Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts of moving to 997 from C6 Corvette Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 10:47 AM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 38 Posts

Amazingly to me, seriously, I bought my first 911 997.1 Carrera S in Portland OR, a Cali car, and then flew out there from Raleigh NC, with my wife, and we drove it back via the Oregon Coast, Bend, Boise, Park City, MoAb, Colorado river, Vail/Aspen and RMNP, into Boulder, that was 6 days, dropped wife Sunday night at DEN to fly home, as she had to work, and I drive this 11 hours to St Louis non stop, then after two nights to Knoxville TN, did Tail of the Dragon Thursday morning and get home Friday before the 4th of July. I loved every mile, and even have the Cabriolet, with the windscreen and windows up, in the mountains, music on, conversation no problem...

The best part was, from the moment I drove it away from sellers home, and headed to the coast, I felt as if I should of bought one of these 10 years ago, what was I thinking?

I spent 10 days trying test my limits, not really the 911, as its is just a great handling car on rails, even with PASM off, its really has a big window before you mess up.

That said, the comport level of the 911 was impressive too...usually my back hurts after days of driving...not this 911.

I feel like I have just scratched surface on knowing its limits, and used to ride & track motorcycles from Ducati, BMW's, KTM and MV Agusta...

Last edited by IrishWhiskey; 07-11-2022 at 10:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IrishWhiskey:
AdamB996 (08-24-2022), Scalp_em (07-11-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 04:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishWhiskey
Amazingly to me, seriously, I bought my first 911 997.1 Carrera S in Portland OR, a Cali car, and then flew out there from Raleigh NC, with my wife, and we drove it back via the Oregon Coast, Bend, Boise, Park City, MoAb, Colorado river, Vail/Aspen and RMNP, into Boulder, that was 6 days, dropped wife Sunday night at DEN to fly home, as she had to work, and I drive this 11 hours to St Louis non stop, then after two nights to Knoxville TN, did Tail of the Dragon Thursday morning and get home Friday before the 4th of July. I loved every mile, and even have the Cabriolet, with the windscreen and windows up, in the mountains, music on, conversation no problem...

The best part was, from the moment I drove it away from sellers home, and headed to the coast, I felt as if I should of bought one of these 10 years ago, what was I thinking?.
I think many of us have asked ourselves the same question. That drive home with the first 911 we've dreamed of is something that's memorable. My very first 911 was a 1970 911T which was bought from a dealer about a mile from where I lived so that doesn't count as a special drive home in my book. The first 997 ( -06 C4S) was bought on the east coast of Florida and I drove it back to my home on the west coast of FL so about 3 1/2 hours.

An absolute thrill in every aspect even though flat roads and not a lot of curves and needless to say, no hills. But that didn't matter. All that mattered was that I owned and drove the car I had longed for and I kind of wished the drive home had been longer.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:16 AM
dandaman19
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Power is like dating a stripper. Handling is like dating a model.
The following 3 users liked this post by dandaman19:
FC356 (07-16-2022), GTS Sully (07-17-2022), gutenfreibier (07-13-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 11:32 AM
BmacIL
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

You should definitely drive a 997. It is a dramatic difference to the Vette. The connected feel makes every drive, even errands for groceries, an event. On track they are just wonderful instruments.

You won't be satisfied with a base, IMO. Definitely get the S if you pull the trigger. Either will be great to sample to get an idea of what they're like.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:55 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

be wary of tracking a 997 - seems like a lot of chatter on here about what that does to the motor. I tracked mine with no issues, but I never checked for bore scoring etc (always got a clean Blackstone though). There seems to be a lot of engine drama surrounding these 997's. They are great drivers, but I moved out from under the drama, and no longer have mine. I miss it, a lot, but no longer worry about a $25 K motor rebuild, and so forth. I track my Shelby GT500 now. YMMV, and be aware of the things you read on the innernet
Old 07-12-2022, 02:09 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by BmacIL
You won't be satisfied with a base, IMO. Definitely get the S if you pull the trigger. Either will be great to sample to get an idea of what they're like.
I think the OP was open to getting a 997.2 base too which, imo, is superior in some ways to a 997.1 S. Very similar performance and much more reliable.

