997 Engine Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022 | 07:54 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rtl5009
I used Softronic, fast service, great tune, don’t have anything bad to say. Would 100% use Softronic again and would recommend friends.

Also, there’s a difference between can’t and won’t.
Hello,
Thanks , Not sure what the issue is with the other poster.....

Best,
Scott

24HRS Daytona Winners programmed by Softronic!

Porsche Interseries programmed along with teamed owned Tudor and World Challenge cars in an exclusive with Softronic.
Porsche PCA racing binary check by Softronic for compliance.

Old 08-23-2022 | 09:21 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by Softronic
LOL, Not sure why I would be after you as we never did business together and not because I lost it to you yet didn't want to do it with you to begin with , your posts have shown why ....You like to cut down a company you have never dealt with so yes I would respond as your intentions are evident. Tell Tod I said hello to Protomotive , We have worked together on many applications and have no issues with him. I can post some videos....

Why Dont you work with your tuner and get what you want instead of going after others that have no transactions with you other than a phone call?
Best,
Scott
Scott- I am not trying to cut down your company. I am merely trying to educate or inform other Cayenne owners perhaps that might be in the market for aftermarket tuning solutions and cross-shopping options with different needs/goals in mind. I did in fact deal with you/your company and that's why I'm here to report about it, after the fact. I was *this close* to pulling the trigger on purchasing and using Softronic for my ECU tuning solution(s). However, I had maybe a little bit more "custom" tuning requirement(s) for my current and future goals than the average Porsche or Cayenne owner. Specifically, I want/wanted to select a tuner who was familiar, knowledgeable, and experienced with tuning for a WMI (water-methanol injection) kit, or straight meth. Especially being the fact that my engine (and many others) is a DI (direct injection) setup, you could sort of think of the water and/or meth injection as a pseudo port fuel injection option. There are so many potential benefits of running either some blend of water/meth or straight methanol, I am not sure that I need to get into all that here. But hey, maybe I do since it seems to be the main point of contention. I by no means am some kind of ECU tuning expert, but this isn't my first rodeo. I've owned and had many different vehicle platforms over the years. I also have friends who I've helped work on and build 4-digit horsepower performance vehicles i.e. BMW 335s, Supras, Corvettes, and GT-Rs. I have never once heard any reputable tuner anywhere on any forum in any scene or in at IRL performance shops up on in-house dynos say anything remotely as absurd about water/meth as Scott aka Softronic puts it.

Do you mean to tell me and the rest of the community that there is absolutely nothing to be gained from any tuning for a water/meth or straight meth kit? Nitrous? E85? Are you really going to sit here and tell everyone there's absolutely either A) no need or B) no reason to ever want to go down the path of adding or tuning for any of these additional fuel sources and their awesome power adding and cooling benefits?

The average customer probably never does this, hence why it's such an outlier, hence the reason Scott/Softronic cannot or will not work with you to tune your ECU for any of these aforementioned fuel sources. Because there is no demand. I imagine the average Porsche customer either A) keeps their car bone stock and or B) if and when they do tune it, a simple OTS (off the shelf) canned tune is good enough. The average customer goes, "OK cool, I tuned my ECU, I got an extra 70hp, I'm good". And that way, Softronic can stockpile enough simple easy tunes that don't require a lot of custom actual work to sit down and comb through data logs and fine tuning/adjust the flash file for your specific ECU. It's much easier to just collect the money from customers and turn around and offer a simple "one size fits all" solution while downplaying the benefits of something like Water Methanol Injection because DUH: it actually requires you to put more effort into the product you offer and sell to customers.

So there are the outliers, the few out there like me who do desire to do something "a little bit different" than your average customer. I like to be a little more unique. I like things off the beaten path. I like to try new things. You don't see many guys with the kind of project and power that Renn Man over at 6Speed did with his Cayenne, granted. But the fact remains that those people do and will continue to exist. So instead of getting off your butt and putting in a little actual work to tune the ECU properly for those customers who want to use your product, you turn around and bash the concept of Water Methanol Injection entirely with some incredulous logic about it taking up air intake space in the intake manifold? Really? What is port injection then? What about carb motors before fuel injection directly into the cylinders was ever a thing? This is a turbocharged engine too, not some low compression NA motor where you might be worried about drowning out or otherwise flooding the cylinders or intake with more fuel than air. Give me a break.

All I'm saying is just be honest: either tell customers you don't know HOW to tune an ECU properly if that customer wanted to use water meth or tell them maybe you need to charge extra because it'll actually require more work than a simple one-off ECU canned tune on an otherwise stock setup. Any reputable, quality vehicle tuner would never bash Water Meth, Nitrous, E85, or straight methanol. If you think people who make big power did it all on 91 octane pump gas while listening to the great logic of Softronic's "you ain't need no water meth! listen to me, I know best! here look at this car and that car I tuned for XXX horsepower that didn't use water meth!" philosophy, you're kidding yourself.

