Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car overheats at the track

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 11:34 AM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I remember back when I had my 997 (3d radiator, low temp thermostat, 2Q deep sump, bumper cut out with screens...) I never seen anything above 245F on my SOLO DL. I used Motul 300. A few things I would look also:
1. How much time do you spend above 6-7k RPM? Upshift as you can. Go to 5th on straight to cool off. I know it is more work to go 3d later but it does help.
2. Cut some more opening in wheel liners to allow more air thorough radiators. Remove one FAN. LN has a kit for that.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:36 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Thanks. I will definitely add the larger oil cooler to the to-do list.
Doesn't look like a DIY though (at least for my technical skills)
It's still possible to get high oil temps with the larger unit. Depending on how many track days you have lined up that it may make more sense to go with delete cap and external cooler instead.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:02 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by kisik
I remember back when I had my 997 (3d radiator, low temp thermostat, 2Q deep sump, bumper cut out with screens...) I never seen anything above 245F on my SOLO DL. I used Motul 300. A few things I would look also:
1. How much time do you spend above 6-7k RPM? Upshift as you can. Go to 5th on straight to cool off. I know it is more work to go 3d later but it does help.
2. Cut some more opening in wheel liners to allow more air thorough radiators. Remove one FAN. LN has a kit for that.
Can you link to the ln fan delete? I see the Bilt cooling ducts, but not a fan delete. Unless this is the delete and it's part of that kit....

Cw
Old 06-15-2022, 11:28 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input. Let's summarize:
  • Oil temps > 275 is where mostly everyone seems to draw the line
  • I'll remove the screens and open up the lower cutout
  • I'll hold off on replacing the waterpump at this time
  • I need a GT3 (sigh)

Old 06-15-2022, 02:03 PM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 84 Posts

To me it sounds like you're experiencing the same issues I have had with 987.2's and a PDK.

The first thing I did was add the TPC PDK cooler kit. This helped but in August here at VIR I still have overheating issues.

Then I added the 997 turbo oil cooler, and an external power steering cooling.

This setup has worked OK but we still overheat in August when pushed hard.

I wish I would have installed an electric power steering unit instead of doing the power steering cooler, that might be next on my list.

I have also been told to run a PDK gear fluid cooler, which requires adding a pump, that is also a consideration I am having.

Other GTB1P Cayman racers might have more advice, but that is my experience with these cars, while not the same cars, they do have the same issue due to the Gen 1 PDK gearboxes.

Best of luck!

--Aaron (also Rennpart)

knsbrakes.com | Phone: 919-420-0021 | Email: sales@knsbrakes.com

Last edited by KNSBrakes; 06-15-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:33 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

track day In Laguna-Seca today with HOD
10 minutes into the session the temps were:
  • Oil: 265F
  • Coolant 235F
I drove back to the pits, went out for another session with the same results and then and called it a day
On the way home the temps were normal (195 / 185)

Outside tnmp was ~90F
The oil and coolant temps were measured with an AIM Solo-DL connected to the CAN bus
The car is a 2009 C4S
I already have
* 3rd radiator
* external PDK cooler

Any ideas what else I could do?
larger capacity sump seems to be an easy DIY. Does that help, seems like it should. 2 extra quarts sounds like good thing
Old 06-16-2022, 04:45 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
larger capacity sump seems to be an easy DIY. Does that help, seems like it should. 2 extra quarts sounds like good thing
I have a deep sump in my car and it certainly delays (but does not prevent) the oil getting hot. I got both the 3rd radiator and the deep sump installed at the same time, so I don't know which one is more effective. I would have guessed the third radiator though.

Anyhow, I have not experienced anything as dramatic as the OP, certainly not after just 10 minutes of a session.
Since I had the 3rd radiator installed my oil temps have not gone beyond 250 (on the stock instrument), and even that is reached only on a hot day after 30 minutes.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:09 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I just pulled the trigger on the RR-Racing deep sump pan. I’ll report back once I test it out on the track.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:12 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,110 Posts

One thing that might help: there are times when the cars are sitting, idling in heat, waiting to go out there. Some ‘warm up’ the car too. I recommend waiting until the last minute to start your car, and if you’re in line waiting, go ahead and power her down, especially if it’s already warm and it’s hot outside. It might buy you a few extra laps or 5 mins on the track. So will a larger capacity sump (more oil takes longer to heat up than less oil).
Old 06-17-2022, 12:05 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Extra deep sump (I had Mantis unit) doesn't cure overheating issue but rather "buys" extra 5-7 minutes as it was pointed out by roadie13.
Our cars should stay within 250F.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:04 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts

My 2010 C4S PDK was a year early for the factory center radiator. On hot summer days in the thin air of the Sierra mountain passes I could see almost 275F on the oil. This was high RPM high load low gear fun.

Recently I added the center radiator. I've had a chance for a bit of fun but nothing quite like the previous Sierra trips. So my next sentence is approximate. It would seem the center radiator cuts about 25F from the upper end of the oil temperature.

I'm curious about adding a manual switch for the fans and possibly deleting one fan to improve flow, but the relatively low speed situation I found the oil heating in would probably be best served with both fans operational.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:48 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

I'm curious about adding a manual switch for the fans and possibly deleting one fan to improve flow, but the relatively low speed situation I found the oil heating in would probably be best served with both fans operational.
Cut out the bumper bottom more and just use the Motorsport thermostat and delete one fan. No need to add a switch.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:48 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Cut out the bumper bottom more and just use the Motorsport thermostat and delete one fan. No need to add a switch.
Any codes thrown if I simply remove the fan? Do I add a resistor?

I looked at LN per a previous post but couldn't find a lot there.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:55 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Any codes thrown if I simply remove the fan? Do I add a resistor?

I looked at LN per a previous post but couldn't find a lot there.
If you have a 997.2, you should not need a deep sump but you can install the lower temperature thermostat easily. Most people with the 3rd radiator do not cut out enough of the bottom of the bumper to achieve proper venting and they cover the radiators with very restrictive screens. No codes for me after eliminating one fan but I wouldn't do that for a street car.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:42 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
If you have a 997.2, you should not need a deep sump but you can install the lower temperature thermostat easily. Most people with the 3rd radiator do not cut out enough of the bottom of the bumper to achieve proper venting and they cover the radiators with very restrictive screens. No codes for me after eliminating one fan but I wouldn't do that for a street car.
I don't think the 997.2 has a deep sump option. There isn't even room for a skid plate. Our local back roads contain transitions where the OEM pan can drag so I don't think I'd want to be lower.

The LTT helps guard the 997.1 cars against bore scoring during warm up. It may be that the 997.2s could be protected against cold seizure caused by their closed deck design but I haven't seen anything to support that. In the meantime, once the oil reaches high temperatures I would guess that flow rates would be the same with OEM or low temperature thermostats.

Attached are pictures of my front bumper. The cut outs start at the back edge of the center radiator and extend fully to each side of that radiator. The cowl forces air either through the center radiator or off to the side radiators. There's no obvious escape path to bypass a radiator. I don't think there's a reasonable way to increase that flow without going GT.

Anyway, my temps seem to be lower with the center radiator even if they are higher than others experience. Maybe my oil temp sender is out of calibration ...

This is a street car. I'll keep both fans intact per your suggestion ... Thank you for your input 😀
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Hatzenbach (06-21-2022)

Quick Reply: car overheats at the track