Originally Posted by linderpat
be wary of tracking a 997 - seems like a lot of chatter on here about what that does to the motor. I tracked mine with no issues, but I never checked for bore scoring etc (always got a clean Blackstone though). There seems to be a lot of engine drama surrounding these 997's.
Again, that other thread and post references an apprehension to tracking 997.1 cars, not 997.2 cars. Among the many improvements the 9A1 motors have over the M9x motors, a better oiling system was one of them. I wouldn't hesitate to track a 997.2.

Last edited by 850tgul; 07-12-2022 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:07 PM
harlanmott3
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

You are asking on a porsche forum, so likely you expect and maybe even want biased opinions. I'm going to be the dissenting voice here tho. I owned a 997.1 as well as a c6z51 and I preferred the c6, I would suggest you not move from a c6 to a base 997. I didn't find the interior to be worse compared to a base 997 (turbo is all leather but the base is cheap like the vette with plastic everywhere, finishes that scratches off and controls that wear away), and the 997 power is so much lower I always wanted more. The vette is faster on the street and faster on the track, its cheaper to work on, cheaper to insure, can track and drive home without worry, got great gas mileage too. The 997 is no more exclusive and you get more thumbs up and head turns in the vette too. I really think you should drive a couple before you make the switch, and I personally wouldn't make it again at all. You should know the 997 base has no real ability to add power outside the huge cost of going 4.0. I would take a 996tt over a 997 base if you can't step up to the 997tt. In line with the c6 for power and drives like the connected gocart you want. I can't imagine the cayman would be anything short of feeling like you wanted to get out and push it faster after owning the vette tho. No one is wrong to suggest the .2 over the .1 if you plan to track it or drive it really hard.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:52 PM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

The Interior of the C6 is dreadful...IMO..sorry, it just is. But I am biased, I think Detroit makes junky interiors in General, compared to a AUDI, they are 20 years behind.

And as far as exclusiveness goes, there are WAY WAY more C6 Vettes for sale, then 997.1/2's....in case that matters.

But good point on the price to fix/repair, it goes hand in hand with German made, German engineering, which is full circle, why the 911 is a great handling car. I too would actually buy a Mustang Shelby GT Track edition over a Vette as well...

Last edited by IrishWhiskey; 07-12-2022 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:58 PM
BmacIL
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
I think the OP was open to getting a 997.2 base too which, imo, is superior in some ways to a 997.1 S. Very similar performance and much more reliable.

Again, that other thread and post references an apprehension to tracking 997.1 cars, not 997.2 cars. Among the many improvements the 9A1 motors have over the M9x motors, a better oiling system was one of them. I wouldn't hesitate to track a 997.2.
Yeah fair enough. The engine performance is still slightly down even though it's only 10 hp (the 3.6 to 3.8 torque deficit more noticeable). Otherwise the 997.2 is going to be better in most areas.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:05 PM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

This article refers to the dynamics and DNA of the 911 in a very true assessment.

https://www.topgear.com/long-term-ca...r-pdk/report-8
The following users liked this post:
Scalp_em (07-12-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 05:07 PM
frederik
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 115 Posts

Be aware that the 997.1 is not very suitable on the track due to oil starvation issues. This can be mitigated by a deep sump and UAOS, but it's still not bulletproof. I don't want to drive my 996 on the track (same engine design). The 997.2 has a more robust engine design but for real track use, unfortunately you're looking at a much more expensive GT3.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:24 AM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

911 turbo is what fills that gap between the incredible power and civility, just like corvette you can trot around town, then you can put a foot in, and get to warp speeds, gotta pay up though.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:32 PM
Tenne997
AutoX

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I considered a c6 z06 but ultimately just couldn’t get over the fact that it’s just another corvette. Quick for sure but I was after more. To me the Porsche offers a special experience. I can’t help but grin every time I see it in the garage.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:36 PM
bberryj
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I’ve owned both.