I happen to be a customer, or a potential customer who was planning on spending my hard earned money on Softronic. But just a simple conversation about the potential benefits of adding WMI to my setup and his either unwillingness or inexperience in tuning for it was enough of a turn-off for me to spend that money elsewhere. And you can see the anger or frustration from Scott/Softronic who follows me around now on all the forum posts where Softronic is mentioned and has to create a stirred-up drama fest attacking my posts because it affects his business, his income, his bottom line. He probably doesn't like the fact that I am calling him out on his BS. All I am and was saying was just be honest. Tell people you don't know how to tune for water meth so they can look elsewhere because clearly you're not the guy for the job for those customers. You don't have to try to act like you somehow know more or know something that every other tuner on the planet already knows: stuff like Water Meth (or straight meth) injection very simply is an awesome power-adder and has been used on TONS of other platforms with great success. Why does it work for everyone else, just not for you? I'm beating a dead horse, but we know why: because you don't know how to properly utilize or tune for it.

So Scott, just stop man. The majority of your customers are never going to install a WMI kit, so this shouldn't hurt your wallet so much, so just get over it.
Old 08-23-2022 | 09:41 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Nobody on the 997 thread gives a crap about a Cayenne methamphetamine injection. Move on please.

I can't understand why the Softronic guy didn't want to do business with you......oh wait.
The following 6 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
Busta Rib (08-25-2022), Jaws1 (08-23-2022), jlert (10-29-2022), linderpat (08-27-2022), myw (08-26-2022), rtl5009 (08-23-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-23-2022 | 10:05 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Nobody on the 997 thread gives a crap about a Cayenne methamphetamine injection. Move on please.

I can't understand why the Softronic guy didn't want to do business with you......oh wait.
Lol you don't even know what methanol injection is then, it seems.
Old 08-23-2022 | 10:08 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

LOL! You don't even know what thread hijacking is then, it seems.
LOL!

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 08-24-2022 at 09:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
linderpat (08-27-2022)
Old 08-23-2022 | 11:57 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
LOL! You don't even know what thread hijacking is them, it seems.
LOL!
Old 08-24-2022 | 07:11 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

While reading all of this, to me, it seems you claim that Scott lost your business, but in reality, he turned down your business. There is a difference. There’s signs in many restaurants and other businesses that state that they reserve the right to not serve you for any reason, and they don’t have to give you a reason or explanation. Same goes for Scott. He has a very good reputation in the tuning community, and I have never even purchased any of his products (although I know many that have).

Why do you insist on calling him out to insist on pressing him into a corner to give you a reason or admit something that he does not have to and is not required to? He has a right to ignore people he does not want to do business with. If you don’t like his attitude on this, move onto another tuning vendor. Simple. Why go into a 997 specific discussion forum to talk about an issue you have on your Cayenne? Why not discuss this in the Cayenne forum so that owners of the same vehicle as you can hear about Meth tuning if they are interested in that? I’m guessing you did that already but that this is not enough, so you came here? If anything, this hasn’t dissuaded me from ever doing business with Scott or his business one day if I do decide to tune my car. He’s handled his responses here with class while you are clearly trying to attack him and call him out in order to make him admit in front of everyone here something that he is not required to do for you. A business has a right to refuse service and he doesn’t have to give you a reason or time of day. Does Scott go around to various public forums to call you out in front of people to force an explanation out of you about your discussions with him? Please move on and get over it, or talk about your experience with 997s and we’ll be happy to listen cause we’re in a 997 forum, and this thread is titled 997 engine tuning which Scott’s company seems very good at.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 08-24-2022 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2022 | 09:18 AM
Butzi 997
Instructor

TLDgiveaFuchs...
The following users liked this post:
Scalp_em (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022 | 02:13 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

tell us more about your car that’s not represented in this sub form. We want to hear more, please tell us more.

Last edited by rtl5009; 08-25-2022 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2022 | 02:34 PM
Butzi 997
Instructor

Originally Posted by rtl5009
tell us more about your car that’s not represented in this sub form. We want to here more, please tell us more.
Really, it's not just that! I desperately want to know how he feels about the wrongs he's suffered at the hands of Big Tuning.

It's a problem, guys...
Old 08-24-2022 | 04:00 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Butzi 997
TLDgiveaFuchs...
Lol

I also give zero Fuchs about meth’ed out Cayenne’s
Old 08-24-2022 | 09:50 PM
Softronic
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hello All,
As long as Im on the the thread does anyone have any questions?

Best,
Scott
Old 08-24-2022 | 11:09 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Softronic
Hello All,
As long as Im on the the thread does anyone have any questions?

Best,
Scott
No, but nice job on the spidey senses and avoiding that mess! I think that relationship would have cost you $ in the long run and given you a massive headache.

