:52 AM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 226 Likes on 99 Posts

I’ve worked with Tuning Tech Frank Smith out of Maryland. (Remote dyno). I also used ET tuning out of MO. They use a company out of FL.

I’m personally a fan of custom tunes as they take into consideration your mods/engine and you can customize it to your liking.

I wish we could crack the dme on our cars like we did on the e46 m3.

2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 07-28-2022, 11:06 AM
fireman
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 420 hp, stock ecu

Old 07-28-2022, 12:22 PM
cbond
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my 997.1 engine rebuilt after IMS failure at 99,200 miles. My car is a 2005 C2S delivered in Nov 2004. New IMS, 100 mm Wossner pistons, Nickies cylinders, Soul headers and whatever else the engine needed (bearings, bolts, water pump, valves for one side, on and on.) The builder was SSI Auto Service, Sloan Palitti 410 668-1100. Sloan advised the factory EMS settings would be for the engine as it was built in 2004 - not for the new configuration. He recommended RPautomotive.com. The tune gained 30 ft./lb. torque and 37 HP with more HP available over most of the RPM range. Both builder and tuner are in the Baltimore, MD area; not the midwest - but they might be able to inform you.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:06 PM
carguy999
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 82 Posts

What does it cost to bore out the engine? If there are bore scoring issues, is that what people usually do? I don't have any scoring but keeping my eyes out!
Old 07-28-2022, 10:13 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carguy999
What does it cost to bore out the engine? If there are bore scoring issues, is that what people usually do? I don't have any scoring but keeping my eyes out!
It's not that simple. You need to replace the sleeves first.
So the cost tends to be marginal since you are replacing the sleeves and pistons anyway.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:20 PM
carguy999
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 82 Posts

Haha I'm glad I asked - I've literally never heard anything about replacing sleeves. What does that all entail?
Old 07-28-2022, 10:25 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carguy999
Haha I'm glad I asked - I've literally never heard anything about replacing sleeves. What does that all entail?
It's like adopting a machine shop as a needy child. ;-)
Pretty major engine surgery. Expensive too. Maybe google "nickies" and see how far down the rabbit hole you end up.
Summerjack (08-24-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 10:49 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 997ajk
To each their own, and I by no means want to "trash talk" any vendors, but hear me out... I too almost went with Softronic. I had a few conversations with the guy, I think the name was Sean or something. Or maybe I'm way off on the name. Anyway, he was quite rude, non-responsive, and short when he was responsive. Basically, the conversations were unproductive. They were however productive in the sense that I knew for a fact I wasn't going to be using him/Softronic for my tuning solution needs. Mainly, the issue was around WMI (water meth). What I concluded after my brief and irritating communication(s) with Softronic was more or less the lack of interest or desire to do any WMI tuning. It wasn't because the software program Softronic itself lacked the capabilities to adjust the tune accordingly with a WMI kit installed. It had to be more so that the tuner himself lacked either the knowledge or skill required to tune the ECU with a WMI kit installed. Now, some of you (probably 99% of you lol) probably don't care about water/meth and/or would never be installing it on your Porsche platform of choice. As a side note, that's a shame because there's so much power left on the table there, and it's a safe and easy way to make more power while also saving a little bit on gas prices AND helping to clean (or keep clean) the intake manifold and intake valve stems etc, especially for us DI (direct injection) owners. Alas, I digress! The point I'm making is that it doesn't matter if you have any interest in tuning your vehicle with WMI or not. The point I'm trying to make is that if you deviate from the beaten path, it seems, Softronic is not additional, unique and/or super custom tuning friendly. This is just my impression and total guess of the situation: the guy and/or Softronic can absolutely get you taken care of within a limited range of modifications to the vehicle. Like, perhaps an aftermarket air intake system or a larger exhaust is fine, but anything beyond that like a custom engine builds, a larger turbo, a WMI kit, you name it, Softronic is probably not going to have a tuning map/solution for you, and at least in my WMI Softronic experience, the guy seemed to have no desire to work with me i.e. getting some data-logs done with the WMI kit installed and email to him for tune/map adjustments to send back to me, etc. This is fairly standard and common practice for any remote tuning solution, regardless of the brand/manufacturer/software program/car/etc. Before my Cayenne, I had an Infiniti G37x tuned with EcuTek. Before I wrecked it and it was a total loss, I would data-log parameters with the awesome, easy-to-use EcuTek OBD2 module via Bluetooth to the paired app on my phone. Then I'd send my tuner all the requested parameters i.e. wideband AFRs, timing, engine loads, MAP/MAF sensor data, intake manifold pressure, throttle position, you name it/you know the drill. And I'd do whatever my tuner requested i.e. one set of logged data from a 0-60 WOT (wide open throttle) run, one set of data logged from like a 30mph-70mph on the highway run, stuff like that. Then he'd adjust the tune and send it back to me, usually with a noticeable difference. I expect much the same or similar type of process will be how we do things as I work with my chosen tuner: Protomotive for my Cayenne Turbo 958.1.

