Sponsored by:

997.1 Tires - advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 06:31 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I run 255 and 325 Nitto Invos on my 997 and love them. Also run them on both my 928s and have a set in the garage for my 915 too.

Tread pattern is cool, dry grip is superb, wet grip is good unless you do stupid stuff, wear is great, and pricing better than the others. I'll keep buying these as long as they keep making them.

Pete how are these pricewise to the 4S? Thats a cool tread design on yours.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:13 PM
setch
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am going with the 4s.

My rear tires are the old pilot sport N2s, dated 08/16, but with nice tread left. What do you think of running these with new 4s's in the front, again on a c4s?
Old 04-23-2022, 06:17 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts

It is a porsche 911 and the front tires are the cheapest of the 4. It is so nice and luxurious to me to run all new tires. Live a little. It is also safer, so maybe live longer?
Old 04-23-2022, 09:58 PM
jfmartin25
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had a set of Continental Extreme Contacts put on at my local Porsche Dealership, and I couldn't be happier! They are sticky, smooth, quiet and compared to Pirelli's or Michelin's, they were much less expensive!
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (11-02-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 01:23 PM
lucian95
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had Vredesteins on my Carrera 997.2 4 Cab (manual)-they were getting old. OK tires for daily driving. Just bought Michelin SP 4S. They are not actually N rated (no need for N rating, unless you want to keep oficial Porsche certification running), but the change in driving feel is perceptible. Yes, they are new tires, but I get less noise from drivetrain and kind of a softer feeling and they stick like glue around the bends. I went for Michelins purely on the basis of Tirerack user ratings. I use Michelin Supersports on Panamera GTS, and they are also very good.

Last edited by lucian95; 04-25-2022 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:15 PM
pepperpepper
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm VERY satisfied thus far with the new Bridgestone Potenza Sports. There were some Michelin N spec tires on the car when I bought it, these are a bit quieter, ride better, contribute to wonderful steering feel and have a very nice grip quality. They break traction very progressively but have pretty high levels of grip from the outset.
tegraphile (10-17-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:23 AM
TrondGT4
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PS4s is not a proper tire for the GT4. Its too soft in comparison to Cup2 and destroys the driving charateristics of the GT4 when the car is driven to what it is capable for. I have the PS4s on M cars and it is a fantastic tire with excellent properties when in wet conditions, but it will not take heat well and becomes too soft when reaching its limits compared to Cup2. So if the GT4 is used for lurking around town on PS4s I suggest to sell the GT4 and buy another car for that purpose.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:51 AM
IrishWhiskey
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 37 Posts

I just bought a 997.1 Carrera S with newer Michelin PS4S's with about 4K on them and I must say, I am super impressed with this tire feel and handling. Mountains, city, rain, highway, all good. They are also wearing excellent IMO.

The seller of the car told me when he bought it had the Pirelli PZero with 50% tread and he put 5K on them and then put on PS4S's said he loved them way better than the PZero. I just drove mine from the Oregon Coast to the East coast, 4000 miles, via National Parks (Mountains) and also Midwest (Long 4-6 hour days on interstate flat and straight and then the Smokeys and Tail of the Dragon at 7AM...I must say, the side walls and grip are just beyond very good.

Until this car, I loved the Continental Extreme Contact Summer tires on my BMW M3, also had them on a MB SL 55 AMG, and though they did wear a bit faster then a regular year round performance tire, the grip and stopping and cornering were excellent, and those are heavy cars IMO. I did try a set of Hankook Ventus on the M3, for the track, they were not as stable at high speed cornering, but for the money, were very good,

I dont think you can go wrong with Michelin, and I have no intention of changing them to another type/brand when they need replacing. If I did, I would head to the Extreme Contacts I think...

Price is a second factor in tires to me, performance and stability is more important in cars you are pushing your limits, or the cars limits...

I also tracked motorcycles and road dual sports long distance in mountains and fire trails etc, and had to have a 50/50 tire, where you always have to compromise. The most important factor with just two wheels was grip on rough surface and also highway rain/wet stopping, and good cornering in the twisties......the larger the tread, the more important grip becomes.

Last edited by IrishWhiskey; 07-13-2022 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2022, 03:36 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 154 Posts

I just did my first HPDE at Roebling on aging (2017 date code but plenty of tread) Cup 2s (2010 C2S). I was fully set to replace them with PS4S until I took the Cup 2s on the track. They were exceptionally good, but I don't have much to compare to. The Cup 2s are pretty lousy in the rain but the 911 isn't my daily so that may not be a huge concern. The price is somewhat off-putting, given that the Cup 2s are about 30% more expensive and last maybe half as long. I am planning on doing 2-3 DEs per year.

Can anyone comment on how the PS4S is on a track? I'm not concerned about losing a little bit of time but I was very impressed at how predictable the Cup 2s were. I dropped pressure to 28PSI and they were about 35 when hot. Still more work to do on dialing in the right pressures but that's for a future DE.

Thanks in advance for the input!

edit: found and reading this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...s-i-track.html

Last edited by cbredesen; 10-17-2022 at 03:56 PM. Reason: found a thread semi-answering my question
Old 11-01-2022, 10:53 PM
tegraphile
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 68 Posts

Looking to replace Ventus Evo2 on my 997.1 C2S.

Tire Rack has the newly release (2022 model) Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 available. With manufacturer rebate and credit card CB, I can get them for about 25% less than the PS4S. TR head-to-head rates the first generation tire as solid all round, maybe slightly more comfort in exchange for less sportiness and falls second to the 4S in max summer category.

This is a weekend car used for errands around town and and canyon carving. Thoughts?

Tire Rack
jfmartin25 (11-02-2022)

Quick Reply: 997.1 Tires - advice