Originally Posted by NoVACayman
First - I apologize if there is a thread similar to this, but I did a search and couldn't find one. Maybe I just suck at searching, but again, apologies.

I'm currently in a 6MT C6 Corvette Grand Sport. Really fun car with intoxicating power. I previously had a 981 Cayman, but sold that to get into my current house. I picked up the GS back in January, and while I cannot fault the handling, power, etc., I just don't get that "connected" feeling that I've had with previous cars. Despite suspension mods and "setting the car up," I still can't tell what the tires are doing. The car does exactly what I want from my input, but I'm not getting the same feeling in return.

I took a test drive in a 6MT 997.1 Cab, and despite it not being in the best condition and down on power vs the vette, I absolutely loved the inputs. I could actually feel what the tires were doing, and on top of that, the car felt like a go-cart. I'm now torn on whether I can deal with the lack of power (or get used to it) or to just accept the lack of steering feel with the vette and pretend that I never found that fantastic steering feel of the 997. I don't want to spend 997 Turbo money (or even S/GTS money), so it's have to either be a 997.1 (less likely issues with the 3.4L) or 997.2 base.

Anyone have experience moving from a C6 (or similar) to a 997?
  1. We have a 2007 Carerra S Cabriolet. We bought it in 2013 with 40k miles. It now has 77k. A lot of fun to drive. By far the least dependable and most expensive vehicle to maintain that I have ever owned. Tiptronic shifter had to be replaced. Very common. Motor mounts had to be replaced. Very common. Plastic water tube leaked and had to be replaced. Driver seat rails had to be replaced. Now the water pump has to be replaced. Very common. All the parts are very expensive and the work is difficult v because of engine location. If you get one be prepared to spend a lot on maintenance.
    We had a 2012 Grand Sport convertible. Loved driving it. Golf clubs and luggage in the trunk. Faster than the Porsche but I wasn’t comfortable driving it to its limits. Of course it’s limits were farther than the Porsche’s. Only kept it for a couple of years and 20k miles but no issues. Prior to it I had a 2000 C5 coupe. Bought new kept 7 years and 130,000 mile. Oil pressure sending unit went bad, very common problem.
    Prior to 997 we had an early Boxster. Fun to drive. We got it new. Alternator crapped out and electric part of ignition switch went bad. Alternator was under warranty. Switch came later. Dealership wanted $300 to fix switch. I took it out went to Bap Geon and matched it to a VW switch. $13 and 40 minutes later it was fixed.
    The Porsche is more fun, has a certain cachet that Vette doesn’t have. Holds resale value extremely well. Expensive to maintain.
The following users liked this post:
sburke91 (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 01:45 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,723 Likes on 4,276 Posts

Originally Posted by bberryj
  1. We have a 2007 Carerra S Cabriolet. We bought it in 2013 with 40k miles. It now has 77k. A lot of fun to drive. By far the least dependable and most expensive vehicle to maintain that I have ever owned. Tiptronic shifter had to be replaced. Very common. Motor mounts had to be replaced. Very common. Plastic water tube leaked and had to be replaced. Driver seat rails had to be replaced. Now the water pump has to be replaced. Very common. All the parts are very expensive and the work is difficult v because of engine location. If you get one be prepared to spend a lot on maintenance.
Wow, you're the first person I've ever seen post something like this regarding their 997. I have 2 or them and they're our most dependable vehicles. The 4 years my wife DD'd her 2005, it was even better and cheaper to run than our Infiniti. Tiptronic transmissions are nearly bullet perf, even when used on Cayennes with 500.hp that tow 10k pounds. I don't know a single 997 owner that's had to replace their seat rails, so some of these things you list as "very common" are anything but that.

Yes, motor mounts, water pumps, coolant reservoir, very common - seat rails and transmissions - very uncommon.

Quick Reply: Thoughts of moving to 997 from C6 Corvette Grand Sport