This is what I'm going with: 🔍 Tuning Cayenne 92A Turbo OEM DME tuning 2011-2017

I found out about this shop from a YouTube video. It was a great video and tour of the shop and you get to see how knowledgeable and enthusiastic the owners/tuners/builders are about Porsche!

Last edited by ElSpoon958; 08-25-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:12 AM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 197 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ElSpoon958
To each their own, and I by no means want to "trash talk" any vendors, but hear me out... I too almost went with Softronic. I had a few conversations with the guy, I think the name was Sean or something. Or maybe I'm way off on the name. Anyway, he was quite rude, non-responsive, and short when he was responsive. Basically, the conversations were unproductive. They were however productive in the sense that I knew for a fact I wasn't going to be using him/Softronic for my tuning solution needs. Mainly, the issue was around WMI (water meth). What I concluded after my brief and irritating communication(s) with Softronic was more or less the lack of interest or desire to do any WMI tuning. It wasn't because the software program Softronic itself lacked the capabilities to adjust the tune accordingly with a WMI kit installed. It had to be more so that the tuner himself lacked either the knowledge or skill required to tune the ECU with a WMI kit installed. Now, some of you (probably 99% of you lol) probably don't care about water/meth and/or would never be installing it on your Porsche platform of choice. As a side note, that's a shame because there's so much power left on the table there, and it's a safe and easy way to make more power while also saving a little bit on gas prices AND helping to clean (or keep clean) the intake manifold and intake valve stems etc, especially for us DI (direct injection) owners. Alas, I digress! The point I'm making is that it doesn't matter if you have any interest in tuning your vehicle with WMI or not. The point I'm trying to make is that if you deviate from the beaten path, it seems, Softronic is not additional, unique and/or super custom tuning friendly. This is just my impression and total guess of the situation: the guy and/or Softronic can absolutely get you taken care of within a limited range of modifications to the vehicle. Like, perhaps an aftermarket air intake system or a larger exhaust is fine, but anything beyond that like a custom engine builds, a larger turbo, a WMI kit, you name it, Softronic is probably not going to have a tuning map/solution for you, and at least in my WMI Softronic experience, the guy seemed to have no desire to work with me i.e. getting some data-logs done with the WMI kit installed and email to him for tune/map adjustments to send back to me, etc. This is fairly standard and common practice for any remote tuning solution, regardless of the brand/manufacturer/software program/car/etc. Before my Cayenne, I had an Infiniti G37x tuned with EcuTek. Before I wrecked it and it was a total loss, I would data-log parameters with the awesome, easy-to-use EcuTek OBD2 module via Bluetooth to the paired app on my phone. Then I'd send my tuner all the requested parameters i.e. wideband AFRs, timing, engine loads, MAP/MAF sensor data, intake manifold pressure, throttle position, you name it/you know the drill. And I'd do whatever my tuner requested i.e. one set of logged data from a 0-60 WOT (wide open throttle) run, one set of data logged from like a 30mph-70mph on the highway run, stuff like that. Then he'd adjust the tune and send it back to me, usually with a noticeable difference. I expect much the same or similar type of process will be how we do things as I work with my chosen tuner: Promotive for my Cayenne Turbo 958.1.
Its a good thing you didn't want to bash a tuner you never used LOL. This is also a 997 thread and not Cayenne... Yes you did call me and asked if I would make a file for your Cayenne with WMI and I did say I didn't want to. You make many assumptions in your post from just a phone call on a company you had no other experience with on their qualifications. Its not that I don't have the knowledge and it doesn't require more to yet didn't want to start tuning a Cayenne that doesn't need it and often leads to more issues when the customer doesn't know how to set it up etc. There is no substitute for the correct fueling as WMI was often used with people that would buy 91 fuel and wanted to run 93 octane files. While you could run the 93 file it would still not generate the same HP as WMI takes up space in the combustion chamber..... At least all meth burns yet has other issues with AL and takes 25% more to equal petrol.