Last edited by bgoetz; 08-24-2022 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2022 | 09:49 AM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Cool

Originally Posted by bgoetz
No, but nice job on the spidey senses and avoiding that mess! I think that relationship would have cost you $ in the long run and given you a massive headache.
Hooray Softronic, the best tuner ever! Haha really what happened was I put my money in someone else's pocket to do the same or better job of tuning my ECU.

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
While reading all of this, to me, it seems you claim that Scott lost your business, but in reality, he turned down your business. There is a difference. There’s signs in many restaurants and other businesses that state that they reserve the right to not serve you for any reason, and they don’t have to give you a reason or explanation. Same goes for Scott. He has a very good reputation in the tuning community, and I have never even purchased any of his products (although I know many that have).

Why do you insist on calling him out to insist on pressing him into a corner to give you a reason or admit something that he does not have to and is not required to? He has a right to ignore people he does not want to do business with. If you don’t like his attitude on this, move onto another tuning vendor. Simple. Why go into a 997 specific discussion forum to talk about an issue you have on your Cayenne? Why not discuss this in the Cayenne forum so that owners of the same vehicle as you can hear about Meth tuning if they are interested in that? I’m guessing you did that already but that this is not enough, so you came here? If anything, this hasn’t dissuaded me from ever doing business with Scott or his business one day if I do decide to tune my car. He’s handled his responses here with class while you are clearly trying to attack him and call him out in order to make him admit in front of everyone here something that he is not required to do for you. A business has a right to refuse service and he doesn’t have to give you a reason or time of day. Does Scott go around to various public forums to call you out in front of people to force an explanation out of you about your discussions with him? Please move on and get over it, or talk about your experience with 997s and we’ll be happy to listen cause we’re in a 997 forum, and this thread is titled 997 engine tuning which Scott’s company seems very good at.
I guess the world may never know what could have become of our relationship! You can make assumptions and infer whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. I know the email exchanges that were had. I would have given my business to Scott. He lost my business because he did not want to or know how to tune for water meth, which I was only talking about in hypotheticals or a future mod down the road as I did not yet have the kit installed in my Cayenne.

I fully understand everyone here is on the Softronic c-ride and loving every second of it. My only beef in all of this was and is the BS ridiculous reason or explanation Scott provides as to WHY he doesn't tune for water meth. That's all. It's ridiculously hard to make sense of BS reasoning about the water/meth "taking up space in the intake manifold" or something entirely confusing like that. Instead of just coming out and saying "Look guys I just don't know how to tune for water meth and I have rarely if ever done it, so I can't say I'd be able to tune your vehicle with it if you wanted to install it". IT'S THAT SIMPLE. But he has to go around following my every post where I talk about the negative experience I personally had with him trying to knock water/meth, nitrous, or E85 as having any potential cooling and power adding benefits for ANY vehicle, Porsche Cayenne, 997, or not.

Just be honest with potential customers. I have friends with 4-digit horsepower vehicles like Corvettes, GT-Rs, Supras, Vipers, etc who all laugh when I tell them this Porsche tuner, Softronic, said he doesn't recommend WMI and made up some retarded excuse as to why he doesn't recommend it, which makes little to zero sense to anyone who's been around aftermarket high power vehicle tuning. Does everyone here actually truly believe there are absolutely no benefits for E85 or nitrous either?

Hello,

Its just for flashing and data logging is not needed when the correct files are made to start with. The only time I data log would be for injectors or turbos etc I haven't already used for flow etc. I also do not recommend WMI as it just takes up space in the combustion chamber and there is no substitute for the correct octane gas if that was the intention for using it.

Best,

Scott
Literally the dumbest explanation for why someone wouldn't want to use WMI or any alternative fuel sources for that matter I've ever heard in my life. Especially when considering the cons of a DI engine and how much benefit guys with the N54/N55 BMW engines gained when adding port injection of some kind, whether that was a 50/50 water/meth or straight meth added as port injection, which is literally the whole point of "taking up space in the combustion chamber".... does anyone remember or know how carb engines function? lmao

Last edited by ElSpoon958; 08-25-2022 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-25-2022 | 10:07 AM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

I’m glad you are “lmao” at your own ignorance- Sorry bud- Your interpretation of what WMI isn’t correct. WMI primary function is literally to prevent detonation. A high octane fuel does this by itself, and is way more robust to dial in lambda.

WMI is a substitute where other fueling options aren’t available.

E85 will actually let you get past MBT and lay on all the timing you will even need. Ms109 will do the same just much more expensive.

when I used to be into built Audis (b5 s4) I would only be able to peak out at 17-19 degrees and on e I would be able to lay it on 33-34 with literally zero pull with factory knock calibrations

Last edited by rtl5009; 08-25-2022 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 997 Engine Tuning