car overheats at the track

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 08:14 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Attached are pictures of my front bumper. The cut outs start at the back edge of the center radiator and extend fully to each side of that radiator. The cowl forces air either through the center radiator or off to the side radiators. There's no obvious escape path to bypass a radiator. I don't think there's a reasonable way to increase that flow without going GT.
That looks perfect!
Old 06-21-2022, 12:40 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by swoardrider;[url=tel:18201572
18201572[/url]]I just pulled the trigger on the RR-Racing deep sump pan. I’ll report back once I test it out on the track.

Not sure if it’s too late, but if the UIDS oil pans fits your car, I believe it can help solve 2 problems, one being the ability to hold a bit more oil.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:14 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Not sure if it’s too late, but if the UIDS oil pans fits your car, I believe it can help solve 2 problems, one being the ability to hold a bit more oil.

The OP and I have 997.2 (9a1 engine), so, from everything I’ve read, we have no oil starvation issues at high G loads. Also, I’ve read ( but not confirmed) that the 9a1 sits higher in the chassis so ground clearance isn’t as much of a problem running a deep sump. The 996/997.1 engines have well known oil starvation issues and oil pan ground clearance issues. In this case, it’s my opinion that the UIDS oil pan is a much better option than the RR or LN deep sump pans. But I’m no engineer.

one of my mechanics recommended the deep sump as a partial fix to the high engine oil and DCT temps, so I got them installed today. Ultimately I will probably end up with CSF radiators too, per my mechanic’s recommendation, as Porsche never designed my car to run hard track speeds in California summer where the heat coming off the track asphalt can easily exceed 120°.

removing fans, excess bumper material, AC condenser, etc, is fine for a spec race car that doesn’t ever see the street, and race rules don’t allow aftermarket radiator solutions. For me, I prefer to pay for “the right tool for the job” if the factory radiators can’t keep up. Deep sumps and CSF radiators are a lot cheaper than new engines.

The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (06-22-2022)

Quick Reply: car overheats at the track