Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving the P car in the salt and snow...real advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022 | 01:36 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ekam
Do you think leaving your vehicle (that is designed to be driven instead of sitting for long periods) sitting for 6 months at a time will do it any good?

Fcar guys do that, but they do minor & major services by time period not by mileage.
More like 4 months but I agree that parking a car for long periods is not ideal but I do think it beats the alternative in my part of the country. Lake Speed has essentially said the same for cold climate stored cars; put it away properly and don’t touch it until spring. “Properly” to me means giving the car a full wash right before it goes in storage, where it sits on flat spot preventers and with trickle charger connected in a garage. Frequent oil changes with a high quality oil also helps. I’ve been following this procedure for the better part of 15 years in New England and have never had any issues with corrosion or other potential issues caused long storage periods like prematurely worn components.
The following users liked this post:
unclemat (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022 | 01:45 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Always best exercising your car regularly and not letting it sit for months at a time.

Old 02-22-2022 | 01:58 PM
unclemat
Pro

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Always best exercising your car regularly and not letting it sit for months at a time.
True, but given the alternative of exposing it to salt, it's best option for its longevity.

Best to move where they don't salt effing roads.
The following 2 users liked this post by unclemat:
850tgul (02-22-2022), BmacIL (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022 | 02:12 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unclemat
True, but given the alternative of exposing it to salt, it's best option for its longevity.

Best to move where they don't salt effing roads.
+1 and not to sound like a broken record but it's so much more than just the salt. The state of the roads in an areas like New England right now is just awful. On some roads it's literally like an HPDE event dodging cones trying to avoid the potholes. The expansion and contraction of the pavement brought about by the temperature swings of the seasons, and the constant salting and plowing just destroys the pavement. It usually takes until some time in March before they fill them all in. I just bent the hell out of 2 my E-class wheels last week. Not a big deal on that car but if I bent one of my Sport Classics, I'd be pissed.

Whenever I visit a warmer climate I am always amazed at how nice the roads are. If you've never been to a climate with brutal winters, you don't really know how bad the road conditions are this time of year.

Last edited by 850tgul; 02-22-2022 at 02:13 PM.
frybear (02-23-2022)
Old 02-22-2022 | 02:16 PM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Originally Posted by ekam
Do you think leaving your vehicle (that is designed to be driven instead of sitting for long periods) sitting for 6 months at a time will do it any good?

Fcar guys do that, but they do minor & major services by time period not by mileage.
The bore scoring issue is due to people hammering the cars when cold instead of warming them keeping the revs under 3k. Plus cylinder liners are crap and get flushed with idling
Old 02-22-2022 | 02:25 PM
unclemat
Pro

Originally Posted by 850tgul
+1 and not to sound like a broken record but it's so much more than just the salt. The state of the roads in an areas like New England right now is just awful. On some roads it's literally like an HPDE event dodging cones trying to avoid the potholes. The expansion and contraction of the pavement brought about by the temperature swings of the seasons, and the constant salting and plowing just destroys the pavement. It usually takes until some time in March before they fill them all in. I just bent the hell out of 2 my E-class wheels last week. Not a big deal on that car but if I bent one of my Sport Classics, I'd be pissed.

Whenever I visit a warmer climate I am always amazed at how nice the roads are. If you've never been to a climate with brutal winters, you don't really know how bad the road conditions are this time of year.
Winter is harsh and such road require more frequent maintenance, something the hell hole called Massachusetts does not really do. Compare to NH, where the climate is as bad or worse, and roads are notably better.

Then there is quality of road construction - it is crap here in Murica, and particularly in Northeast. You can build better roads that will last longer (and save money) but that's not how things are done here. Heck, they repaved a road in front of our MA house. It was ****ing wavy from day #1, because the road roller guy could not be bothered to drive slow.
Old 02-22-2022 | 02:46 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unclemat
Winter is harsh and such road require more frequent maintenance, something the hell hole called Massachusetts does not really do. Compare to NH, where the climate is as bad or worse, and roads are notably better.
Then there is quality of road construction - it is crap here in Murica, and particularly in Northeast. You can build better roads that will last longer (and save money) but that's not how things are done here. Heck, they repaved a road in front of our MA house. It was ****ing wavy from day #1, because the road roller guy could not be bothered to drive slow.
Roads in California nice - Most everywhere.
Florida nice pavement but too flat.

Old 02-28-2022 | 05:12 PM
Dubber
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hootsama
Cue a gratuitous shot of @Dubber 's garage.
Hahaha, too kind. Wash in there weekly, but my 911 doesn't see winter duties.

Hot water and a water broom is great to get the underside.

Old 02-28-2022 | 08:16 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maschinetheist
Holy hell, the amount of "I never buy cars from the North" that I see on these threads is funny. Right next to the folks with deviated stitching vents. Cool, go ahead guys - I'll keep buying the cheap cars that you pass on.

Life is too short to let a car sit for 6+ months. if a soccer mom in a $60k+ Tesla/SUV/what-have-you can drive through the winter, I'll do the same in my Porsche. It's a car built in Germany where it snows. And they still make winter tires for them.

OP, I too live in Chicago. When it snows, the roads are usually cleared within hours. After that, it's just dry dust on the roads for a week. Wash your car in a touchless car wash with underside every week and you'll be fine. In the spring, take off the wheels and wheel fenders and clean what you can. As for the few screws/fasteners that get rusty? Well, those can be replaced. My underside looks fairly clean after years of driving. This past winter was super mild anyway.

