Sponsored by:

997.1 Tires - advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 04:37 PM
setch
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 Tires - advice

It's time for some new summer tires. I am currently running michelin pilot sport N2 tires - 235/35/zr19 (87Y) & 305/30/zr19 (102Y).

I did some research and found a few rising to the top of the heap - pilot sport 4s, pilot sport PS2 (despite being N rated, these don't seem to be as well liked as the 4s), continental extreme sport contact...and then bridgestone potenza RE050A (N rated & 87Y, all others are 91Y) and bridgestone potenza sport.

I do not track the car...

I'd be interested in any 1st-hand experiences you have with these and what your pick would be from the above set, or others.

I'm considering purchasing locally as I found a shop that is a touch cheaper than TireRack, which is the cheapest I have found online. Am I missing any retailers to look at?

Last edited by setch; 04-18-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:08 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts

If you aren't tracking, I love my PS4S. I would go as far to say that at 5 years of use, they are the best tires I have had since 1992 including everything from NT01s to P Zeros and in-between. The only other tire I am thinking about when I have to get tires soon are Cup 2s but I know they are overkill. However, they do have a bit stiffer sidewall and therefore overall width when put next to the PS4S in the same sizes. The compound is also a bit better for the type of person that does HPDEs and pushes a bit harder on "spirited" drives. On the other hand, I drive up into rain and some snow in the sierra foothills, so the PS4S lends itself to inclement weather better than Cup2s as well.
The following users liked this post:
Butzi 997 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 06:22 PM
dandaman19
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Indy told me the continentals lasted longer than the Michelins.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:24 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Pro tip!!! Consider going to Costco for your new Pilot Sport 4S’s. I got a great deal on mine. A few things yo remember. If you do not have a membership you will have to sign up for one. I think you can order them on line but you can not call Costco to order them, you have to walk inside and pay for them.

They do not do 4 wheel alignment’s you will have to go somewhere after having them installed.

Last edited by BaileyII; 04-18-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:21 PM
setch
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jamesinger
If you aren't tracking, I love my PS4S. I would go as far to say that at 5 years of use, they are the best tires I have had since 1992 including everything from NT01s to P Zeros and in-between. The only other tire I am thinking about when I have to get tires soon are Cup 2s but I know they are overkill. However, they do have a bit stiffer sidewall and therefore overall width when put next to the PS4S in the same sizes. The compound is also a bit better for the type of person that does HPDEs and pushes a bit harder on "spirited" drives. On the other hand, I drive up into rain and some snow in the sierra foothills, so the PS4S lends itself to inclement weather better than Cup2s as well.

That makes sense from what I have read.

I have an older set of pilot sport N2s, which pre-date the 4s, Cup 2s, etc., but have the same tread as the Cup 2s. They are pretty awesome, even at end-of-life.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:34 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts

I would also say the PS4S are better than pilot sports but the car and sizes I was running on the two different tires is completely different (i.e. 255 squared rather than the 235/305s).
...but yeah, I am really impressed by current Michelins. I have also driven extensively on Cup2s but only in nice weather on a 997.2 GT3.
Last last last, sorry...I will set my cold pressures at 29/33 and then drive 500 miles or so to my mom's, which includes freeways, roads, canyons, mountains, and all different kinds of terrain from concrete and asphalt to gravel and dirt. I will park the car for a week and then drive home over the same terrain and etc. Usually the day after, I will check my pressures...29/33. Maybe I have been unlucky but these tires hold pressure and are just straight up better in every way than any other tires I have ever run. I have also run PS4S on lobster forks and GT3 wheels.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:37 AM
TheMurse
Racer

Received 592 Likes on 177 Posts

I’m running Michelin PS4S in 235/35 19 and 305/30 19 only my Carrera 4 and I’m thrilled with them. They replaced the Continental Extreme Contact Sport, tires which simply didn’t last. On a fresh alignment and rear suspension set to factory camber the rears only lasted about 16k miles (April 2021 to February 2022) before wearing down to the cords on the inner tread, and this is with no tracking, no auto-x, no HPDE. I know these cars eat tires but I was disappointed in the Conti’s longevity. The fronts showed minimal wear over the same mileage.

Costco had a great deal on Michelin tires, ordered and installed within about three days, and only lacked a lift low enough for my car, requiring me to bring them the wheels only.

The Michelin PS4S is quiet, feels like it has a much stiffer sidewall than the Continentals, grips a bit better in the wet and low 40s I’m forced to drive in all too often, and looks meatier on the car than the Continentals.