This is a link to 6Speed on a Cayenne I did with and without Meth and he is a Moderator with many posts :
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...hp-808-tq.html

He ended up with 800HP as a street driver and had to rebuild and change the trans as it couldn't handle it.

Another article from 2014 for 997TT Switzer car:
https://gtspirit.com/2014/02/25/swit...turbo-upgrade/

You can also search for Switzer Porsche in Google and we have tuned many others... So I don't think you can say I don't have the knowledge yet preferred not to tune the Cayenne with WMI.

The Cayman in the pic below in our sig was a 3.8 X51 engine conversion that I did for Napleton Porsche that won in the 2013 Daytona race with 485HP and no WMI...

These are a few things about myself:

I check the binary in the PCA Porsche racing for compliance and listed as a sponsor
Former PCA National Racing Scrutineer (Checked cars also mechanically for compliance and found most activity in the CUP Cars)

Made all Porsche Interseries files
Cars in World challenge
PCA Pirelli Series
GTB1
Daytona Cars and others
Assistance for countless Race teams in tuning, mechanics and at track etc

Porsche Master Tech
PCA and PCNA technical expert
Bosch Certified
Siemens Trained
Porsche club former National and Local officer and Editor

Written and been in articles as expert for: Car and Driver, Excellence, Panorama Magazine, Christophorous, Motor Trend and others on Porsche including a book with the late Bruce Anderson he updated. One outside of Porsche was with Albert Nofi "Marine Corps Book of Lists"

Texas Mile record cars
Moscow 500 etc

Expert in Porsche engine conversions and proper files made for cars 986,987,987.2,981 and 718. These would be as a rule the Boxster and Cayman cars receiving larger engines yet can also be in the 9 series. I added a pic of one yet its the outside so see if you notice what different in the body and as far as engine it received the 3.8X51 and was for Orbit Racing back in 2005.

and Im sure other ones I forgot....

Received 3.8 X51 engine for this 2006 Cayman in 2005 and see what is different in the front...

3.8 X51 to install in Cayman.

No only built and jet tuned this one yet just thought I would add as Ive built hundreds of race engines from air cooled to modern.

Best,
Scott

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Last edited by Softronic; 07-29-2022 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added pics and more info
The following 3 users liked this post by Softronic:
jlert (10-29-2022), rtl5009 (07-29-2022), Summerjack (08-24-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 07:02 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Softronic
Its a good thing you didn't want to bash a tuner you never used LOL. This is also a 997 thread and not Cayenne... Yes you did call me and asked if I would make a file for your Cayenne with WMI and I did say I didn't want to. You make many assumptions in your post from just a phone call on a company you had no other experience with on their qualifications. Its not that I don't have the knowledge and it doesn't require more to yet didn't want to start tuning a Cayenne that doesn't need it and often leads to more issues when the customer doesn't know how to set it up etc. There is no substitute for the correct fueling as WMI was often used with people that would buy 91 fuel and wanted to run 93 octane files. While you could run the 93 file it would still not generate the same HP as WMI takes up space in the combustion chamber..... At least all meth burns yet has other issues with AL and takes 25% more to equal petrol.

This is a link to 6Speed on a Cayenne I did with and without Meth and he is a Moderator with many posts :
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...hp-808-tq.html

He ended up with 800HP as a street driver and had to rebuild and change the trans as it couldn't handle it.