Obviously don't go out there when it's blizzarding six ways from Sunday - nothing will do well in that unless you're running chains/real winter tires (not that performance winter stuff). Clear day or weekend? The Porsche comes out.

Life is too short to sit here wishing that you could drive your car but couldn't. I could drop dead tomorrow but at least I'll know that I drove my Porsche the day prior and had my fun. I didn't get this car to keep pristine for the next guy. Could've done that with a supermodel instead. Heavens know that my you know what wouldn't satisfy her anyway.
Some of us just drive cars better suited for winter conditions in the winter. The question that was asked is if it will affect the car, and the answer is yes, it will corrode at a faster rate.

It’s your car, but I can think of many other cars more suitable to drive in the winter than a 911, and I do. Like I said if you don’t want to keep it nice, drive it.
Old 03-02-2022 | 01:12 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

All the opinions in the world are just other people's thoughts. I drove my C4s in winter all the time and they were fine. I live in Naples now so no issue but if I moved to a snow state I'd drive it again. I bet they drive em in Germany!
The following 2 users liked this post by TommyV44:
ekam (03-02-2022), MkC2S (03-04-2022)
Old 03-02-2022 | 03:23 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TommyV44
All the opinions in the world are just other people's thoughts. I drove my C4s in winter all the time and they were fine. I live in Naples now so no issue but if I moved to a snow state I'd drive it again. I bet they drive em in Germany!
Interesting statement? ---> My observations of salt/winter driving damage to undersides aren't opinions or thoughts.
I'm from NY originally and know the snow driving drill/salt/etc. I've been witness to Porsche under car rot/rust/terrible oxidation on Porsches from east coast and Canada. Also cars from Florida that lived near water and heavily oxidized suspension parts/brake parts and even body parts like chrome finish/wheels heavily oxidized. Just a fact not opinion or thought. Cars in Florida kept in garage ok but kept in carport or outdoors watch out. ---->And many carports in south Florida my parents lived their for 25 years. Their Lincoln Town car that was in carport was horrible underneath - Everything oxidized/rusted terribly.

Having lived in Seattle for past 35 years I've seen many many east coast and Canada cars that are horrid underneath. A real mess.
Canada cars seem to be the worst. Last year I PPI's a 2007 997S from Vancouver Ca. and was horrible underneath. A rusted mess.
Underside oxidation is why auctions sites like BAT and Pcar require underside photos so condition can be revealed.

So in summary, I just think it is important information for owners or buyers to be aware of the pitfalls of driving your car on salt roads all winter. And good idea always doing PPI which includes inspection of undersides. Having inspected and purchased lots of Porsche's over the years 356 to my 997, it's always a bummer getting the "call" from Indy doing the PPI that the car looks terrible underneath and to walk away.

Last edited by groovzilla; 03-02-2022 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2022 | 09:08 AM
ekam
Drifting

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I keep forgetting there are Pcar owners out there that will never rev their engine above 4k rpm or never drive in the rain.

I do crawl under the car to do oil changes and it never bothered me what it looks like underneath. Then again, I only have a 987, not a Ferrari or CGT...
TommyV44 (03-04-2022)
Old 03-03-2022 | 10:41 AM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Interesting statement? ---> My observations of salt/winter driving damage to undersides aren't opinions or thoughts.
I'm from NY originally and know the snow driving drill/salt/etc. I've been witness to Porsche under car rot/rust/terrible oxidation on Porsches from east coast and Canada. Also cars from Florida that lived near water and heavily oxidized suspension parts/brake parts and even body parts like chrome finish/wheels heavily oxidized. Just a fact not opinion or thought. Cars in Florida kept in garage ok but kept in carport or outdoors watch out. ---->And many carports in south Florida my parents lived their for 25 years. Their Lincoln Town car that was in carport was horrible underneath - Everything oxidized/rusted terribly.

Having lived in Seattle for past 35 years I've seen many many east coast and Canada cars that are horrid underneath. A real mess.
Canada cars seem to be the worst. Last year I PPI's a 2007 997S from Vancouver Ca. and was horrible underneath. A rusted mess.
Underside oxidation is why auctions sites like BAT and Pcar require underside photos so condition can be revealed.

So in summary, I just think it is important information for owners or buyers to be aware of the pitfalls of driving your car on salt roads all winter. And good idea always doing PPI which includes inspection of undersides. Having inspected and purchased lots of Porsche's over the years 356 to my 997, it's always a bummer getting the "call" from Indy doing the PPI that the car looks terrible underneath and to walk away.

Spot on. Automobiles corrode from the inside out.
Old 03-04-2022 | 12:08 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Great day to drive the C4S

ekam (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022 | 12:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Great day to drive it not in the salt and snow too. Did a round trip to Charlotte for a customer meeting. Aside from the 30 miles of construction between Spartanburg and Gastonia, was a 85 degrees and a great day for windows down and sunroof open. What machines these things are.

Got to see a tractor trailer broken down in the middle lane of a 3 lane road, a car on fire on a country road, a controlled (or maybe uncontrolled forest burn), and got rerouted around another accident, but still managed to enjoy myself because of what I was driving.

Quick Reply: Driving the P car in the salt and snow...real advice please...