Previously I’ve run Pirelli PZero all-seasons but on my 911 my experience with max performance summer rubber is with the extreme contact sport and the PS4S. Until I give in and buy a set of winter wheels/tires I think I’ll stick with Michelin.
Butzi 997 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 07:48 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,597 Likes on 4,195 Posts

I run 255 and 325 Nitto Invos on my 997 and love them. Also run them on both my 928s and have a set in the garage for my 915 too.

Tread pattern is cool, dry grip is superb, wet grip is good unless you do stupid stuff, wear is great, and pricing better than the others. I'll keep buying these as long as they keep making them.

Last edited by Petza914; 04-19-2022 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:06 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Pilot Sport 4S for me ... Excellent tires ....Super quiet also ...Worth the $$
Old 04-20-2022, 09:22 AM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by setch
It's time for some new summer tires. I am currently running michelin pilot sport N2 tires - 235/35/zr19 (87Y) & 305/30/zr19 (102Y).

I'm considering purchasing locally as I found a shop that is a touch cheaper than TireRack, which is the cheapest I have found online. Am I missing any retailers to look at?
I had used MPS4S tires on my 997.1S and found them to be excellent on the street and fairly okay on the track (I have since upgraded). They are made in a large variety of sizes. They wore well although I heat cycled them out on track. Did very well in rainy sessions too.

I assume you have OEM 8" wide front wheels? That limits you to 235 width. I noticed you are one size up in the rear over the stock "standard". I thought the ideal setups were 235/295 and 245/305 but I could be wrong. I went to 9" wide fronts to get past that limitation.

"I do not track the car..." - Why not give it a try? You really don't know what you are missing out in this car until you try. Most PCA regions/chapters offer an introductory Driver Class (one day) that exposes you to handling, braking, and modest track speeds. At a minimum you will become a better and safer driver. I am now a regular HPDE driver (warning - slippery slope) and really enjoy it. There is no safe or legal way to fully appreciate these cars without getting on the track - at least once. IMO the real danger is driving "like you stole it" on the street.

I have had great success buying all my tires through a local shop that is very knowledgeable, even with track tires. Pricing is as good as or better than TR. Maybe there is one near you? That way you can develop a relationship and get some advice.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:16 AM
Butzi 997
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurse
Previously I’ve run Pirelli PZero all-seasons but on my 911 my experience with max performance summer rubber is with the extreme contact sport and the PS4S. Until I give in and buy a set of winter wheels/tires I think I’ll stick with Michelin.
It's really hard to beat Michelins on our cars, somehow they just work. I guess development is a real thing.

Bought my car with some Hankook Ventus tires and was happy until I bought used wheels and PSS from a friend. Transformed the handling and feedback. Wore out the PSS in mixed street and track driving that year (they were already 6 yrs old) and loved them. Bought Hankook RS4s for the track the next year and the front end was completely numb. Was able to sell them to a friend (sorry Hankook.)

PS4S now for the street, although they were also used on track last year. Very happy. I can also recommend Pilot Sport All-Seasons as well, Murse. Bought them for last winter here in KY, not a lot of snow and ice, but some, and 4-5 mo. of well-below optimum temps for the PS4S.
TheMurse (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 11:44 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

4s is hard to beat as a street tire.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:47 AM
setch
8th Gear

Originally Posted by steveP911
I have had great success buying all my tires through a local shop that is very knowledgeable, even with track tires. Pricing is as good as or better than TR. Maybe there is one near you? That way you can develop a relationship and get some advice.
SteveP911...I see that you are in SS MD. I'm in NoVA. Any chance the local shop you are referencing is Radial Tire in SS? That is who I am considering.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:15 AM
KennyT993
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Anything lasts longer than Michelins...
Old 04-21-2022, 03:59 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by setch
SteveP911...I see that you are in SS MD. I'm in NoVA. Any chance the local shop you are referencing is Radial Tire in SS? That is who I am considering.
Yes, that is it. I recommend them highly. Many of the PCA Potomac drivers have been using them for years. See if you can talk to Paul, earlier in the week. He was the one who pointed out the Continental ExtremeContactForce tires I am now using (and liking).

Good luck!

PS - OP, I don't know where you are but maybe you can find someplace similar. Check with your local PCA chapter and see if there is someone in the DE leadership who can make a suggestion. Are you a PCA member? It is a fantastic resource.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Tires - advice