Another article from 2014 for 997TT Switzer car:
https://gtspirit.com/2014/02/25/swit...turbo-upgrade/

You can also search for Switzer Porsche in Google and we have tuned many others... So I don't think you can say I don't have the knowledge yet preferred not to tune the Cayenne with WMI.

The Cayman in the pic below in our sig was a 3.8 X51 engine conversion that I did for Napleton Porsche that won in the 2013 Daytona race with 485HP and no WMI...

These are a few things about myself:

I check the binary in the PCA Porsche racing for compliance and listed as a sponsor
Former PCA National Racing Scrutineer (Checked cars also mechanically for compliance and found most activity in the CUP Cars)

Made all Porsche Interseries files
Cars in World challenge
PCA Pirelli Series
GTB1
Daytona Cars and others
Assistance for countless Race teams in tuning, mechanics and at track etc

Porsche Master Tech
PCA and PCNA technical expert
Bosch Certified
Siemens Trained
Porsche club former National and Local officer and Editor

Written and been in articles as expert for: Car and Driver, Excellence, Panorama Magazine, Christophorous, Motor Trend and others on Porsche including a book with the late Bruce Anderson he updated. One outside of Porsche was with Albert Nofi "Marine Corps Book of Lists"

Texas Mile record cars
Moscow 500 etc

Expert in Porsche engine conversions and proper files made for cars 986,987,987.2,981 and 718. These would be as a rule the Boxster and Cayman cars receiving larger engines yet can also be in the 9 series. I added a pic of one yet its the outside so see if you notice what different in the body and as far as engine it received the 3.8X51 and was for Orbit Racing back in 2005.

and Im sure other ones I forgot....

Received 3.8 X51 engine for this 2006 Cayman in 2005 and see what is different in the front...

3.8 X51 to install in Cayman.

No only built and jet tuned this one yet just thought I would add as Ive built hundreds of race engines from air cooled to modern.

Best,
Scott

Boy, Softronic sure is after me! He finds every post I say anything negative about him and has to make a stink about it. Very interesting. Once again, the Softronic guy cannot tune for water methanol whereas Promotive can and will. That's why Softronic lost my business. He either doesn't know or doesn't care to learn how to tune for water meth or any more custom setups. Porsche and many other vehicles and platforms benefit all day long from a water meth injection kit, or nitrous, or E85 etc.

PS: that moderator Renn Man added methanol injection and gained even more power on his Cayenne. And I heard the back story or have some knowledge now about how Softronic split off from Promotive at some point. So there's bad blood out there. You can tell it's oozing out in these posts too.

Last edited by ElSpoon958; 08-23-2022 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:45 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 684 Likes on 325 Posts

I used Softronic, fast service, great tune, don’t have anything bad to say. Would 100% use Softronic again and would recommend friends.

Also, there’s a difference between can’t and won’t.
linderpat (08-27-2022)
Old 08-23-2022, 07:50 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 197 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ElSpoon958
Boy, Softronic sure is after me! He finds every post I say anything negative about him and has to make a stink about it. Very interesting. Once again, the Softronic guy cannot tune for water methanol whereas Promotive can and will. That's why Softronic lost my business. He either doesn't know or doesn't care to learn how to tune for water meth or any more custom setups. Porsche and many other vehicles and platforms benefit all day long from a water meth injection kit, or nitrous, or E85 etc.

PS: that moderator Renn Man added methanol injection and gained even more power on his Cayenne. And I heard the back story or have some knowledge now about how Softronic split off from Promotive at some point. So there's bad blood out there. You can tell it's oozing out in these posts too.
LOL, Not sure why I would be after you as we never did business together and not because I lost it to you yet didn't want to do it with you to begin with , your posts have shown why ....You like to cut down a company you have never dealt with so yes I would respond as your intentions are evident. Tell Tod I said hello to Protomotive , We have worked together on many applications and have no issues with him. I can post some videos....

Why Dont you work with your tuner and get what you want instead of going after others that have no transactions with you other than a phone call?
Best,
Scott

Quick Reply: 997 Engine Tuning