Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts of moving to 997 from C6 Corvette Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 02:10 PM
bberryj
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn’t say the seat rails were common. The Tiptronic shifter being difficult to shift is ver common. Just Google it you’ll see.
No need to be defensive. That’s just the way these cars are.
I know of no other vehicle where it’s common knowledge that water pumps should be replaced around 50k miles as preventative maintenance.
There’s even a poll being conducted in this forum, does your 997 have bore scoring.
I forgot to mention that I had to replace several sensors in the door, windows and top along with hydraulic cylinders to raise and lower top.
The cars are great to drive but expensive to own.
I like working on cars. I have a lift, Durametric software and shop manual for my car.
Rennlist is a great resource for information about our cars.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:06 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,724 Likes on 4,277 Posts

Originally Posted by bberryj
I didn’t say the seat rails were common. The Tiptronic shifter being difficult to shift is ver common. Just Google it you’ll see.
No need to be defensive. That’s just the way these cars are.
I know of no other vehicle where it’s common knowledge that water pumps should be replaced around 50k miles as preventative maintenance.
There’s even a poll being conducted in this forum, does your 997 have bore scoring.
I forgot to mention that I had to replace several sensors in the door, windows and top along with hydraulic cylinders to raise and lower top.
The cars are great to drive but expensive to own.
I like working on cars. I have a lift, Durametric software and shop manual for my car.
Rennlist is a great resource for information about our cars.
Didn't think I was being defensive, just sharing a mostly opposite experience with mine I'm like you...lift, Durametric Pro, all DIY, etc and haven't had any of my cars into a shop outside of a manufacturer recall in at least a decade.

My GNC Sierra pickup is on its 4th water pump at 220k miles and glad I bought the 1st replacement from Napa as all the subsequent ones have been free.

Outside of tires and more expensive oil, these cars are not expensive to run IMO, especially for a DIY'r. I out more money and time into my daughter's BMW x5 in the 18 months we owned it than I put into all of my other Porsches combined - luckily it was just totalled a month ago and the Audi Q5 3.2L replacement should be much better.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:23 PM
bberryj
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default You weren’t defensive.

I reread your reply. You weren’t defensive. I apologize. I guess I was expecting to be raked over the coals for blasphemy.
Our maintenance experiences are very different.
My Porsche may have been built after a long Oktoberfest weekend by a hung over party animal.
What does it say about the driving experience that I still love it?
The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 04:35 PM
Tenne997
AutoX

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Certainly, many specialized vehicles are known for having their own issues. One doesn’t need to look very long at a C6 Z06 before you realize it would be wise to factor in rebuilding the heads as preventative maintenance as well. BMW adds rod bearings to theirs. They all have their own unique issues for sure. I guess it comes down to which one does it all for you and feels special to own.
The following users liked this post:
pro1200 (07-19-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 08:23 PM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenne997
Certainly, many specialized vehicles are known for having their own issues. One doesn’t need to look very long at a C6 Z06 before you realize it would be wise to factor in rebuilding the heads as preventative maintenance as well. BMW adds rod bearings to theirs. They all have their own unique issues for sure. I guess it comes down to which one does it all for you and feels special to own.
This. I think across all the major sports car segments (aside from the F-cars and upward) the costs probably net out about the same over some period of time. It's all about which hole the $$ are going down and how early they start going.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:46 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 116 Posts

Because of this thread I’ve spent too long looking at a C5 Z06 or C6 Z06 as a second car.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by bberryj
The TIP is a regular automatic with a manual option that can hardly be described as "difficult". What's difficult about it? Never owned a TIP Porsche but I drove a TIP 997 once. Bored me stiff. In auto mode I could have been in a Buick or a Prius as far as I'm concerned. Sorry...don't understand.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:54 AM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 38 Posts

2005-2008 BMW Turbos had Turbo failures/Wastegate issues that were a easy $3K out of warranty...otherwise a great motor

Quick Reply: Thoughts of moving to 997 from C6 Corvette Grand Sport